Odd experiences

PostPost by: Barney » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:42 pm

I've just recently brought my car back on the road after a long (too long) spell stored in garages.

Mechanical issues aside does anyone else have any anecdotes (humourous) about things they may have forgotten about or some other tale.

My own experience has been the growth (spreading) of my feet! When I went to drive my car for the first time my feet (size 13H UK & 14EEEE US) kept on fouling the pedals. A search through my wardrobe found some long forgotten shoes with narrower soles - this of course saved many hours with a grinder! :lol:

Will be interesting to here some other experiences.

Cheers
Barney
Elan S2 DHC (26-4399),
Barney
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:25 pm

Barney

When I refurbished my pedalbox I made sure the arms were given a little more "setting" to match the width of my feet..

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: hatman » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:50 am

I remember reading, some years ago, an account of Stirling Moss's winning drive in the Mille Miglia and the journalist said that he seemed to be self-conscious about his feet, which he tended to keep out of sight - it transpired that the great man wore something akin to ballet pumps for the delicacy of feel and control that they gave. Might be just the job for Elans too! :D
hatman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:32 pm

You can often spot a Lotus owner. They are usually the ones wearing a pair of racing drivers shoes. (Myself included).

Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:23 am

cliveyboy wrote:You can often spot a Lotus owner. They are usually the ones wearing a pair of racing drivers shoes. (Myself included).

I bought a pair of auto sport shoes (for my size 13 feet) more than a year ago, against the day I would get my car back on the road.

Today was that day. The shoes were excellent, and the six-mile drive to get a new inspection sticker was better. Nothing odd happened (except the so-called inspection, which consisted of two guys looking at the engine and asking me questions and inspecting exactly nothing). I did forget that you have to really step on the brakes to get the thing to stop, especially with new pads in the rear and swapped-around old pads in the front.

Lots left to do, but I'm legally on the road again.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: