Suspension Rebuild

PostPost by: Ramsden » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:12 am

Next on my list of +2 jobs is renewal of the suspension arm bushes front and rear together with the AR bar rubbers.

As I am a road only creature, I'm planning on staying with the standard rubber bushes. There are more than enough squeaks and rumbles in the car without adding the potential for more.

I was wondering:

1. Can anyone recommend a good supplier of replacement bushes? I recall posts a while ago commenting that not all replacements were created equal.

2. Am I correct in thinking that removal/re-fitment of bushes is a simple press out/press in job? Has anyone experienced any difficulties or have any tips regarding this stage? Is a hydralic press required or can the job be done with an appropriatley sized drift.

3. I hear tell that it is possible to remove the rear A arms without disassembling the drive shafts and struts. Has anyone tried this? I assume some jacking is required to support the rest of the suspension components. How much jacking is needed and which surface should be used for this?

4. Are there any jobs I should be considering doing at the same time? For instance, are the front upright steering pivots known to wear?

Thanks in advance for all comments

Simon
Ramsden
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:42 am

My S4 has poly bushes from Mick Miller fitted and I would say that the ride is not harsher only more direct and tight. Do not be put off by poly bushes.

Whilst you have the suspension appart I would have a good look at the dampers. I have just replaced some old Armstrong units with new Gaz units from TTR and the improvement is significant. The old Armstrongs were obviously well passed their best. :o
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:32 pm

Hi Simon,
Just finished a 10 month long full suspension rebuild on my +2 (took that long due to only being able to put in 30 mins work here and there.
As to getting the rubber bushes in and out I gave up after breaking a vice. Ended up getting Paul matty to do them. Apparently the rear wishbone bushes took a LOT of persuasion.
I replaced with rubber as I got a good deal on them and money was V tight. It also seemed to me that there was actually very little rubber in the bushes anyway. I will say however that putting polyurethane on my spitfire transformed the performance"!
I think with a bit of persuasion you should be able to get the rear wishbones out without removing the strut and rotoflexes. However bare in mind that I discovered that after 30 years the Lotocone on one side had completely disintegrated leaving the strut with no proper location on the chassis. so it may be worth replacing them as well. It is also worth checking the state of the bushes dif thrust? rods, mine had the consistancy of tar!
This can go on a bit, and I ended up with new bearings, discs pads, sliding spline drive shafts etc. but hey, at least it is all now up to spec!
Cheers
Tim
1972 +2S130
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jeff jackson » Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:08 pm

Last night I removed my rear A frames, and you don't have to remove the damper / spring. Just support the hub carrier with a scissor jack, and undo the bolts in the hub carrier and the chassis. Comes right out.
Found out in the process that the A frame has bent the chassis, so new chassis needed. Gutted. Wasted my time painting the front of the chassis when renewing the front suspension!!!
Jeff
jeff jackson
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: