Scissor Lifts

PostPost by: jono » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:44 pm

Does anyone on here use a lift similar to this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-LIFT-MID- ... 4ad555c619

I am thinking of splashing out on a lift for the garage which would be suitable for use with the Plus 2 and Mini

If anyone uses one I would be grateful to hear of the upside/downsides or any other suggestions

Cheers

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:44 pm

Jon,

I don't have one, but three of my friends have four post lifts. They all considered a scissor lift, but decided that the mechanism obstructed access when the car was lifted.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Plus 2 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:49 am

Hi Jon,

I have to agree with Richard's friends.

Having been offered one very similar on a free trial basis I found the mid lifts not really a great advantage in working height and was happier just with jacks, ramps and axle stands lying down on the floor.

The operation of lift really also requires a very smooth surface on the roller wheels and I had to use a metal plate underneath.

Obviously gearbox outage from underneath on some cars would not work either.

I have a lot of expensive tools and never regretted the outlay, even a large towable cherry picker as I have no other way of structural repairs on some of my properties roofs. Even though some tools are used very seldom I have always wanted them on hand having at one time 13 classic cars and have never considered them to be a bad investment/bang for the buck....................

If I was doing regular brake work or shock replacements at home then perhaps I might invest in one. However it is quite a costly outlay in my opinion for what I feel I would not really use that often, especially as there are other less costly alternatives..

Consider your exact use and where/what surface you would be using it on and if in the garage if you have the height.

Hope this helps your decision

Regards

Steve
Attachments
013.JPG and
The one and only genuine registered PLU5 2 Image
Plus 2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:57 am

Jono
Get the mini-digger out and get yourself a pit..

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:55 am

Thanks for all your comments guys - the observations regarding access were my thoughts exactly hence my post to canvass views - it seems my concerns are not unflounded.

John - yes, I would do that especially as I am extending the garage right now....running sand is the problem though :shock:
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:40 am

What about one of these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-POST-LIFT-C ... 1441516761

Does anyone have one and are they any good?

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:34 pm

I use a two post MaxJax. Great if you have a limited ceiling height like I have and cant fit the normal full height lifts

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Plus 2 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:01 pm

jono wrote:What about one of these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-POST-LIFT-C ... 1441516761

Does anyone have one and are they any good?

Jon

Hi,

Can't really comment on this particular model quality but the 2 post style of ramp is now the more popular and certainly eliminates problems of restrictions from underneath, which allows additional items like engine/axle lowering support lifts to easily slide underneath.

In saying that when we moved our manufacturing production processes from 'engine drop' to 'engine stuff up' in effect the body was lowered onto the engine and subframe chassis assembly I had to renew our entire prototype workshop ramps from 4 poster platform lifts to these 2 post type lifts as it was no longer possible to remove/winch the engines out from above.

At first I had a few of this style of ramp fitted, but soon found that door access opening on the vertical posts was not practical and indeed depending on positioning of the sliding feet relative to jacking areas actually impeded full door opening for any body/electrical work that was being undertaken and often the cars would have to be worked on 'off ramp' for some jobs so had to have a free space next to each one of these style ramps.

As a result the rest of the workshop was then fitted with 'SLIFT' ramps which were buried underground so no vertical posts above ground. This allowed for a lot more vehicles to be worked on within the workshops.

Big job on the installation and had to dig about 10ft down but the ramps then dropped in as a cassette with no posts above ground. A very interesting period as we discovered old buildings on the Coventry site underground from where WW2 plane engines were built.

As the Lotus is a reasonably narrow car compared to our large luxury sports saloons it may not be as much of a problem and the price seems exceptionally reasonable.

If the main purpose is for working underneath then these ramps are a good idea however remember even if you have the height to install one you will then have posts sticking up which will be an annoying restriction for other interior jobs. If you have a double garage and can maintain an open space alongside as well then you would have the best possible situation without the need of a JCB and if I remember correct the 'SLIFTS' back 20 years ago cost around 10K GBP each before installation ground works.

One other thing we found that with the engine/gearbox dropped out due to the weight of rear wheel drive cars the car could become slightly biased on balance and it became standard practice to have to tie down/strap the car to the arms as an additional safety requirement.

Regards

Steve
Last edited by Plus 2 on Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Plus 2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:29 pm

Like Rohan I bought a MaxJax 2 post lift - it is great - I have the same vertical shop height (8 ft) problem.

The major advantage is that the whole underside and suspention is clear to work on. I use a rolling chair under the vehicle. It is also handy for lifting the body off of the chassis and I can lift one vehicle up and store another under it. It is also fully portable - if you move take it with you. It cost me about $2400 Canadian with taxes to my shop door.

Bill
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
"Keep your stick on the ice, boys."
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:23 pm

I found with my Plus 2 that you can bias the location of the car on the MaxJax hoist and that you can get one door fully open if you want while on the hoist. With the narrower Elan even if you centre it on the hoist you can get good access to the interior through both doors and its much easy with the car a metre of the ground to work under the dash I find.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:24 am

If you do not have the budget or space for a MaxJaxx lift, or would like something portable, one of my "door slammer" racer friends uses a bendpak quickjack lift both at home and at the track. It is great for most tasks, but won't lift high enough if you want to lift the body from the chassis.

In the US they sell for about $1000 including shipping.
http://www.bendpak.com/Shop-Equipment/QuickJack/BL-3500.aspx
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Plus 2 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:05 am

Probably well worth a check/comparison of the manufacturers specifications for distance between vertical posts vs the models as I am sure there is probably a variance. Some 2 post scissorlift models I think like the MaxJax possibly can be varied at the point of installation but other models have a base plate linked between the two posts and the distance is a fixed measurment for installation.

Certainly the reviews I have seen on the MaxJax have always been good, albeit perhaps a little more expensive. There is a seller on eBay sold quite a lot and has 100% feedback too.

Also whilst ALL these ramps for conformity today have to be fitted with safety devices I recall many years ago on an older hydraulic type lift ramp parking a car underneath with another on top overnight. Whilst the ramp safety devices incorporated burst/cut pipe safety parachute valves it did not account for a slight weep problem that had occurred and in the morning we had a gearbox impressed on the roof of the car below. Not sure what may have happened had it been left for a week or so.

Certainly the modern ramps have many additional safety features and as well as the up/down levers on the SLIFTs we had there was also a lock mechanism lever that was engaged before working underneath the car.

Regards

Steve
Plus 2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:08 am

I recently purchased a MaxJax lift through Costco, when they were on sale in their on line catalog. They cut the list price by $400USD and offered free shipping. Used it for the first time two weeks ago to pull the engine and transmission on a recently purchased Elan. Worked a treat.

Rob Walker
26-4889
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:21 am

Rob,

I agree, the MaxJaxx lift is a treat. I will proably buy one to lift the body from my Elan for a full resto in a few years time.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:58 am

Hi Jon.
I also went with the MaxJax 2 post, mainly as my garage is standard height, it's multi positional using additional anchor bolts and that it can be easily removed for storage, even though I have a 2 bay garage.

Rohan point re the bias location of the +2, and door opening is very valid and a useful point.

There has been much discussion on this forum re the pro & cons of 2 & 4 post lifts, a search should find them.

Purchased mine from the UK distributer at a total cost of ?1818, including vat and delivery, in Nov 2011. Wow is it really 3yrs ago, I note that on the UK Web Site the price has gone up by ?100 + vat.

It is an excellent product and straight forward to install. It must be installed on a good concrete base, minimum requirements being, " 2500-3000 PSI 4" thick"

I do agree with others re 4 post lifts, I would not leave my +2 on the 2 Post lift for weeks on end with the suspension lowered.

This is a link to the UK Web Site, it is very informative. If interested in installation, click on the "Video" tab then select MaxJax Installation.
Also have a look at the Specification and FAQ which has lots of info.

Link. http://maxjaxuk.com/

At present my body is on the lift while I complete fitting the new carpets and then I can reunite the body to the rolling chassis. Looking forward to using the lift for this part of my restoration. :D

All the best in your selection. At my age, it was one of the best garage related purchases I have made.
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next

Total Online: