Heating the Garage

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:11 pm

What's the general consensus on heating the garage/workshop when working at this time of year? In fact, is there a consensus?

I don't heat the garage at all.
There is plenty of natural ventilation.
I leave the car windows fully open.
The bonnet/hood is left up, if the engine has been run.

The reason for no heat is my attempt to avoid condensation.

However, if heat is not a problem, then great, because I don't really fancy another winter out there like last year. There was no snow etc to speak of, and some might say it was mild by comparison, but that bloody wind cut through like a knife.

Regards,
Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:31 pm

My lathe, tools and other metal stuff used to start showing signs of surface rust, I insulated the ceiling, put old carpets on the floor,fitted a radiator and plumbed it into the house central heating system. I then bought a de-humidifyer and oil filled electric heater which both come on with a time switch, the battery charger is also on the time switch and my Elan is a happy little car :lol:
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:55 pm

ruddy great propane space heater when raising the temp to around 20c to apply paint, just a 2kw fan heater to keep my nose warm when doing other stuff(dont want the resin going off in the pot now do we? :lol:

I've also got a sizeable infra red patio heater jobbie, but that doesnt do much but give me a tan :lol:

Mark

mind you my garage extensions a bit draughty :shock:

tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:00 pm

Mark,

Great picture ............. hope you've got planning permission (vbg).

Regards,
Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:17 pm

The speed at which my local council work, the car will be in need of its next resto by the time they send me "hate mail". Its a temporary structure and as such should be exempt. A couple of my neighbours suggested it!!

Only problem is going to be when the car is finished, I'll need shares in Shell to finance taking the whole street "out for a spin"

Mark :lol:
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Dave-M » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:36 pm

Hope you turn the propane heater off when painting, I once blew the H on top of the chimney of a warm air heater into the garden 3 doors away,because I didn't. Quite an explosion!
Regards
Dave
Dave-M
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:06 am

Dont worry dave, learnt that one a long time ago when spraying a capri with a Super Ser in the garage, The "flash" buggered the car and singed my eye lashes and brows!!!I PMSL looking back, I had a recent scare (last week) i was using a fan heater to help cure some resin/grp repairs and knocked it off the stool, it landed on the intake in a pile of filler dust, the flames hit the garage roof and set fire to my bin, full of acetone soaked Kim Wipes!!!just a big flash and some smouldering tissue to deal with but could have made the local news!! (I'd hate to think of the H&S risk in the average home garage. (Petrol,engine and transmission oils, propane gas torches, parafin, cellulose thinners,2k thinners, Acetone, resin, various tins and aerosols of paint, and even trichlorethylene) its quite scary really!! add in rolls of tissue (workshop size) bags of rags and oily car parts and a fair amount of dry timber!!

its enough to stop the insurance industry from sleeping (let alone the neighbours :twisted: !!!!) :lol:

Mark
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:34 am

:lol: So its not just me then :lol:

I have a large box of shotgun cartridges in the garage as well just to make sure.

Back to the original thread. My garage is part of the house so it has a double skin wall and one of the bedrooms above making it nicely insulated. I use an electric oil filled radiator to keep me warm in the winter when working in there. When I am in in there I switch down to its frost guard setting to keep the damp out.

I also have my own fridge, kettle, radio, girlie calendar and other creature comforts. A real home away from home.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Tonyw » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:00 pm

Guy's and gal's

I left the old country back in 1971, I remember sweeping snow of the roof of cars before driving them into the garage to work on them, dripping ice cold water down the back of my neck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now in Western Australia I have a reverse cyscle air conditioner in the garage, it is insulated so my bits do not get rusty mostly have the AC on in cool mode differnt country, different problem, it was 38 centigrade here today nice and warm a real cold day in winter would be aroung 16 centigrade.

Tony W
Second childhood? no just an extension of my first.
Tonyw
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:36 pm

Steve,

you are one lucky chap, sounds like heaven is next to your house!! My dream pad is a workshop with a flat on a mez floor!!!!

Mark(shufflin about in a draughty single garage with resin fumes for company!!) :(
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Matt » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:42 pm

Mark"(shufflin about in a draughty single garage with resin fumes for company!!) "

At least you can stand up in yours !

At the moment I seem to spend alot of time kneeling down :( under my body shell.

Also my garage is a very draughty precast concrete example and it's not near enough to the house to get any heat.

At least I have the dog for company :)
1967 Elan S3
1970 Elan S4 Sprint
1972 Europa TC
1973 Elan +2 s130/5
1978 Esprit S1
1981 Esprit S2.2
Matt
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:18 pm

hmmm, not sure that crawling around with "dogs breath" for heating appeals Matt!! I'll stick to my space heater (when I get some more gas!)

Nifty body lifting technique :lol:

mark
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:08 pm

over here it gets so G.D., cold I just jam everything in the garage on DEC 1st and burn wood -drink amber liquids and wait till March ----a low yield nuclear furnace wont make the place warm enough . It gets so cold the cat broke when I put him out --- :roll: -ed
Attachments
PC150002.JPG and
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pmallinson » Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:11 am

Stuart

I would personally suggest a propane space heater for the garage for human comfort and keeping your fingers with some circulation. :)

For the car then there really is no better solution than the carcoon which alleviates the requirement to leave the windows open or any other aperture for that matter. They are a bit costly to buy at first but cost pennies to run and if the baby is washed polished and generally titivated prior to putting away then even the discs come out still free from rust ! :o

Cheers for now
Peter Mallinson
[email protected]
pmallinson
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: