Small Favor

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:33 am

I apologize for this having no Lotus content, but I came across a problem I thought someone from Australia (or England) could answer.

My daughter is going to Gold Coast to study at Bond University this coming semester. She needs to purchase a converter that will enable her to plug her MacBook into a wall outlet.

Should she be looking for a unit that converts 220/240v to 110/120v? Should the converter have two round pins in order to plug it into the wall? Is the Australian system the same as the British system?

Thank you in advance.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: msd1107 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:00 am

A universal converter will convert any voltage from 90-240 v and 50-60 hz to the voltage required by the computer. These have been typically provided with portables for the last 20 years.

I think that Macs are advanced enough to have this covered.

The US style plugs that probably came with your converter need to have an adapter to be able to use the styles of plugs in other nations. You should be able to get an adapter plug kit at an electronics store like Frys, if you do not already have one, or your computer may have something suitable.

David
36/7988
msd1107
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: robertverhey » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:38 am

Ummm, Why to 110 Volts? Australian mains power is 240 volts, 50 Hz. All she will need is a UK to Australia Converter. Widely available including at the airport

Regards

Robert
robertverhey
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:35 pm

robertverhey wrote:Ummm, Why to 110 Volts?...All she will need is a UK to Australia Converter.

Because we purchased the computer in the US, not the UK. US standard is 110/120v.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:25 pm

Frank Howard wrote:Because we purchased the computer in the US, not the UK. US standard is 110/120v.

Apple's AC power supplies are rated for input voltage from 100 to 240 VAC, 50/60 Hz. As David says, this is a common feature for nearly all laptop manufacturers. All your daughter will need is an adapter for the correct pin/socket configuration. This is covered in Apple's user documentation and the nameplate information on the AC power supply itself.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: c.d.s. » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:59 pm

Frank,

The magsafe and older powerbook power supplies are gonna work fine in
the antipodes. I am out there at times and have no problems.

Australian/New Zealand power plugs are not the same as UK or European 2 pin plugs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_A ... 2F3-pin.29

Apple do make the 'word travel adapter kit', http://store.apple.com/us/product/M8794 ... MTIxODk3Mw

It contains the Australian/New Zealand plug end, but it plugs into the transformer itself, so your limited in length from the transformer to the mag safe end.

I use one of these, its simple enough, and im sure could be had for a better price. The lack of bulk compared to some universal adapters is welcome.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2104182

Good to buy it here, as you'll find plenty of aus/nz to US adapters there, but the reverse aren't too common, get a couple, they seem to go missing quite often!

Practically every power supply will be marked to tell you if it works in the
up to 240V 50hz range (the apple does) but in my experience many smaller electronic devices don't (cell phones, wifi devices) and 'poof' the smoke escapes!

regards

cds
c.d.s.
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:39 am

I think most of the main points have been covered but the mention of the Antipodes raises one unanswered question of
"Does the juice go through the plug clockwise or anticlockwise"?

Taxi please!
Sorry it's the time of year :oops:
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:08 pm

Frank Howard wrote:My daughter is going to Gold Coast to study at Bond University this coming semester.

Hmmm. Australia's Gold Coast; study; this coming semester (summer in Australia).

Which of these three things doesn't fit with the other two?

My stepson was a lecturer for a while at UNSW in Sydney. His American exchange students were quite annoyed at anything that took them off the beach, like, going to classes.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:36 pm

RotoFlexible wrote:His American exchange students were quite annoyed at anything that took them off the beach, like, going to classes.

Tell me about it.

Last night she received information from the program director informing her of the specifications for the maximum sized surf board she could bring on the plane.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:39 pm

Many thanks to you all for the expert advice you provided. You were correct that many devices including her computer and the battery charger for her camera battery will accept between 110 and 220 volts. Her cell will be useless in Australia, so she'll pick up another one. All we needed to purchase was an adaptor, not a converter.

As I write this, she is on her way, high over the Pacific, probably asleep. Before she left, I showed her all the posts that were made on her behalf. She was grateful however she wasn't too excited about my previous post nor the one before it. Not sure why. Must be a generational thing. Again, thanks to all of you for your help.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: