Radial Run Out On Tyres

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:18 am

I have been driving around on my +2 with original steel wheels and budget tyres. Everything is fine up to 70 mph, but ar higher speeds (when the law allows!) I get vibration from the steering wheel similar to wheel imbalance.

I have reduced this quite a bit by moving balance weight around on the wheel, but a little remains. The wheels move in and out (lateral run out) by only 1mm or so. My feeling is that this is OK? Of more concern is the radial run-out. i.e. spin a wheel and watch the tyre tread go up and down. This is about 2 or 3 mm with my cheap as chips tyres. The wheels appears to be OK for this run-out.

Does anyone elso have this trouble, and is it just a case of getting better tyres?

Dave Chapman.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Rob_LaMoreaux » Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:37 pm

The car is really sensitive to that. I moved one wheel to the back to improve that problem. Now that wheel is the spare in the boot.

You could get the tires shaved true, just don't lock up the brakes and flatspot them.

So yes it is a common problem and the quick solution is to move the problem tire/wheel to the rear of the car where it is not as noticeable. If all the tires do it then shave the tires or get different ones (what the owners manual recommends).

Rob
Rob_LaMoreaux
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:35 am

Time to replace the budget tires! Maybe do two at a time, just keep the size and rating the same. The difference can be remarkable, almost like driving a different car. They're small and narrow and a little imbalance can telegraph strongly up to the steering wheel, just when you're starting to really have some fun.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: