Anyone Need To Fill In A Sunroof Hole?

PostPost by: simon.mitchell » Fri May 21, 2004 6:23 pm

Having just fitted a webasto sunroof to my plus 2 I'm left with a sunroof sized plus 2 roof section. A long shot I know but is this of any use to anyone before it goes in the bin - maybe to fill in the sunroof hole in your roof?

I can send it for the cost of the postage or deliver to Castle Combe at the end of the month. I'll supply dimensions if anyone thinks they can use it.

Cheers,
Simon
simon.mitchell
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Fri May 21, 2004 6:55 pm

Hi Simon

I have messaged you that I would very much like it. Having said that if you find someone who's need is greater than mine you can let them have it instead!

By the way, I got hold of another (stripped) bodyshell that was up on ebay, and I intend to do a fast(ish) paint job on that and use it on a standard chassis. Then I want to build the other car into a Zetec when finaces allow. A fine plan.

All the best

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Sat May 22, 2004 8:24 pm

Where did you get the Webasto Kit?
How much was it?
Was it easy to fit?
Cheers
Tim
1972 +2S130
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: simon.mitchell » Sun May 23, 2004 7:46 am

Mine is actually a Britax, very similar to the Webasto. There seem to be two types, one with the wooden frame and one which has a steel inner strengtening piece which sits under the roof inside the car. Mine is the latter type and came from a crashed MGBGT. Not at all difficult to fit - just cut the hole, mark and drill the position of the fixing bolts and bolt it in. I was a bit worried about the rigidity of the roof panel but it seems fine now that it's all in place. A bit stiff in operation, probably due to the curvature of the Plus 2 roof being slightly different to the MG but it should free up with use.

I've fitted it temporarily to check it's all OK but I need to take it out again soon so that I can prepare and spray the car - if you're interested I can send you some pics when I do.

They seem to come up regularly for sale on ebay, in the ?150 - 250 price range.

Cheers,
Simon
simon.mitchell
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Lotus fan » Sun May 23, 2004 11:15 am

Yes please I would like it very much !!!!!!
Please e-mail me as I need a roof !!!!!!!!
Lotus fan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: simon.mitchell » Sun May 23, 2004 5:56 pm

Hi,

I've promised Berni29 first refusal (see earlier post) so it's over to you guys to decide who's need is greatest..

Let me know once you decide - as I said before I don't want anything for it except a good home!

Cheers,

Simon
simon.mitchell
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Sun May 23, 2004 6:41 pm

Roof fight!!

Hi Lotus Fan, I will tell you what. I will measure the sunroof hole in my crashed car, and if it is the same size as the one in my "new" bodyshell, I will fit my sunroof back in and you can have the roof section. Even though I never liked the sunroof. If the old sunroof will not fit then will reallllly need the cut out roof panel!

Simon, what are the dimensions of the panel please?

I always found that apart from being stiff (never greased it though for some unknown reason) the wind used to blow right onto the top of my head in a really uncomfortable annoying manner.

By the way, I am hoping to get up to Casle Coombe so hopefully will see some of y'all there.

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Lotus fan » Sun May 23, 2004 8:56 pm

Hi Berni,
I actually posted a message about filling in my sun roof hole on 18th April and only had one reply !?! I've had my Plus 2 since '97 and the sunroof was great in the hot weather but now I'm restoring the car and when I removed the webasto it fell to bits !!! so I thought about filling in the hole. I did think about cutting the whole roof section off and replacing the whole roof but if someone has got just the 'sunroof hole panel' then that would be better than cutting the roof off !! (does that make sence??)
I wonder if there are anymore 'sunroof hole panels' about ? and then we'll all be happy :D
But as you asked for it first you obviously get first refusal.........

Heres hoping you don't need it :rolleyes:

All the best with your restoration.

Ian.
Lotus fan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: simon.mitchell » Tue May 25, 2004 1:28 pm

Hi Berni,

Sorry for the delay in replying - the dimensions of the panel are 770mm x 770mm and I made the cut 125mm back from the front screen 'lip'.

Let me know if you still want it and I'll bring it to Castle Combe, otherwise I'll arrange with Ian how to get it to him.

Simon
simon.mitchell
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Fri May 28, 2004 5:55 pm

Hi There

Thanks for the measurements. I can get away without using it so feel free to let Ian have it.

All the best

Berni
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Lotus fan » Fri May 28, 2004 8:00 pm

Thanks Berni :D

All the best.....

Simon, I'm going on holiday on 8th June - 24th June so would it be better to wait until I'm back before we sort something out ?

You can e-mail me at [email protected]

Can't wait till I have a solid roof again !!!!! :lol:

Cheers,

Ian.
Lotus fan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: zuckerlowe » Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:21 pm

Hi,
I have a roof section that I intend to glass into the hole where my webasto currently sits. If anyone has already done this job then I'd welcome the advice.
Kevin Strutt gave me the roof from his car when he converted his +2 and now a couple of years later I have the time to do the job!

Steve 1968 +2

P.S. When it's done I'll offer up the sunroof mechanism. I prefer the roof line as Lotus intended.
zuckerlowe
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: