Brake pipe bending tool

PostPost by: martinbrowning » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:02 pm

Can anybody recommend a good brake pipe bending tool? There are plenty around, ranging in price from a few pounds up to sixty/seventy pounds. I know that you get what you pay for but don't want a cheap tool that just doesn't do the job properly.

Thanks, Martin B
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
72 Europa Special, 72 Sprint, 72 Plus 2
martinbrowning
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:24 pm

Martin,
I have struggled with brake pipes, and I have not found one tool for all situations.

I use:-
Sykes Pickavant No 025600
Sykes Pickavant No 021600
Cromwell Tools order code KEN-588-6300K

Cromwell tools use the trade name Kennedy and are based in Leicester. I have looked on their web site, and cannot find a branch in Bellfast. I phoned their HQ and they gave me the following contact for Ireland (I hope this is North not South)

Paul Cotterrel. Phone No 0035314505811

This number has more digits than I would expect.

With respect to pipe bending, I straighten the piece from the coil first. I do this by using 3 rollers in a row the first and third in one line, and the second or central roller positioned so that only a staight tube will pass through the rollers. Pull your piece of tube through the rollers, several times trying not to let it twist, and eventually the tube will be almost straight.

Try some test bends before you attempt the finished item. Mark the piece of tube (I use felt tip pen) bend the tube, you will probably now have the bend you want but in the wrong place. Use the marks to work out where you should have started from to get the bend where you want it. Repeat this process until you are happy that you can put a bend where you want it.

The job is not easy, but with persistence you should get there. Do not expect to get it right first time.

Regards,
Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:05 pm

Salut

An alternative is to use Goodridge braided hose throughout - I just got mine done and the material cost was less than copper - about ?150. Apparently Goodridge can make you a complete system if you give them the measurements. You might possibly need a crimping tool depending on routing.

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:56 pm

I know that copper is expensive now, I just weighed some in at ?4600 per tonne but ?150 for brake pipes on one vehicle?????

My roll of Kunifer cost less than a tenner, I can remember the price but not how many years ago though, it must be a few decades!!!!!
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:55 pm

Salut Chancer

You're right - I was going by the ready-made kits on eBay. The last roll (5m ?) of brake pipe I bought was about ?20 including VAT; but unless you've invested, or can borrow, very expensive tools it's time-consuming and painful to work with. I did manage a nice run with cheap tools from the brake master to the servo, but I wouldn't fancy doing a whole car unless the body was off.

IMHO the Goodridge stuff looks good under the bonnet and there's no worries about bending in the right places.

Not OE, of course, but some might say the extra cost is outweighed by easier and neater installatuion.

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: martinbrowning » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:41 pm

Richard, Many thanks for your very full reply. Yes, the telephone number is Southern Irish, but no matter. I'll look at the Sykes tools and go from there.
Vernon, thanks for the suggestion about Goodridge pipes but I want to keep to the original spec. (Sorry - I'm an unashamed purist).

Hope you all enjoyed your Bank Holiday,

Martin B
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
72 Europa Special, 72 Sprint, 72 Plus 2
martinbrowning
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: