PostPost by: Coupe » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:13 am

Copied in from another Lotus forum:

http://www.lautista.com.au/01/?p=469

Ben
Coupe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:14 am

It?s interesting that it mentions that the Elan was shipped to Australia from the factory ?unpainted?. I wonder if the car was shipped in a partially knocked-down state, and built up once painted?any Australians on the forum know about this?

There are many tales of course of Elans being re-painted here in the UK when new, if a customer wanted a yellow one but the dealer only had a burnt sand one in stock! I guess that by the time the edges started to peel revealing the original colour, the car would be on its second owner, who would now be blaming the first for having a cheap re-paint done.

Interesting article as well.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:10 pm

So it was painted red over white in 1968 and the Sprint was launched in October 1970. :?
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:17 pm

Here's a '67 Type 47 in its original livery, Pete. Maybe Graham Arnold got the idea from somewhere else as well?? :shock:

Mark
Attachments
bda403ac32.jpg and
31b1918008.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:28 pm

Elanintheforest wrote:It?s interesting that it mentions that the Elan was shipped to Australia from the factory ?unpainted?. I wonder if the car was shipped in a partially knocked-down state, and built up once painted?any Australians on the forum know about this?

There are many tales of course of Elans being re-painted here in the UK when new, if a customer wanted a yellow one but the dealer only had a burnt sand one in stock! I guess that by the time the edges started to peel revealing the original colour, the car would be on its second owner, who would now be blaming the first for having a cheap re-paint done.

Interesting article as well.

Mark

There's a paint shop here where the ageing owner claims to have painted new Lotus cars for the dealer.
I believe this was however due to the poor paint quality of the delivered cars
(He's got a Europa in his garage which belonged to his long gone Brother. Won't sell)

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: robcall » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:24 pm

F1 allowed sponsorship in 1968.
Chapman was the first to take advantage of this and painted the cars in gold leaf livery-don't know if it was used in other classes prior to '68 tho.
Nigel Robertson
robcall
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:16 pm

And the Type 47 is for sale !...

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/cla ... arno/43752

Hmmmmmm . Don't think I'd fit....
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:04 pm

on the 47's

debuted on boxingday painted white, with lotus components on the side. in 68 GLTL ran two,and only two painted in team lotus colors. others were painted whatever color you wanted.
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:41 pm

[quote="Elanintheforest"]And the Type 47 is for sale !...

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/cla ... arno/43752

Hmmmmmm . Don't think I'd fit....
Mark[/quote Mark unless your over 6 foot 2 and 250 pounds you will fit ---I'm 5 foot 11 220 pounds and though getting in mine is a chore but once your in its comfy as a old shoe ---ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: