Rear hub puller

PostPost by: martinbrowning » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:45 pm

Hi there, Just wondered whether anybody has seen/bought/used the rear hub puller sold by Kelvedon? Looks to be a good piece of kit and, more importantly, does not rely on knocking the proverbial out of a spinner.

Cheers

Martin B
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
72 Europa Special, 72 Sprint, 72 Plus 2
martinbrowning
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: redskatejbf » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:38 pm

O.K. Martin I will reply, I have one and found it does what it `says on the tin`, a bit expensive but it does the job. Load up the puller with / on the jacking bolt if it does not release the flange get a gas torch ( for soldering copper tube etc. ) and heat up the back face of the flange and in total desperation if that does not work, whack the bolt with a 2lbs. hammer on the jacking bolt. Its never failed with me.

Regards John.
The lines fall unto me in pleasant places, yea I have a goodly heritage.
redskatejbf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: martinbrowning » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:41 pm

Thanks for the reply John - think I'll order one.

Martin
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
72 Europa Special, 72 Sprint, 72 Plus 2
martinbrowning
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: redskatejbf » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:40 pm

Hi Martin, I have remembered a addition to my method of removing the flange. I initially fitted the puller and loaded it up with the jacking bolt and a very large spanner. It did not budge and I was concerned that the axle / shaft would be damaged by the load I was exerting on it by the jacking bolt. I removed the puller and cut out and fitted a a/alloy disc between the jacking bolt and the shaft with a dab of grease on both sides of the alloy disc, this disc acted as a sacrificial plate to protect the shaft and the drill centre in the shaft from being damaged by the load being exerted on it.
Also if heat is required on the back face of the flange, keep the flange turning slowly by hand to avoid any heat distortion.

Regards, John.
The lines fall unto me in pleasant places, yea I have a goodly heritage.
redskatejbf
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: