Steering Rack Alignment

PostPost by: mcole01 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:16 pm

Hello,

I removed the steering rack from my rusted original +2 chassis. I did nothing to it other than paint it and replace the rubber gaiters. When I came to fit it to my new Spyder chassis I found that while the tie rod end at the left end of the rack engaged with the steering arm with the wheel assembly in the straight ahead position the right tie rod end extends to far so as to engage the steering arm with the wheel assembly splayed out. Please see pictures. I don't understand what's going on or how to correct it. BTW the track rod ends are equidistance from the rack body.

Mike
Attachments
steering rack 1.JPG and
steering rack 2.JPG and
mcole01
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: jono » Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:49 pm

I would start by centering the rack so that you have equal turns left to right from dead centre and then mark with tape. Then wind in your extenders and rod ends on both sides as required so the hubs are roughly parallel then fine tune from there.

Some of the aftermarket rod ends are too long and the added effect is quite marked to the total toe out. They need machining slightly to correct it or else thinner stop nuts putting on.
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ncm » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:27 pm

Are the wishbones new? Compare the lengths to your old ones in case you have been supplied with the shorter Elan Items?

Brian.
ncm
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: