"Club Elan" or LotusElan.net Meet, UK

PostPost by: steveww » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:22 am

17/08/08 Shelsley Walsh round of the Paul Matty hillclimb.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:37 pm

I have let this one marinate a bit and tried to reach some conclusions about what people would like.

Firstly, as is always the case when trying to please most of the people most of the time, we aint' going to.

Secondly, a meet under the LotusElan.net banner appears appropriate. If we do this, I must assume Jeff that you will be happy to have a 'UK chapter' meeting?

Thirdly, a 'park & polish' event is not going to do it for most of us. A meet where there is something for people to do or to see points to a motor racing occasion of some description or a relevant other automotive event and location.

Fourthly, timing and location will always prove tricky. Ideally we want to meet outside normal holiday periods and in central UK.

So I now come to a suggestion that hits some of these points, but not all! The Lotus 60th celebration at Hethel on Sunday 14th September. A trip home to their birthplace will make our cars behave, for a start. Most of us should have had our summer holiday. There will be a lot of Lotus themed interest. It should also be easy to arrange the logistics. I have some contacts at the factory and I could, I hope, twist their arm to give us a dedicated parking area. I could set up a gazebo as a meeting and message point as well.

Your thoughts please, gentlemen!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:19 pm

Hi Tim

There seems to be a lot of talk about the Lotus 60th celebration at Hethel on Elan Central, this is the first I have heard about it. :(

Anymore info anyone?

It looks like a good date to aim for the MOT :)

Jason
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:25 am

I got the information from Pistonheads, who said:

'A date for your diary ? Lotus is inviting everyone to come to its Hethel HQ on September 14 to celebrate its 60th anniversary.

A number of high profile events will be taking place this year to celebrate but the most important has to be this 60th birthday bash, which will be opened by Hazel and Clive Chapman.

15,000 Lotus fans are expected to be turning up are there will be a number of activities throughout the day, although more details will be available nearer the date.

Not only will the event be looking back at the heritage of the marquee but also will preview what we can expect from Lotus in the future.

It was in 1948 that Colin Chapman built his first racecar and his theory of 'performance through lightweight' formed the foundation of one of the most successful racing teams todate.

Group Lotus Plc CEO Mike Kimberley said: ?This is a great opportunity to celebrate the past and look forward to both a very special year for Lotus and a fantastic future.

?It?s important to us to celebrate the spirit of Lotus and we invite everyone to our headquarters to meet our people, our staff and our fans, and see us moving forwards.

?In 2008 an all new car will be unveiled at the London Motorshow and an impressive global expansion programme is planned for our high tech Lotus Engineering Consultancy, so there?s an exciting energy at Lotus that we want to share with our wider communities.?

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:32 am

Just thought I'd post to say that I'm in favour of the idea of a lotuselan.net specific meet. Also the idea of a register as part of the forum. I visit the forum every day because I get interaction with fellow enthusiasts. Once my car is on the road I'll be supportive of any meets that I can get to.

On the idea of meets, Jerry Thurston will have his +2 at Beaulieu on 17th May. I'll be there. Is anyone else planning to go?

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:25 am

The 60th sounds like a good event to meet at. Just hope that Lotus can sort out the parking this time. The last event I attended at Lotus I spent 2 hours in a traffic jam trying to get in to the car park. They had totally under estimated how many people would turn up.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Matt » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:04 pm

I go to all the lotus events: Silverstone, Donnington Stoneleigh Castle Coombe and events at the factory in my Elan. I would like another meeting in the summer as well, and would also be willing to help organise it.

Matt
1967 Elan S3
1970 Elan S4 Sprint
1972 Europa TC
1973 Elan +2 s130/5
1978 Esprit S1
1981 Esprit S2.2
Matt
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:35 pm

Will your neighbours mind if we park on their drives Matt?

Put the kettle on, do we need to bring our own mugs? :lol:

Seriously, does anyone have a large piece land for a summer meet and BBQ?
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:46 pm

Club Lotus are doing a 2 for the price of 1 for the Silverstone Classic. They will also have Club Lotus paddock parking as well.

Lotus is the featured marque at this year's event.

Jut booked my weekend pass, not sure which day I am going yet.

BTW: I may be able to get a hospitality box above the pits for Lotus Elan dot Net use.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: