Electrical schematic drawing software?

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:03 pm

I am looking for a cheap / free Windows application that I can use to create a new schematic for my revised electrical system. I started doing it in MS Word but as anyone knows who has tried it, that's an exercise in frustration. I am not looking for a CAD-type system that draws the schematic based on data - just a drawing package that makes it easy to create re-usable templates and hook them up. I would like to create a schematic in the same general style as the original.

Of the commercial offerings, SmartDraw looks like it may be a good match for what I want. I may download the trial version. I'd use Visio if I had it, but I don't and it's expensive.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:59 pm

Andrew, I just use Powerpoint, the std presentation software.
Visio is a little easier as it maintains connections when you move things about, but if you lay it all out first (draw on a piece of A3!) then you really don't need anything too smart.
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:10 pm

Word (at least the version I have) also has connections that stay connected - unlike some of the wires they represent. It's just hard to work with, in the typical Microsoft way, if you want to do something it wasn't really designed for.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ElanSeries2 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:22 am

I also use Powerpoint - which also has connectors that you can "pin" to objects. Trouble is, this doesn't help too much with wiring diagrammes. I wanted one that looked pretty much like the factory diagramme. If you want one to start from, I could send you a template. PM me if you are interested.

Greg
1965 Elan S2
1972 Elan +2S 130
ElanSeries2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:34 pm

Andrew,
I used the drawing tools in MS Excel for the wiring diagram of my Elite. Some frustration but not too bad. Mark's suggestion of Visio is a good one save for the price. Visio runs about 400 to 500 USD. I have electrical engineers at work who use Visio for schematics.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:53 am

I actually made some progress with Word (probably the same drawing package as Excel, but I'll have to check) but it is frustrating trying to get everything just right. I did create little ground symbols and light bulbs so that is a start. I've downloaded a freeware item called CAD126 but haven't tried it yet - perhaps this weekend.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ElanSeries2 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:15 am

There's a good argument to be made for making the drawing in whichever package you are familiar with - I had access to Visio, but chose powerpoint because I know it well.

Drawing up all the little devices is time consuming - but not as time consuming as positioning everything on the page such that it fits and is legible and there are as few wire crosses as possible. I imagine this would be time consuming in any package.
1965 Elan S2
1972 Elan +2S 130
ElanSeries2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: johnc » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:16 pm

I am thinking there has to be a better way than PowerPoint, Word, etc. for schematic capture. Since I haven't done any electronic design in ages I don't have any first hand recommendations. However, based on a quick search of the Internet the following two programs seem promising.

http://www.cadsoftusa.com/freeware.htm

http://www.lis.inpg.fr/realise_au_lis/kicad/

Of the two I would try the CadSoft package first, provide one can live with the single sheet limitation.
johnc
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: msd1107 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:15 am

Visio is 3 digits in the professional version.

Look on Ebay for Visio 2007 Standard - $75 or so depending on which vendor is the most hungry.

On ebay.co.uk it is around 70 GBP.

You pays your money and you takes your choices.

The second freeware package mentioned by johnc seems to be interesting for those with an electronics background.

David
1968 36/7988
msd1107
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:23 pm

Have you tried the free demo download of SmartDraw 2008.

Heaps of automotive symbols in the library, plus a starter for 10 automotive electrical circuit.

Properly featured with layers and multiple page functionality

Price seems modest for the capabilities.

Regards

Gerry
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:24 pm

Have you tried the free demo download of SmartDraw 2008.

Heaps of automotive symbols in the library, plus a starter for 10 automotive electrical circuit.

Properly featured with layers and multiple page functionality

Price seems modest for the capabilities.

Regards

Gerry
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Alex » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:39 am

Hi all,

I work in F1 Electronics and we use PADS for all our loom drawings. The down side is that its very expensive and not as intuitive as a Windows/Microsoft based package.

Visio on the other hand is probably the best value package on the market. Stick with the 2003 version and get it cheap. Libraries are available for most things or can be created. At first, it looks a very straight forward package, but the more you use it, you discover how many hidden features it has.

Alex
Alex
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: