Oil filter wrench

PostPost by: billwill » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:35 am

types26/36/74 wrote:[quote="hatman"A screwdriver jammed straight through the middle of it. 8)

That works but its a bit messy.
I have one with a chain, simlar to this one and its the best type I have ever used.[/quote]

I've got one like that but with a fabric strap instead of a chain.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Witofthestaircase » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:39 pm

For anyone who stumbles on this the answer is Oil Filter wrench 74/76mm 15 flutes Easy!
Witofthestaircase
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: S2Jay » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:59 pm

Not sure if this type has been described, so I'll add it. I have been quite pleased with the operation of this, and it is far easier to pic it than to describe. It adjusts to a variety of sizes within a range, there are smaller units for the very small diameter filters. You can stick in the square end of a socket drive with any amount of extension, it works from the center of the filter rather than the side, digs in without regard to oil & dirt, and can be used to remove or tighten if need be.

Jay
Attachments
P1030982A.jpg and
Socket Drive Oil Filter Wrench
just looking for clues at the scene....
S2Jay
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: robertverhey » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:35 pm

I've been known to resort to a hammer and chisel on the lip of filter. But then I like living dangerously. Doing it up hand-tight only will save you the grief next time
robertverhey
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:03 am

If you don't mind a brutal approach, I used to push a screwdriver through the filter body, it's very easy to use the leverage turn turn them that way!
Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:44 am

I'll second Jay's type. I should add that mine (I'm sure Jay's too) has a cam action built in so when turning counter clockwise, the jaws tighten up on the filter. By far the easiest to use out of all mentioned.

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:39 pm

mikealdren wrote:If you don't mind a brutal approach, I used to push a screwdriver through the filter body, it's very easy to use the leverage turn turn them that way!
Mike

It seems on most of the cars on which I change the oil, no matter how clean I am with the initial unscrewing, the filter is tipped to one side and oil spills all over as it's coming off so perhaps the screwdriver method is as good as any! :roll:
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: PBrown60 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:41 pm

The best filter wrench I ever had looked like a big spring that grabbed the whole filter can, it had a hex fitting on the top for a wrench or socket. It finally broke and I have been unable to find another one. Brookstone used to sell one but they no longer carry it.

Paul
PBrown60
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: