F1 GP Silverstone

PostPost by: Jens » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:12 pm

My little brother and me are going to the GP at Silverstone.
Eventhough this is a slightly off-topic question, I still would like some good tips on where to stay during the weekend.
Any suggestions for hotels and nice places to eat a bit, have a beer (or a few more - probably) and a laugh?
Preferably a place in the vincinity of Silverstone (was thinking of Milton Keynes maybe) and wih transport to and from the track...

Maybe someone else is going there - might be nice to have a drink one night?

//J
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong - look at what they can do to a Weber carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver..." (CABC)

My one problem is that distance keeps me from my Elan. (36/5395)
Jens
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: chrishewett » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:18 pm

I went once, never again. One of the most expensive and worst organised on the calender.
I am going to Magny cours this year.
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Jens » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:29 pm

Thanks Chris! Great tip!

But - we've already got the tickets for all three days...
What was so badly organized then? Please - hand us a tip or two... :)
Wondering where to stay, where to eat and - just as important, if not more - where to have our pints...
Is Milton Keynes an ok location? And if so, where in MK?

//Jens
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong - look at what they can do to a Weber carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver..." (CABC)

Jens
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: andyhodg » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:39 pm

Jens

I'm going again this year. We always camp at a site very near to the circuit - 10 minutes walk to the pit straight. There is usually a big crowd of us although I am the only Lotus owner in my crowd. I won't be driving it as I will be towing a caravan.

I can't give you much advice as where to stay or drink as we always stay on the campsite. There is a good chinese resturant in Towcester that we go to on the Saturday evening. It gets busy so its essential to book.

I always enjoy the weekend.

Andy
andyhodg
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: chrishewett » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:36 pm

Jens,
Sorry to be so negative but I cannot see why anyone living on the continent would want to come to this country for a GP.
Silverstone is spoilt for me. I remember seeing Hunt win in 1977 (?). Mansell coming round stowe so much faster than anyone else that I almost got up and ran (1989?).
Last time I went was for the 1000km LMES last year and it has been transformed to cater for the corporate customer. Motorsport fans are an afterthought.
Never mind I hope you and your brother enjoy.
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:26 am

aye yi yi Chris, you went once? twice? thrice?
Would you like to lie down on the couch and tell all us elanuts about caterers and corporate customers?
I'm no help with lodging or pubs but does mud have anything to do with this track?
And cows eating cloth airplanes? Was that at Silverstone?
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jens » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:04 am

I guess that big events nowadays are more and more becoming gathering points for corporate bobo's - unfortunately.... But still, the idea of coming to england - and Silverstone in particular - in order to watch the F1 GP is a sheer joy. Never mind the Hot Shots and the caterars, the are just there to please a certain crowd that has none or little passion for the sport.

The only thing I find sad is the fact that I have never had the joy of seeing Stirling Moss battle it out with the other big guys like Prince Behra, Phil Hill, Karl Kling and Jocke Bonnier - no matter what car.

Still, I am looking forward to Silverstone and am still looking for suggestions on where to stay, where to eat and where the best pints are served (preferrably Bitter....)

//J

Jens
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: smo17003 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:59 pm

Jens,

If you don't mind "roughing it" camping at the circuit has always been great fun. There's usually plenty of entertainment in the evening - and usually long into the morning. If camping is not to your liking how about Oxford? Plenty of pubs serving real ale and about an hour away - if you set off really early that is.
I agree with the comments about the corporate "takeover" of Silverstone. I watched last years race - or boring parade :( - from some freebee seats opposite the start line and there must have been dozens of empty seats all around and plenty of people saying that they would never come again. Very sad.
smo17003
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Jens » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:53 pm

What's the location of the camping?
Are the campinggrounds on the premises of the circyuit or are they just outside.
Otherwise, is Milton Keynes an option - or Newport Pagnell maybe?

//J - thankfull for advice

Jens
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: sk178ta » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:02 am

Jens,
I`ve been to Monaco, Barcelona, and Silverstone loads for the GP. Monaco brilliant atmosphere but without grandstand seats (??????????????s) you can`t see. Barcelona had virtually no supporting activities and hopeless catering. Silverstone I just don`t know why people have a down on it. There`s loads of supporting action, great atmosphere, and a pretty reasonable choice of food.
We always camp at the Silversone village sports ground 01327 857098. It`s a bit rough and ready and a 20 minute walk to the circuit but quicker than driving, and at the end you can walk back and just drive away. Top tip but keep it a secret. On Sunday be at the north gate at 7 a.m. with 2 folding chairs and some belongings. Rush to the front of the Woodcote stand and park your chairs on the concrete steps with a few belongings. No-one will move them, you have a brilliant view of the Luffield complex and are opposite a big screen. Have a look on the Saturday to see what I mean.
On Saturday night book a table at The Rice Bowl in Towcester. Usually a driver or two is eating there, popping up in Towcester !!
Jim
sk178ta
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Matt » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:42 am

This place is lovely and 15-20 mins from the track

http://www.windmillinn-badby.com/

If they still have rooms

Matt

It's my local :wink:
1967 Elan S3
1970 Elan S4 Sprint
1972 Europa TC
1973 Elan +2 s130/5
1978 Esprit S1
1981 Esprit S2.2
Matt
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:06 pm

Jens

I saw Stirling Moss at Goodwood (before that fateful day) when I was a lad. My folks would make a day out to take us to the Easter Meeting each year. I can recall wandering around the paddock, bumping into the likes of Brabham and Hill. They used to go and eat sometimes in the yacht club my parents belonged to.

Last time I went to a Silverstone GP was 1975 and I still have a photo I took of James Hunt standing next to his Hesketh chatting to his then girl friend, Suzy ?, who went on to marry Richard Burton. It was better then and I only had to queue for about 35 minutes to get in, by car.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:48 pm

I live 5 miles or so from the circuit in Buckingham. I have lived here for nearly 17 years and never been to the F1 GP! Too expensive, and coverage on TV is better than on the circuit itself. However, I have participated in the 'GP' flavour in the air for the weekend. Milton Keynes is a fine place to work, go to a conference in one of the expensive hotels, and perhaps go shopping, but not really the place you want to stay in during a GP weekend. It's true MK has the Red Bull team locally, plus ties to various racing outfits, but they will all be down at Silverstone for the weekend! Hotels local to Buckingham (Villiers, Four Pillars, The White Hart) are probably already booked up, but may be worth a try. Towcester is another popular local town. Transportto the circuit could be a problem, but the new bypass has made things a lot easier. Many visitors stay in a wide radius to Silverstone - Oxford, Northampton even MK and then take a helicopter ride to the circuit from one of the many temporary airports (did you know that for the GP morning, Silverstone becomes the busiest airport in the world for a couple of hours?).

All that said, I agree that your best way 'in' to the GP experience is camping next to the circuit. Smell the waft of frying bacon drifting over the camping cities outside the circuit! I can smell it 5 miles away - and hear the start! If you are the hardy sort, you could take a flight to Luton Airport (usually cheap flights), take the VT99 express bus to MK Station, take the X5 express bus to Buckingham and hitch/taxi to the circuit with your tent and sleeping bag!

Me? I've booked a crossing to Angouleme on the 13th September!

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jens » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:06 pm

Just spoke to my little brother, and probably we will be staying at the camping. Do you gys think it is adviceable to make a reservation for a spot or is it safe to just drop by?

A for Sir Stirling Moss, one of the most fantastic memories I have is a day on Zandvoort. Me being a reallly small kid, but able to read and just having read Stirling Moss' book on how to become a racing driver and his story of Le Mans '59, I saw him race a Elva mk II (I think...) in the Historic series.
As we were walking throught the paddock I saw him ad walked up to him with my two books in order to get them signed. I guess I was about 8 or nine and he was 62. I know this since the only question I qould ask him at that moment was "Mr Moss, how old are you"... Never been so nervous in my entire life.
But the books are still there - together with other books...

Other persons I'd like to have diner with are Neubauer, Denis Jenkinson, Rudi Carracciola (and Baby - his girlfriend...), Bernt Rosemeyer (not at the same table as Caratsch), Phil Hill, Jo Bonnier, Innes Ireland, Roy Salvadori and Mike Hawthorn..

Damned, those days must have been a lot more fun than these...

//J - too young to be in to old drivers.... :o

Jens
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: