Page 2 of 3

Re: what kind of knock off mallet was originally included?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:20 am
by StressCraxx
oldelanman wrote:
holywood3645 wrote:Both my first (1974) an more recent 1969 S4dhc's had Thor Copper/Hide combination hammers.
James

Hi James,
Were they both as originally supplied ?
Seems likely that both types were used - possibly according to availability at the time. Paul Matty in the UK lists what they refer to as the "original" hammer and it looks like the lead one, however SJ Sportscars - also in the UK - show a copper/hide type in their parts list, although they do not call it "original", so who knows. Since Thor would have been the most likely supplier of both types maybe someone could ask them what they supplied.....no I am not volunteering !
PM Lead mallet.JPG


The second image is exactly the hammer I have, complete with mushroomed ends and grease on the handle.

Regards,
Dan

Re: what kind of knock off mallet was originally included?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:51 am
by holywood3645
I didn't own either car from new, so i can't honestly say. All I can say is, A Copper/Hide Thor hammer was found in the trunk of each car when I got my hands on them. However, I do think the 1969 S4 dhc's had the Copper/Hide supplied by lotus, but could be wrong.

That dosen't mean other cars, even the same year/model could have had different hammers supplied. There are a few orginial owners here that can maybe answer (Saildrive) Keith has owned his 1969 S4 dhc from new.


James

Re: what kind of knock off mallet was originally included?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:47 pm
by Gordon Sauer
Out of my 67 built S3 DHC, this looks to be a lead headed, 10 1/2 inch hammer that weighs about 2 pounds and as pictured matches the one in the parts manual. Bought the car when it was about four years old and assume it to be original as are the Jack and tool roll in appearance,Gordon Sauer

Re: what kind of knock off mallet was originally included?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:10 pm
by pharriso
So it would appear that Thor 26-7742 (lead) or 03-212 (Copper / Raw Hide) are current equivilents.

I have attached the Thor catalog for reference.

Re: what kind of knock off mallet was originally included?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:33 pm
by pamitchell
Hi Roger and all;

I have the same hammer as Roger's. I believe it is original to my S4.

Re: what kind of knock off mallet was originally included?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:44 pm
by PBrown60
Thanks everyone.

Paul

Re: what kind of knock off mallet was originally included?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:07 am
by Robbie693
oldelanman wrote:
holywood3645 wrote:Both my first (1974) an more recent 1969 S4dhc's had Thor Copper/Hide combination hammers.
James

Hi James,
Were they both as originally supplied ?
Seems likely that both types were used - possibly according to availability at the time. Paul Matty in the UK lists what they refer to as the "original" hammer and it looks like the lead one, however SJ Sportscars - also in the UK - show a copper/hide type in their parts list, although they do not call it "original", so who knows. Since Thor would have been the most likely supplier of both types maybe someone could ask them what they supplied.....no I am not volunteering !
PM Lead mallet.JPG


I can confirm the hammer sold by PM is of the lead variety

Robbie

Re: what kind of knock off mallet was originally included?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:01 pm
by tonyabacus
I seem to recall that my first S4 purchased at 9months old, came with a lead hammer. I also remember that lead was used as it did less damage to the chrome ears on car wheels spinners. Over the years I have seen many elans and others where the ears have been in poor shape and in most cases a copper hammer had been used. Perhaps this website will help explain the reasons for different heads and use.

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/wheels/wl105.htm

Re: what kind of knock off mallet was originally included?

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:42 am
by woodcock
This is the well used mallet that came with my Elan back in 1966

Re: what kind of knock off mallet was originally included?

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:49 am
by theelanman
woodcock wrote:This is the well used mallet that came with my Elan back in 1966


:lol:

I hope it didnt look like that....in 1966

Re: what kind of knock off mallet was originally included?

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:17 pm
by gjz30075
Maybe you can heat it and put it back in shape; unless you like its patina.

Greg Z

Re: what kind of knock off mallet was originally included?

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:41 pm
by Tonyw
Hi all,

Sarto must be cringing right now..........who wants to belt the crap out of his three eared spinners when you can get a proper tool from Sarto.

Tonyw

Re: what kind of knock off mallet was originally included?

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:44 pm
by tonyabacus
Greg
Funny you should say that but in the US you could(still can?) buy a mould kit for making or reshaping a lead hammer. It used old lead wheel weights that were melted down and poured into the mould.

One of the reasons I recall you do not see too many lead hammers for sale anymore is Health and Safety connected to lead poisoning.

Paul Matty still sells a lead hammer supplied by Thor as I just had a new one delivered.

Using one of the various tools to remove/fit spinners is ok when you are at home but carrying the tool, torque wrench and other 'essential' tools around in the car is not always convenient, after all the faithful hammer has been used for close on a hundred years.
Tony

Re: what kind of knock off mallet was originally included?

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:30 pm
by PBrown60
I think I will get something like this. Soft face dead blow hammer.

Thanks for all the feed back.

Paul

Re: what kind of knock off mallet was originally included?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:46 am
by sutol45
Gordon Sauer wrote:Out of my 67 built S3 DHC, this looks to be a lead headed, 10 1/2 inch hammer that weighs about 2 pounds and as pictured matches the one in the parts manual. Bought the car when it was about four years old and assume it to be original as are the Jack and tool roll in appearance,Gordon Sauer

That is the original Lotus supplied hammer!

Lotus did not supply 'Thor' or any other copper/hide hammer, just a simple typically cost reduced lead hammer.

Anything else is NOT and was NOT original Lotus supply!

Not that it matters of course, but here you areā€¦