Car related things to do in Los Angeles, USA?

PostPost by: GreekS1 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:01 am

Hi,
Im going on a 3 week holiday on dec 16th to LA, Las Vegas and San Francisco.

I was wondering if there are any Lotus related events and/or any classic car related places in California that i should visit.

I already have:
Route 101
Laurel canyon
Shelby cars in Vegas

pls add!

Thank you
GreekS1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: msd1107 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:33 am

There is the Peterson museum on Wilshire in LA.

Laurel Canyon is not that exciting for driving. For shopping, try Beverly Blvd, Rodeo Blvd in Beverly Hills, Farmers Market and others. I am not a shopping expert.

One of the original Lotus importers, Jay Chamberlain, had his shop just north of me, but it is gone. The Pasadena area Lotus Dealer who serviced JPL and other aerospace people is gone. Bob Challman's Ecuriee Shirlee in Manhattan Beach is a real estate office.

For driving, go to Griffith Park and take Mulholland west. It goes all the way to the Pacific, but there is one section that is gravel and may be closed. If so, you will have to come back to the 405, go north to the 101, west to Reseda or Topanga, and south again to Mulholland. On Mulholland west of Topanga, Take Stunt road and play around on the windey roads (as if Mulholland is not enough). This whole area is famous for West Coast drivers learning to drive fast back in the 50s and 60s, and I have many memories of that area.

Well, If you are driving north on 101, take the Cachuma bypass after Santa Barbara. It meets back up with 101, it is scenic, and 20 miles shorter than 101. And at that point there are lots of opportunities for winery side trips.

Then more wineries at Paso Robles. At Paso Robles, take Route 1 along the coast, the road winds and is scenic. Hearst Castle is along the way. There is an old California Mission around Paso Robles, and another one at Carmel.

Continue north of Carmel to 17. Before 17, there are more wineries (as well as several in the Monterey and Salinas area) There are more wineries off of 17, or you could take the slower 9 where there are some more wineries. Both ways get you to San Jose.

Two routes north from San Jose to SF. 101 takes you past all the famous computer, chip, and aerospace places, including an airplane museum north of Belmont, just off the freeway.

I don't know if any of the local clubs are doing anything that time of year, but ask.

I live in the LA area, and will be south of SF from the 23rd to the 27th. Feel free to call me on 818 635 0491.

Morton Segal (mopho) lives in the area, and is probably a better authority. Sarto lives north of SF. You could try to visit Mike Ostrov, just outside of Berkely, who has numerous Type 14s including one with a T9 conversion and a couple with TC conversions.

Have fun.

David
1968 36/7988
msd1107
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:32 am

If I was there I'd visit Mike Ostrov, he has an Elan or two also & some Sevens.
He may well let you have a drive.
The "Spruce Goose" is also an interesting bit of engineering to admire.
Watching the extroverts on Venice Beach can be entertaining; not very Lotus but being a lotus owner proves that you have a good sense of humour.
Hope you have a great time.
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:08 pm

GreekS1,
Mike Ostrov is a must and I'll bring my Lotus Elan. I am always looking for an excuse to drive and visit Mike.
Sarto
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GreekS1 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:04 pm

Hi!
Thanks for all the answers+suggestions!!!
I have done quite a bit of driving and Im staying for another week!
The place is amazing!!! Ive done the PCH form Laguna beach to Ventura and seen some fantastic cars and scenery!!! Will go to the peterson museum and rent a mini cooper s for the day to do the angeles crest highway (2),drive around topanga and also I will visit WIllow springs raceway.
Dont know if I can make it to mike ostrov... How long a drive is it from Santa Monica??
GreekS1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: msd1107 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:41 am

The quickest way is up Interstate 5 which is about 6 hrs to get close to Mike's place.

Otherwise, it depends on how much sight seeing you want to do on the way up.

I forgot to mention, but if you want to see the largest trees in the world, stop off and see the redwoods. There are several places that have collections of trees. Unfortunately, the tallest redwoods were logged in the 19th C (over 400 ft tall!), but the ones that are left are quite imposing. I have a picture of my Elan driving through one (it fits quite handily).

David
1968 36/7988
msd1107
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mopho » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:16 am

Sorry I did not see this earlier, sort of lost interest in my Elan, so have not been coming here as much

Unless you are doing a track day, it is not worth driving up to Willow Springs

Angeles Crest is a great drive, but beware the conditions may not be great, I was up the other side of the mountain last week and there was two feet of snow with lots of rocks and debris in the road.

If you are here for New Years Day, there will be lots of car clubs driving around in the Malibu mountains, be sure to drive by the Rock Store and stop at the lookout point a few miles west of it on Mulholland
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=rock+store,+cornell,+CA&sll=34.115784,-118.743668&sspn=0.175091,0.363922&ie=UTF8&ll=34.116921,-118.795166&spn=0.175089,0.363922&z=12&iwloc=A

You'll want to start pretty early as most of the drives are in the morning.
I will be out there on a Lotus group drive, but it is newer cars.
There is also a lot of great roads to drive around this area

If you are here on Saturday, you should drive down to the world famous "Cars and Coffee" meet in Irvine CA, it starts at 7am and is over by 9am, so you have to leave very early (it's about an hour drive from Santa Monica)
It is an impromptu car meet that happens every Saturday morning, hundreds of cars usually show up, some extremely rare and unusual http://irvine.carsandcoffee.info/
Since it is getting into winter now and it is cold in the morning, the turnout may be a bit on the low side, but it still may be worth going.
http://irvine.carsandcoffee.info/

I may be able to take you down there if you like (can't commit to it just yet)

Also, I live pretty close to Santa Monica, you're welcome to come by to see the Elan if you're interested

Here is a quick reference map to the fun Malibu Mountain roads

67 Elan S3
04 Caterham 7 Superlight R
www.morgansegal.com
mopho
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GreekS1 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:09 am

Thank for the replies and suggestions guys!!!
I probably wont make it to SF... Next time though

mopho, Ill be definately try to be at the Rock Store on New Years day.
Ill be here till next tuesday so I will also go to cars and cofee...
Id love to come to see your elan if you have the chance..

Thanks again guys

Vassilis
GreekS1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mopho » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:13 am

I just PM'd you my contact info
67 Elan S3
www.morgansegal.com
mopho
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mopho » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:59 am

Nice to meet you today Visillis, good timing!

Even more cars showed up after you left, including an incredible Lotus Elite

Here is some snaps

67 Elan S3
www.morgansegal.com
mopho
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GreekS1 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:41 pm

Yes, I saw them driving up on my way down!

Thanks for the tip, it was a great drive and a great atmopsphere of classic / modern cars!
I was wondering, does all this happen on Sundays too?
GreekS1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:10 pm

So Morgan, where was your famous photos of your elan with all of the improvements?

Sarto
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mopho » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:26 pm

mac5777 wrote:So Morgan, where was your famous photos of your elan with all of the improvements?

Sarto

Here it is 8)

67 Elan S3
www.morgansegal.com
mopho
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mopho » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:31 pm

GreekS1 wrote:Yes, I saw them driving up on my way down!

Thanks for the tip, it was a great drive and a great atmopsphere of classic / modern cars!
I was wondering, does all this happen on Sundays too?

It was particularly busy because it is a New Years day tradition to get all the car clubs together here, but every Sunday people are out in their cars and bikes having fun in the canyons and hanging out at the lookout points
67 Elan S3
www.morgansegal.com
mopho
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: