Replacing rear shock absorbers

PostPost by: JasonJ » Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:08 pm

Good day,

I have been going over my 1969 Elan+2 and starting to think about jobs required for over the winter period, giving the rear suspension a check I noticed slight oil pooling in the spring retaining cup and signs of fluid on retaining cup outer, which would indicate my shock is leaking. I’m hoping I can get replacement inserts to change these out.

Could someone please advise a decent road going replacement, I’m based in Aberdeen Scotland so can source easily from anywhere in the UK.

The car has been converted to solid drive shafts, I would also be interested in hearing about any upgrades that could be suggested. Road use only.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Jason

Update after some reading it seems the struts are oil filled to dissipate heat, between strut and damper, this is what I shall be seeing.
JasonJ
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: MACCA.GLM » Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:51 pm

Hi Jason

I have just done this job on my elan sprint and used Tony Thompson adjustable shocks together with his reduced diameter springs and threaded adjustable spring hangers .They have allowed me to adjust damping and height on the rear of the car as it was too low with the Paul mattey springs and spax shockers.He can also supply koni shocks but they are pricey
They are a good company and know what they are talking about.
Google Tony thompson lotus it will come up

Hope this helps

Regards

G
MACCA.GLM
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JasonJ » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:33 pm

G,

Appreciate the reply, glad to hear you’re happy with your set up.

Cheers
Jason
JasonJ
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: MACCA.GLM » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:28 am

Hi Jason

Forgot to mention if your happy with your plus two ride height I would just replace the inserts as this would keep the car standard, and yes put some engine oil in the strut tube when fitting the new shock inserts. its supposed to keep the insert from over heating

Cheers

G
MACCA.GLM
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JasonJ » Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:43 pm

Thanks G

Ride height is fine, I’m not doing the kind of driving that requires the car to be slammed to the ground, after realising the struts had oil in between strut and damper, I done a little digging and found out the car new old stock inserts fitted about 2 years ago.

But I’m unsure in how I feel about old new stock, when it comes to parts with seals in them.. like a damper. I’m now thinking how old are these parts, seals do deteriorate overtime. Feel of suspension is fine at the minute, no bounce and gradual damp movement which indicates they are still fine

Would be interested in hearing other option about this.

Regards
Jason
JasonJ
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:28 pm

I too have a desire at some point to change mine to adjustable rear struts however I am unsure if i want to go with reduced diameter springs.
I realise that it enable the use of a wider rim but I can't see me ever wanting to do that.

I see TTR do DIY weld on adjusters to retain the standard diameter springs. I just wonder how much hassle it is to to establish the point to weld the adjuster on to the original strut though.
Has anyone on here gone with the TTR weld on adjusters in order to retain the standard diameter springs?

Alan
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:30 pm

+1 For the Thompson stuff. I installed their inserts and springs a few years ago and while I've only done around 2000 miles on them, I'm totally pleased so far. Did the fronts too and have no complaints with the car's handling.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:37 pm

alanr wrote:I too have a desire at some point to change mine to adjustable rear struts however I am unsure if i want to go with reduced diameter springs.
I realise that it enable the use of a wider rim but I can't see me ever wanting to do that.

I see TTR do DIY weld on adjusters to retain the standard diameter springs. I just wonder how much hassle it is to to establish the point to weld the adjuster on to the original strut though.
Has anyone on here gone with the TTR weld on adjusters in order to retain the standard diameter springs?

While I did go with the narrower springs (and they're just as good as the old wide ones at doing the job but should in theory weigh less), I'm guessing that the standard-width setup works the same way with a threaded sleeve to be welded onto the tube. If that's the case then there's not much to it really- I had a professional do the welding and I think he just put the threaded sleeves in such position that they were centred on where the old perches were, which seems like a sensible approach if you want the spring to be at the same height.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MACCA.GLM » Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:06 pm

Hi Alan

If you can do reasonable repairs its an easy job to put the adjustable threaded tube onto the original strut by grinding off the original cup. Make sure you don't grind into the strut tube. you can then fit the threaded tube over the strut tube. it wants to be approx 20 to 25 mm from the top I taped mine in place at the top. I then got a pro welder to do the welding it looks better than my bird poo.
Once that is done take off the tape and put some silicone between the tube and the adjustable thread to stop dirt going in.

you are now ready to fit the dampers

As you have an adjustable thread ,the spring does not need to be clamped to put the unit back onto the chassis.
Much easier. you can then adjust the height where you desire.

Regards
G
MACCA.GLM
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:11 pm

Thanks Veg and G for that info.
All sounds like a straightforward enough job. One for the winter months methinks,

Cheers,

Alan
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: