Delamare Road yesterday and nearly fifty years ago

PostPost by: abstamaria » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:17 am

Picture 1_2.png and

And here is a close-up view of the old works, the ramp for the Cortinas still in place (and visible from outer space), but the small building at the rear of the parking lot (the Directors' Dining Room?) is gone.

Where was your 1966 photo taken, Maureen?

Andy
abstamaria
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:34 am

Hi Maureen

Can I too add my delight as to your arrival on this forum. Some very illuminating info !

You may be interested in this thread on the Autosport forum "The Nostalgia Forum". http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?showtopic=93932

Although it starts of about Hornsey, it migrates into....well all sorts really.

Best regards
Richard
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Maureen B-N » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Hi Richard - thanks for the link, I will check it out now. Andy you have asked a very good question - it looks to me as though we were standing at the side of the main building, but after all this time I really can't remember. Thanks very much for the 'view from space' - I wonder why the directors' dining room was removed ? We may never know - but next year when I am in the UK I intend to go to the old factory and ask if I can go into the offices which used to belong to Lotus Developments. The people occupying the factory now may say 'no' but they may at least be able to tell me why they demolished the directors' dining room.
Maureen B-N
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Maureen B-N » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:58 pm

Richard - I sent copies of my photographs to William at Coterie Press in Colorado. They wanted to buy them for their archive (also my knock off wheel nut) but I said 'no'. I don't want to sell these things, but in the end they were happy with good scanned copies. Well I had a very nice surprise today - as a 'thank you' Coterie sent me a copy of the DVD you mentioned, about Colin Chapman and Team Lotus. That was really kind of them. Hoping to watch it this evening.
Maureen B-N
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:55 pm

Maureen, you`ve not posted for a while so I hope you`ve been busy with your book, so eagerly awaited by all I imagine.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:41 pm

Maureen M wrote:Hi Richard - thanks for the link, I will check it out now. Andy you have asked a very good question - it looks to me as though we were standing at the side of the main building, but after all this time I really can't remember. Thanks very much for the 'view from space' - I wonder why the directors' dining room was removed ? We may never know - but next year when I am in the UK I intend to go to the old factory and ask if I can go into the offices which used to belong to Lotus Developments. The people occupying the factory now may say 'no' but they may at least be able to tell me why they demolished the directors' dining room.

I passed the factory a year ago and it looked unoccupied. I used to live in the area in the 1970's and 80's and I can't ever remember seeing the buildings being used. I suspect the great Tesco empire whose head office is opposite bought the site and hoped to develop it, but planning permission was not granted - just a guess, maybe somebody knows the truth. That said if it were Tesco's I would have thought that they'd have let their staff use the car park, which from the Google Earth photo looks empty.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Maureen B-N » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:09 pm

That's interesting - so the building looks empty. Well I shall definitely find out next year !
Maureen B-N
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Maureen B-N » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:11 pm

Hi Jim - been busy, but I'll get to it :oops: (promise)
Maureen B-N
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Maureen B-N » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:29 pm

Does anyone still come back to this forum ? I have not heard from anyone for ages .....
Maureen B-N
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:06 pm

Absolutely! We're all waiting with baited breath for your next installment!
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: abstamaria » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:14 pm

Still here, Maureen.

Best wishes,

Andy
abstamaria
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:40 pm

Keep the faith Maureen, looking forward to your endeavors.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Maureen B-N » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:01 pm

Hi - good to know you guys are still around. I am off to the coast for a week (swapping my gym workouts for early morning walks on the beach - can't be bad) but I'll be in touch when I get back. The book progresses, but slowly. When did life suddenly become so busy. BTW - I sent copies of my Lotus photographs to William at Coterie Press in Colorado. As a 'thank you' he sent me a copy of the DVD 'Millionaires, Colin Chapman'. Wasn't that kind ! I really enjoyed watching it. I also sent them to Classic Team Lotus, and (apparently) there is something on its way to me from their PR lady, Sapphire. Unfortunately I suspect it is not an Elan :cry:
Maureen B-N
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Maureen B-N » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:35 pm

My parcel arrived from Classic Team Lotus - two posters, one with drivers' helmets and the other with classic F1 cars. Also a 'compliments slip' with a message, signed by Clive Chapman.
Maureen B-N
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:54 pm

Hi M,

Maureen M wrote:Richard - I sent copies of my photographs to William at Coterie Press in Colorado - as a 'thank you' Coterie sent me a copy of the DVD you mentioned, about Colin Chapman and Team Lotus. That was really kind of them. Hoping to watch it this evening.

Great stuff!

Maureen M wrote:My parcel arrived from Classic Team Lotus - two posters, one with drivers' helmets and the other with classic F1 cars. Also a 'compliments slip' with a message, signed by Clive Chapman.

Excellent!

Next time mention your recent snowfall! :wink:

http://www.classicteamlotus.co.uk/_Atta ... eanieL.jpg

Cheers - R
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: