Draper oil pump xp65

PostPost by: a d price » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:58 pm

Ever so handy oil suction tool which you insert down the dipstick hole. Saves you getting under the car and making a mess. Changed the oil in my Audi in twenty mins and as the oil filter is at the top this was easily done as well
Highly recommended
a d price
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:54 pm

Yes I use one on my Skoda, probably the same engine as yours, it avoids removing the undertray which now is nothing more than some oily degraded sponge resting on a sheet of plastic!!! Oil changes are now quick and easy, no jacking up grovelling underneath and getting very dirty from the oily undertray.

With my top mounted inverted o?l filter I can also suck out a significant quantity of old o?l from the filter housing.

One mod I have made is to use a 3 foot length of copper fuel pipe to extend the hose, that way I can be sure that its at the bottom of the sump (I can feel it) and not coiled up above that level.

Other than that a great tool that I should have bought years before, mines an E-bay purchase but they all look similar.

I also used it to flush through and renew my brake fluid recently.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:53 pm

I am slightly concerned that changing oil this way does not removed the 'sludge' and any fine metal particles at the bottom of the sump? It's one thing sucking up oil through a thin dipstick hole and I assume via a narrow tube, but is it as efficient as getting the engine nice and hot and removing the sump plug so you have a nice flow of oil through a fairly large hole? I suppose as long as you change your oil on a regular basis this is not a problem?

Carl
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:16 am

+1 warm engine and remove sump plug to drain sludge with oil.
Before starting an engine after rebuild is it possible to use the oil pump to fill the oil gallery 8)
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:38 pm

I like the nice hot engine & drain out the bottom method, at least once in a while, but I do also use a vacuum extractor. Mine is a Pela, like this https://www.mailspeedmarine.com/oil-ext ... Gwod1o8AUg It was bought for use on my boat engine as there is no way to drain from the bottom, the Perkins sits right down in the bilge, with bulkheads all round & the sump is only just off the bottom of the hull. This is the case with many boats, so they have always had their oil changed by suction through the dip stick hole, & I have to say that those I have pulled apart, diesel or petrol, have had no more sludge in them than a similar engine that has had it's oil changed in the traditional manner. I think it's important to make sure you are getting right to the bottom, & like chancer, I use a length of copper tube to assist in this. You do have to be a bit careful not to get the engine oil too hot, or the plastic receiver can go very soft & implode on it's self, Yes, I found that out the hard way :shock: :lol: But they are a good clean, no fuss way of draining your oil. I keep looking at these, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121575316624? ... 1436.l2649 & wondering if it would make life even easier. I like the idea that you could just pump the old oil straight into the container that you are going to dispose of it in, no decanting from extractor to a can.

Tim
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: