what was that poster?!

PostPost by: RobCapper » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:15 pm

A few months ago, someone posted a copy of a poster/ad for a baby elan of some sort. It had some famous actress/model etc of the era sitting on the bonnet (my tender years mean I have no idea who!). It was clearly some kind of 'special', and had slightly flaired arches and the 26R type lights....or at least ones with an 'open' glass shield... anyone know what I'm talking about? Better still anyone know where the posting is?

Thanks! :roll:
RobCapper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:56 am

Diane Webber?
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:10 am

Rob..that was a LOTUS ELITE - Type 14. For your penance, and to further understand the heritage of the Elan, research the Elite and answer these 3 simple questions:

What was (almost) unique about the Elite, and how does it link to the Yorkshire car manufacturers of the time, Rochdale?

What's the link between the Elite and the London Blitz, 1940?

What's unusual about the dashboard?

Mark
Attachments
Diane Webber 1.jpg and
Diane Webber 2.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:11 am

You mean this one?:

Doh! Beat me to it mark!
Attachments
1807nude1fo.jpg and
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RobCapper » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:07 pm

Nope, the poster someone put on here a while ago was definately an elan - I know the difference between an elan and an elite Mark! :wink:

I can't remeber whther it was a FHC or not, but definately had slightly flaired arches and the perspex headlights. The shot of the car was almost stright on from about bonnet level and the woman in question (whoever) was standing to the left.

Any more ideas?! :roll:
RobCapper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:20 pm

Then it may have been this one which I posted a few months ago. You can only view it if you answer the questions though :D
Mark
Attachments
y.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:42 pm

She is hot though :lol: :lol:

How old would she be now? She is probably a gran now?
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RobCapper » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:16 pm

that's the one! :D
did anyone ever figure out what this car is? I'm guessing it's just a series 'something' with flaired arches and some nice touches? Are the perspex light modification a straighforward one to any baby elan - it looks so much better than the pop-ups...
RobCapper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:43 am

It's the S1 (or 2) that belonged to Kermit the Frog. Not a 26R. Can we have the answers to the Elite trivia quiz now?
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: c.d.s. » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:25 am

For Rob, I'll have a go at it.

short answers, Im sure there are many who are far better qualified to answer.

1. both manufacturers used a fiberglass monocoque construction

2. the elite used a motor (coventry climax FWE) which shares its basic design from a fire pump motor used in WWII.

3. the dash of the elite notably the silhouette is shaped akin to the car in
profile. either that or it has the most interesting horn switch I have seen in
any automobile!

regards

cds
c.d.s.
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:47 pm

Text book stuff cds :) You must have the same library, or have been around Lotii for a long time as well. Or both. Here's a few more pics showing the dash, the engine, the beauty, and a very generous owner showing the underside and total lack of chassis.
One day....
Mark
Attachments
1960_lotus_elite_09_m.jpg and
1885g.jpg and
1885f.jpg and
1885e.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Dave-M » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:13 pm

After seeing the "Rochdale" word and the picture of the underside of the red Elite I thought a few off topic words might be appropriate.
First of all, Mark, Rochdale is in Lancashire, it's very important to me as a Yorkshireman that we get this right but as you are from "darn saarf" I can undestand the mistake.
I have two Rochdales undergoing restoration at present, a GT and an Olympic Phase2. The Phase2 I have owned since 1992 and was used regularly until restoration time came along.
I remember seeing the Olympic at the Racing car Show in the 60's and really wanting one but as an apprentice on around ?7 a week and living in digs, the chances were zero. Glad I got one in the end.
It's a true fibreglass monocoque using a suframe made of 1" tube to mount the front suspension and the underside of the shell is very similar to the Elite.
The GT and the Olympic were designed in the main by Richard Parker who was then poached by Colin Chapman to work at Lotus, so the connection between Lotus and Rochdale is a little more than just fibreglass.
If any of you are interested in the Rochdale here is the club website :-
http://www.rochdale-owners-club.co.uk/
Regards
Dave
Dave-M
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:50 pm

Ah, Dave, I have mitigating circumstances. I had in front of me my service record book for an Elan recently purchased from the second owner in Harrogate, and the first service stamp is 'Normand Garage Ltd, Thornton Rd, Bradford'. The car is a Yorkshire lad through and through, registered DWW 10 H, with the first owner living in South Kirkby. The car hasn't lived outside the county since new. So with Yorkshire on my mind...ah well, that's my excuse. But the reason for those details is...does Normand Garage still exist? Did you ever know of it? Bit of a long shot but if you don't ask....
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Dave-M » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:03 pm

Sorry Mark I can't help. I live near Doncaster and I am not familiar with the Bradford area. Maybe a PM to M100 might be in order as he is from the leeds area and Bradford joins on to Leeds, another option might be CJ Foulds as they are long time Lotus dealers in that area and are very helpful.
Sorry that's the best I can do for you
Regards
Dave
Dave-M
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:56 pm

I spoke with Peter Cambridge (designer of the Elite interior) a couple of years ago about the Elite dash shape; he reckons that he did not do it on purpose but that it was probably because they had all been living and breathing that car for a while. You may, of course, read different elsewhere. :roll:

Cheers,
Pete.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: