More questions than answers

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:24 pm

Tony and I seem to be having a discussion on my lack of manors. Yep Rude SOB that I am, Now that that?s straightened out, why are you here? I think we are all here to learn about the cars, I could be wrong. Some of the posts that I see are not Elan/Plus2 related and I guess that?s ok too, I don't read all the stuff that gets posted. So many of them will not get my caustic and rude remarks. Lots of times I see posts from folks that just seem to think that post anything anywhere is a great way to get your point across and seen and I go and look with my speedy dial modem (28kbytes/sec) and just wonder WTF. Anyway I have some photos of the headlamp vacuum system uploaded for 2 days and have been busy replying to folks about my lack of manors. I took 168 pictures yesterday at Lime Rock some are junk but all need to be looked at edited, resized, organized, uploaded, formatted, titled, and put into a topic for for the reward of a couple of comments by several people. One of them may be "looks like the temp gauge is high". So I wonder why the hell I even am thinking of wasting the couple of hours. So back to the topic title, what is it that brings you to Elan.net? There have been several of us that have been here since Jeff started the Yahoo groups version and some are gone others have died and some still come here and answer the same questions posed by folks 10 years ago. No one that posts here needs to do any of the things I ask, there point of view is just a valid as mine, but I do have one too and I will share it whether you want to hear it or not. I don't hide whom I am, where I am from, all are welcome to stop by and say hello and chat. Several have and I think we have enjoyed the time meeting each other and talking. I have email enabled, PrivateMail is full and I don't like to delete stuff so 50 messages is but a drop of spit. When I get an email several years after receiving one, most times I need to search back to remember what it was (or even Who) that I conversed with/about. Anyway the main reason I am still around is I want to see as many cars out there as possible, that may make my Elan's worth more someday. When you don't see them you forget what a great car they were, when you see one and own one, it gives you a memory of the past and for most that?s a good memory. It may even be good enough for you to get out in the garage and work on that neglected Elan so that you can remember all the fun that you use to have, kind of like a good disease that is spread by vision. Maybe its lust, I don?t know. I do know I was lusting yesterday at Lime Rock, I was glad to see folks that bring their cars out for others to enjoy. I thanked some people just for bringing them and helping me bring back memories that I had forgot. Bob Girvin brings his Hemi powered Allard every year it seems, I stoped by and told him its one of my favorites. Just one purposeful, powerful toy that people should enjoy. More of my trash photos later...

Gary and Beauregard

Last edited by garyeanderson on Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:21 pm

Keep tuned , let's show your pictures , and say hello to Beau ... :wink:
Christian. :mrgreen:
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:50 pm

Great pics Gary!

I love the old Allards! When I was in HS, while my compatriots were lusting after 57 Chevys, Vettes, T-Birds and such, I wanted a J2X. :D Ended up buying a Morgan Plus 4 instead, but that was the pocketbook talking, and not the heart.

Sorry to distract from your pics, but I was having a flashback.
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:21 pm

Jim,

Are you going to attend the vintage races at Coronado at the end of the month.

Will be there with a Dolphin Fjr, starting on Thursday afternoon.

Rob
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:12 pm

prezoom wrote:Jim,

Are you going to attend the vintage races at Coronado at the end of the month.

Will be there with a Dolphin Fjr, starting on Thursday afternoon.

Rob

Thanks Rob. I'm going to try, but real life often intrudes. One way or another, I'll be in touch!
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:27 am

I'll give an example of gracious manners, I got to Lime Rock yesterday a bit after Gary and Beau. The first person I met was Clark Lance seen here trying to find out why the freshly rebuilt gearbox in his Elan was pumping oil out. A few weeks ago he was racing at the Pittsburgh vintage weekend and had trouble selecting 2nd which you use about ten times per lap on that street circuit. He rebuilt the box and in his first session found out that 2nd is now fine which you use once per lap at Lime Rock. But it was puking oil and gearboxes want oil everywhere at all circuits. I would have been understanding if Clark was a bit surly but he was very happy to say hello and recount all that had gone on in the past year. The joys of amateur racing!
DSC_0004.jpg and

Oh yes, and the reason we were all there, Dave Belden and his Mk IX. Gary's head, in the shadows, is just to the left of the Mk IX's roll cage.
Attachments
DSC_0029.jpg and
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:09 pm

thanks again.

Gary
Last edited by garyeanderson on Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:20 pm

I have seen the Clark Lance Elan run numerous times at the Pittsburgh Vintage, including this year, but never got the chance to speak with him. Nice car, always seems to go well.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:28 pm

Thanks for the photos, Gary.

The #99 green Elan belongs to Bob Leitzinger, from here in the Pittsburgh area.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:08 pm

Hi Mike

I wish that Bob's Elan was a bit more undressed when I went by to take pictures, He had an interesting roll cage but there was no foot protection. I did take some photos of it (half a dozen or so) but they were culled as were many others that I didn't figure were of interest to the folks here. As it was there are many near duplicates (Lola mk1) as there was a guy taking photos also when I was and he seemed to be everywhere I wanted to get pictures of. Most of them I was able to edit him out but He's is still the star of the Lola mk1 photos.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:49 pm

garyeanderson wrote:I wish that Bob's Elan was a bit more undressed when I went by to take pictures,

I got a few relatively undressed photos of #99. It stays pretty well covered at all times.
Attachments
DSC_0018.jpg and
DSC_0019.jpg and
DSC_0020.jpg and
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: