Fed up with...

PostPost by: mark030358 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:00 am

.... the paint peeling off my garage floor.

So... as I'm having an extension built and the garage floor levelled at the same time whats the best stuff to seal it with so the tyres won't pull the sealer off.

I'm tempted to go for Porcelelain tiles, but maybe thats overkill.

cheers

Mark
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:16 am

Sounds as though you have PVA on the floor now. Keeps the dust down but has zero durability. Take it all off down to the bare concrete then paint with an epoxy type floor paint. Expensive but you'll never need to do it again. Ask for the stuff they use on factory floors. It comes in clear or colours - your choice. 8)
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:30 am

OR... Use some of the floor coverings available for garage floors. They are like big 500mm sq plastic /nylon or whatever tiles and they clip together. I'm thinking going this route now as I have coated my floor twice now and it does not like a car sitting on it. Even after leaving it for two weeks to dry off. High quality floor paint too.. It is good but... I do find it does come off eventually.

Thinking now of using the floor covering. I have some in my workshop and its been there fro 10years or so now. It is more expensive than the paint though.

Have fun...

AB ..... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:36 am

If it is new concrete wash it several time with pool acid and wash it again with water befor painting.
An other option is to use your old carpits or rugs, they keep the car & garage warmer and you dont see the oil leaks :lol: ... its also great for laying on, downside is its a bit more difficult to drag a trolly jack over it and harder to find those nut & bolts you drop :roll:
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tcsoar » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:40 pm

Hi,

As Alex has mentioned, I use the clip together tiles. The ones I have are the dense sponge type with a checker plate pattern on them. It is not cheap to do a large garage in one hit but I did mine with a couple of packets at a time from costco. They are warm to lay on when working on the car :D , still show the oil leaks :( , and if you drop something fragile it has a much better chance of surviving 8) .
The only draw back is that although they are quite tough they dont like heavy sharp objects falling on them, but if you damage one you can swap it for another elsewhere, and although the tyres do not damage them they will leave a nice tread pattern on them if parked in the same spot for a few weeks.

Chris.
tcsoar
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Crusty » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:06 pm

If using tiles dont forget to use high load adhesive availibul from BAL just for car showrooms and garages. Dont forget tiles chip when you drop things on them. Nice quarry tiles allways scrup up well..
-~------~-----~------~------~-
>.....ELAN 1969 S4 SE COUPE.....<
>...SEE YOU ON THE FLIP SIDE...<
-~------~-----~------~------~-
Crusty
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:03 am

There are several home improvement store epoxy coatings, such as rustoleum. They are not bad, but last only a few years before they start to lift. It takes a lot of effort to do it right, so might as well use good stuff.

My friend has this on his very busy race shop floor. It always cleans up and looks like new. Its called "Hard Deck" epoxy floor coating.

http://www.airtechcoatings.com/index.html

Regards,
Dan Wise
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: