Elan plus 2 alloy wheels

PostPost by: friedy » Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:49 pm

I refurbed my lotus alloys recently and had blockleys fitted. They did struggle to get em on and need to be fitted from the back. They had the 4 clamps on the rim and put rags underneath to stop damaging, the rims did slip round a bit but eventually got there.
Attachments
20230401_091905.jpg and
friedy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elan4James » Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:43 pm

Yes Alan I went to Blockley Tyres first. A friend recommended them as he had used them before for classic Mini tyres.I took the wheels to them and they tried to fit their tyres from the back of the wheel. They simply would not go over the rim.
Do you know any tyre fitters who have experience of these wheels?
Thanks
Elan4James
New-tral

PostPost by: alanr » Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:50 pm

Ok..
Are you absolutely sure your alloys are definitely the correct 5.5J width rims with the correct rim offset for a +2 using 165/80R13 tyres which is what I assume you are attempting to have fitted?
The thought occurs that, that Dunlop style of alloy wheel was also used on other cars and would have been available in various different sizes and different rim offsets back in the day when Dunlop were making them.

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:07 pm

Seems to me, its the inner diameter of the tyre, or the outer of the rim.
Taking a hair off the tyre, shouldn’t be an issue
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:07 pm

friedy wrote:I refurbed my lotus alloys recently and had blockleys fitted. They did struggle to get em on and need to be fitted from the back. They had the 4 clamps on the rim and put rags underneath to stop damaging, the rims did slip round a bit but eventually got there.

Did you have problems to balance. The yellow dot should be next to the Valve. To reduce number of balance weights
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: friedy » Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:55 pm

No problem with the balancing, I think they were so pleased to get em on they didnt look at the dot :roll: The only thing I found was on one wheel they stuck the weights so close to the edge they just caught the head of the wishbone bolt, thought I had a wheel bearing on the way out for a while :wink: .
Regards alan.
friedy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:16 am

sorry, missed that :shock:

Some tyre shops "match" balance. Now that they are on, taking the air out and spinning the tyre on the rim get the balance best.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elan4James » Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:01 am

Yes Alan I am sure they are the correct wheels. The modern tyres they have tried are too rigid to stretch over the wheel rims. Does anyone know a company that has successfully fitted tyres to these wheels
Elan4James
New-tral

PostPost by: Elan4James » Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:32 am

Friedy did you get your Blockley Tyres fitted by Blockley themselves, and when did they do it. They couldn't fit their 165/80 ×13 on to my Alloys in June.Or did you use another tyre fitter or different size tyre?
Elan4James
New-tral

PostPost by: friedy » Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:40 pm

They are the blockley 165/80 x13 and I just took them to a local tyre place, Rochford tyres and exhausts. Suppose I got lucky, they struggled but managed to fit all 5
Alan.
friedy
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: