Delamare Road yesterday and nearly fifty years ago

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:47 am

Hi Maureen . Nice to have a fresh face on board please stay on and help keep these reprobates in line -you dont have to own an Elan --ed
Attachments
Copy_of_P1010049.jpg and
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:36 am

Maureen M wrote: Perhaps I should seriously consider the book idea. I also know of someone who could assist with publishing, someone in England.

Maureen,

Saynamore! I believe there would be serious interest in it...

(If you need a working title, how about "Lotus - M?moires of a Ron Hickman Workmate" :roll: :) )

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:19 pm

ardee_selby wrote:(If you need a working title, how about "Lotus - M?moires of a Ron Hickman Workmate" :roll: :) )
Cheers - Richard

Nice one Richard :) nudge nudge wink wink
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:42 pm

may be ---ADDING LIGHTNESS----

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotocone » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:55 pm

Maureen M wrote: What I have in my head are my personal memories of that time - many of them amusing. Lotus was a wonderful company to work for then - the average age of the staff was something like 32, so we were all young and excited to find ourselves in this amazing environment. .... Would anyone really be interested in reading these things ?

Yes, I hope you will write about your memories of Lotus. It would be an interesting perspective and amusing as you said. I'd like at least one copy.
Bob
1969 S4
lotocone
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:18 am

Hello Maureen,
Thank you for posting your photographs and memories on this site. They are a very valuable addition to our knowledge of the Lotus history and I echo all the positive comments about writing your remembrances of your time at Lotus.

In my humble opinion, what happened at Lotus in the early years was so extraordinary that it was like lightning in a bottle. That a small number of creative, productive people led by Chapman and Hickman among others could produce innovative, world class, road cars at the pace they did and at the same time compete very successfully at the highest levels of motorsport boggles the mind. And the fact that you were there to witness it makes your remembrances and stories priceless. Please share them with us.

Put me down for a copy of the book with any title, though I do like the Workmate idea, Richard. :D
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:30 pm

why not try a few paragraphs on the site to get warmed up ????

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Maureen B-N » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:27 pm

Hi Guys - the last time I looked at this site there was nothing new. Now I am a little overwhelmed at the number of people who have written about the possible book :shock: Everyone seems to want it. I smiled at the 'Ron Hickman Workmate' title - clever that, in fact very darn clever. Well here is an update - I am mapping out the chapter headings. This won't be a long book by any means, but hopefully I can rely on giving all of you a copy - I certainly won't be doing it for profit. Just give me a little time to get my head 100% around this ....
Maureen B-N
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Maureen B-N » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:30 pm

By the way - I see I am only in 1st gear ? How does one move up the box ? :(
Maureen B-N
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:55 pm

Maureen M wrote:By the way - I see I am only in 1st gear ? How does one move up the box ? :(

This thread has an explanation:

elan-f15/fifth-gear-t13576.html

But don't fret Maureen...as you can see it's a measure of quantity. But it doesn't always mean quality...this is my two thousand and ninety first post...which is evidence enough!

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Maureen B-N » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:27 pm

Thanks Richard - now I know. Long way to go for me !
Maureen B-N
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:26 pm

Salut Maureen

I've been following your contributions with great interest, too. I've read both volumes of 'The Story of Lotus ' (second was a bit dry) and a behind the scenes view would make an excellent complement.

Thank you for your insights so far, and I too encourage you to write a book.

Best wishes

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Maureen B-N » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:56 pm

Hi Vernon - good to hear from you. I have not read (or ever seen, or heard of) The Story of Lotus, but I am going to look on Amazon now to see if I can download onto my Kindle. I am located in South Africa - comprehensive bookshops are few and far between, unfortunately. I can promise you that my book certainly will not be 'dry' - quite the opposite. In fact I shall have to be careful not to slander anyone. Sadly a lot of the people I knew at Lotus have now passed on, but I have good memories - it was an exciting time.

Cheers, M
Maureen B-N
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:13 pm

Salut Maureen

Don't think they're available on Kindle, though they are almost old enough to be available on Google books!

Here's the first:

1947-1960.jpg
1947-1960.jpg (21.1 KiB) Viewed 12962 times

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Story-Lotus-194 ... 39&sr=1-17

... and the second:

1961-1971.jpg
1961-1971.jpg (25.92 KiB) Viewed 12962 times

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Story-Lotus-196 ... 805&sr=1-3

As you can see from the second-hand prices they're becoming collectable.

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Maureen B-N » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:22 am

Hi Vernon - thanks for posting the cover pictures. I found Part 2 on Amazon, but for sale, not for download onto Kindle. I can't buy from Amazon because of price - there is so much theft at the airport and post office here that anything ordered from Amazon has to come via courier, and that makes the price prohibitive. Will be in England next year and will look out for them - thanks for bringing them to my attention.

Cheers, M
Maureen B-N
Second Gear
Second Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: