Delamare Road yesterday and nearly fifty years ago

PostPost by: MaureenNieuwoudt » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:14 pm

Greg - what do you mean published in the ReMarque ?
MaureenNieuwoudt
New-tral

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:52 am

Maureen, the Remarque is the publication of Lotus Ltd, a US base Lotus club. It's the July-August, 2013 issue. The article is titled "Meet the Lotus Staff of 1966", by Maureen Nieuwoudt. It has a picture of the staff and everyone is identified, you included. I believe you posted this picture here on this forum somewhere along with , maybe, the article, but it was nice to see it again in a national newletter.

Still looking forward to your book :-)

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MaureenNieuwoudt » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:11 pm

Hi Greg - is it something posted on the web, or is a hard copy ? I'd like to see it.

On 30 August our house was robbed - I was at the gym at the time and my husband was working in the garden - it's a very big garden, and it was a very windy day, and he didn't hear anything. Some guys forced open our electric gate and entered the house via the kitchen door which was not locked (because we were not expecting anyone to get through the gate !) - we live in South Africa BTW, so we should have known better. Anyway, on their way through the kitchen they took a very large knife from the knife block, so it was fortunate that my husband did not hear them and I did not get back from the gym until after they had gone, because I have no doubt they would have killed us. Anyway the point of telling you this is that apart from our TV, my husband's 2 computers, his camera and all my jewellery (I had a lot !) they also took my computer. And what was on my computer - the book of course, as far as I had got with it. I just don't have the heart at the moment to start again - it was going so well, and now it is all lost. We now have a device locked in the safe with which we back up the computers once a week - but it is a little like bolting the stable door once the horse has bolted. I probably will get back to it, but right now we are busy moving house, and my 2 year medical tests are all in progress (I'm in remission from you know what) and I just want to get those things sorted out. So the book is delayed. I think of all the things I lost that day the book hurt me the most.
MaureenNieuwoudt
New-tral

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:15 pm

Maureen

That is very sad. I am sorry for you and your husband. I quite understand about the book. It is not easy being creative in the first place . To have to sit down and start over again is even harder.

I know all of us on here would love to know more about your time at Lotus - but only when you're good and ready.

Please keep in touch with us all.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:22 pm

Oh my, Maureen!! That's terrible! I feel very sad for you and your family. As Tim said, please take your time and recover first.

Your article appeared in the July-August, 2013 issue of the Remarque. Please contact Cora Gregorie at
[email protected] I'm a little surprised it was published without your permission. Hopefully Cora can send you a copy.
Best wishes...

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:37 pm

The present never seems to match up to the past.

After your insights into the real goings-on at Lotus, Maureen, we are all relieved that you did not suffer the ultimate fate though it must have been traumatic enough as it is. Best wishes to you both for the future.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MaureenNieuwoudt » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:42 pm

Hi Everyone - thanks so much for your support. It has really motivated me. The book will definitely be my project come the new year when we have moved house (to a security complex - one cannot live in a stand alone house any more, even with pallisade fencing and razor wire) and things have settled down. I will contact lotuscora to see if I can get a copy of that article. Thanks for that heads up on that Greg.

Please everyone, stay in touch. M
MaureenNieuwoudt
New-tral

PostPost by: Maureen B-N » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:40 pm

Does anyone still come to this site ?
Maureen B-N
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:50 pm

We're all still here, Maureen. Any progress on your book?

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:52 pm

Oh yes Maureen!

Very nice to hear from you. I guess we were all giving you some space. I do hope that you are well.

Have you managed to put pen to paper for the book again?

Best wishes to you.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:50 pm

Salut Maureen

Must have missed your near escape - that's really scary stuff. I hope you feel safer, now.

All the best

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:04 am

Love reading this thread...Keep at it Mo!!
James
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Maureen B-N » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:40 pm

Hey - Hi - thought everyone had forgotten me !! We moved house - have gone into a 'complex' 9 little houses and a swimming pool, with good security, surrounded by high pallisades and an electric fence ! This is how we live in the rainbow nation - sad. But we are happy with the new place, and much safer

My son's wife produced twins on 15 December, Luke and Caitlyn, so I am now a granny - never thought I would get there !

But enough of that, to answer the question 'no I never did get back to that book'. Pathetic I know.

Anyone remember seeing the Rolo Toffee advert on tv - the one with the red Europa flying around the track ? The inside part was filmed in Ron Hickman's office (very grand office I should say) - Ron didn't come to work that day, can't say that I blame him, it was chaos. You guys are probably all too young to remember it :)

I'm coming over this year to England and the Cheshunt factory.
Maureen B-N
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:44 am

Maureen B-N wrote:Anyone remember seeing the Rolo Toffee advert on tv - the one with the red Europa flying around the track ? The inside part was filmed in Ron Hickman's office (very grand office I should say) - Ron didn't come to work that day, can't say that I blame him, it was chaos. You guys are probably all too young to remember it :)

I'm coming over this year to England and the Cheshunt factory.

I loved Rolo Toffees, had forgotten them, but I couldn't afford a TV in those days!

Sorry to read about the "lost tapes" but enjoy your trip to Cheshunt.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Coupe » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:39 am

I've booked my 'Cheshunt built' Elan in to attend the following:

An invitation to celebrate at Cheshunt

2015 is an important anniversary year for Team Lotus. 50 years ago Team Lotus and Jim Clark won an historic victory at the Indianapolis 500 on May 31st 1965. Not only that , Team Lotus also not just won, but totally dominated, the 1965 F1 World Championship with Jim Clark becoming F1 World Champion for the 2nd time.

All that, and many more racing victories, were achieved from the Lotus factory at Delamare Road Cheshunt. Currently there is no recognition at the Lotus Cheshunt factory site of all that Team Lotus achieved there - or even of it being the home of three of Lotus's best road cars, the Elite, Elan and Lotus Cortina.

So, as Lotus enthusiasts, Malcolm Ricketts of the Historic Lotus Register plus David Morgan and Tony Scales of the 750 Club are arranging to place a plaque celebrating the 1965 Indy 500 win on the factory wall at Delamare Rd. on Sunday May 31st.

As you may know the Team Lotus/Components building is now the Monster Gym. However the owner of the Gym is very much aware of Lotus history and is delighted to accommodate the plaque. He has agreed to clear all the parking space in front of the building for the dedication ceremony.

Clive Chapman has very kindly approved the plaque on behalf of his family and Classic Team Lotus and he has agreed to unveil the plaque accompanied by members of the 1965 Indy 500 race team.

Not only is May 31st the exact day of Jim Clark's victory but being a Sunday here will be little traffic and no parking restrictions in Delamare Rd.

As many as 20 ex Team lotus and Cheshunt factory staff are coming for the event and we will have an Indy Lotus 38 on display to remind everybody of what Lotus achieved at Cheshunt.

We would love to have as many Lotus enthusiasts as possible to come along for the ceremony at 2:30 pm at Delamare Rd. We would also like to have examples of the Lotuses built at Cheshunt so as to recognize the achievements of the road car factory staff as well. So if you have an Elite, Elan, Lotus Cortina, Seven or another road Lotus built at Cheshunt please bring it along.

Drinks and snacks will be available in the Monster Gym cafe.

So we would be very pleased to hear from any Lotus enthustiasts who would like to come along on May 31st. Please email - [email protected]" target="_blank or
01442 254 783 if you are interested, or need more information.

Malcolm Ricketts, David Morgan and Tony Scales
Coupe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: