Pedal Assembly Refurb S3 RHD

PostPost by: smo17003 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:53 pm

Taking a close look at my S3 pedal assembly it has some quite excessive wear where the clutch pedal pivots on the shaft, and also where the shaft (brake pedal) pivots in the main bracket. The accelerator pedal comes off easy enough, just one split pin and a washer, but the brake pedal itself is welded (or brazed?) to the shaft, and then the brake master actuating lever is also then welded at the end of the shaft, there by locking the whole assembly together. I would like to strip down and rebush but it looks like I'll have to grind away one of the welds to release the shaft.
I'd just like to know if anyone has done a full refurb on their pedal assembly and any advise on sourcing and fitting new bushes?

Cheers

Mike
Mike
1967 S3 FHC
1968 S4 FHC
smo17003
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:19 pm

Hi Mike,
I can`t help you with the repairs but you might want to consider the pedal spacing while you are there.
With my wide size ten feet they were too close together. I moved the clutch pedal left by an inch and the brake pedal by half an inch. It make a big difference to me and improved my confidence. The only disadvantage was that I can no longer get my foot past the clutch pedal. I have to move it back and under which is a very small thing compared to the advantages it gave me. The pedal is just mild steel sheet and bends easily enough with a vice and lump hammer. In retrospect 3/8ths and 3/4" may be enough.
Cheers
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: smo17003 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:31 pm

ericbushby wrote:Hi Mike,
I can`t help you with the repairs but you might want to consider the pedal spacing while you are there.
With my wide size ten feet they were too close together. I moved the clutch pedal left by an inch and the brake pedal by half an inch. It make a big difference to me and improved my confidence. The only disadvantage was that I can no longer get my foot past the clutch pedal. I have to move it back and under which is a very small thing compared to the advantages it gave me. The pedal is just mild steel sheet and bends easily enough with a vice and lump hammer. In retrospect 3/8ths and 3/4" may be enough.
Cheers
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC

Hi Eric,
I did make a note of your original post on the pedal spacing and adjusted the pedals on my S4 accordingly to accomodate my size 12's!!! There's so much wear in the S3 pedals they're almost self-adjusting :D

Mike
Mike
1967 S3 FHC
1968 S4 FHC
smo17003
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:37 am

Ok Mike, my input was not necessary then.
It seems like you are in for a major strip down and rebuild of the pedal assembly.
It is now 10 years since I did that modification and I still think it was one of the most significant jobs I have done on my Elan.
Perhaps it will help others. Should anyone be interested, search for `Pedal Spacing` in the box at the top of this page.
Cheers
Eric
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: smo17003 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:45 pm

Well I think I've probably answered my own question. The parts book shows the bushes as part number 12DU08, (although there's no repair procedure in the repair manual). It appears that this is a common reference for a Split Glacier Bush 3/4" ID x 7/8" OD, so I've ordered a few up. I'll still have to remove the master cylinder actuating lever with an angle grinder (and re-weld), but it looks like it's doable. I'll try and post some photos of the stripped down assembly when I do the job.
Mike
1967 S3 FHC
1968 S4 FHC
smo17003
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: