Minilite 13 pouces Elan S4

PostPost by: mar083 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:08 pm

Hello,
I bought a Lotus Elan S4 with 13'' minilite wheels. I just found out that one of the wheels is different. To check the width of the rim, you need to remove the tyre. Before doing this, I measured the width between the 2 outer faces of the rim. I find 12.7mm or 2.54mmx5. Considering the thickness of the rim flanges, this minilite appears to be a 4.5''. On the other hand, one of the rims measures 14.3mm in external width. Which seems to indicate that this one is a 5''. Could someone tell me where to find minilite rims with KO, in 4.5''
With thanks Christian
Attachments
Minilite5''.jpg and
minilite 4,5''.jpg and
mar083
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:22 pm

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean by your measurement "between the 2 outer faces of the rim" (I thought a rim would have one inner face and one outer face): annotating your photo may help to illustrate that more clearly...

You actually could measure or at least estimate the difference of rim width without taking the tires off, by making several measurements with respect to a reference flat support and some basic arithmetics. I suppose the tires are the same on all, so an other indication would be the difference in wall angle or curvature between the purportedly different rims.

I suppose the 2 kinds of wheels are depicted by the two photos, and it's apparent that they are different from the hub: could it be that they have a different offset ?
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: smo17003 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:13 am

Have you measured the spare wheel (assuming you have one)? You could still have 4 identical wheels.
Mike
1967 S3 FHC
1968 S4 FHC
smo17003
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mar083 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:04 pm

Hello,
My spare wheel is not alu. For good explanation I have joint a plan of my wheel
Regards
Christian
Attachments
JANTE COUPEe.png
JANTE COUPEe.png (9.57 KiB) Viewed 1120 times
mar083
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: mar083 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:23 pm

Where do you think I can find the 4.5" minilite rims today?
Thank you
Christian
mar083
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:27 pm

Hi Christian

I assume in your original post you are talking cm and not mm

Regards
Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mar083 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:14 pm

OK excuse me. is CM et not MM.
Very thanks
Christian
mar083
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:58 pm

maybe I missed it, forgive me if so
your second photo shows a ring under the spinner / nut
the first does no, I think

edit: my panasports don't have the rings, but revolution do
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:45 pm

mar083 wrote:Where do you think I can find the 4.5" minilite rims today?
Thank you
Christian

A few years ago, wanting to fit alloy rims to my rather stock S4 (with only minimal inner lip cutting) I searched and tried several options, to no avail (all would require fender widening, it's pretty tight underneath), until I eventually sourced a set of Dunlop 4"1/2. Most (if not all) of the alloy wheels I would find were made to fit plus2 where there is a lot more room, generally 5" or 5.5"...

I suppose that if you are desperate, you could get your wide one (which I suppose do not fit well) cut and welded back narrower, or to have the hub cut off then welded to a 4.5" barrel, to match the remaining of the set (disclaimer: pursue at your own risks, with the help of a proficient professional that would approve such a weld for the intended use, then exercice careful scrutiny of the evolution of the weld with increasing use and load, even at the rear)...
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mar083 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:42 pm

Thank you for your information. But what is the reference of these DUNLOP rims and where can you find them today?
Christian
mar083
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:04 pm

mar083 wrote:Thank you for your information. But what is the reference of these DUNLOP rims and where can you find them today?
Christian

The Dunlop wheels were originallly offered for the Plus2, as you can find out on the forum
https://lotuselan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=31843&start=
thus as 5.5" rims - how 4"1/2 rims were produced and by whom I don't know for sure, in these happy days it was not uncommon that a good idea sparked inspiration...
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: NTG999 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:23 pm

I think the 4 1/2J Dunlop style copy knock on alloy wheels were made by KN Engineering, I have a set that I bought in the early 90s, they got fairly corroded and are now powder coated all black
NTG999
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Lyn7 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:10 am

I am afraid I cannot help with your original question Christian. However the black and silver wheel above is not Dunlop. The Dunlop D1 was an aftermarket wheel and usually bolt on. Cortina's and Sevens might have used them.
The wheel above was marketed as "Brand Lotus" and cast by GKN. It is a slightly different shape from the Dunlop D1.
Lyn7
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: sng » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:04 am

Christian,

I have no experience of Minilite wheels or their suppliers but a quick search on the internet came up with this UK supplier. Maybe others have dealt with them.

http://minilite.co.uk/application.php?a_make=LOTUS

From the website it looks like they supply 5 inch wheels for the Elan. Maybe a previous owner tried to get a replacement 4.5 inch but found they were no longer supplied, every Elan has a story. You could give them a call and see if they can help.

There was a recent post regarding a UK company that were supplying new wheels that were similar in appearance to the originals but you would have to buy 4 new ones.

https://www.imagewheels.co.uk/le-alloy-wheel/

A quick read of the website indicates that they too only supply 5 inch wheels. There are lots of posts on the site regarding clearance offset's and all the other dark arts of wheel fitment.

Simon
sng
New-tral

Total Online: