Europa Twin Cam buying advice

PostPost by: S3FHC » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:01 pm

The Europa is featured in issue 9 of Absolute Lotus magazine (September/October 2019)
There are some good comparisons made between the various types and some surprises with the valuations....
S3FHC
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: kwhittle » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:00 am

Am I allowed to advertise my book here ??
"Lotus 46 the S1 Europa"

Covers the first 644 Europas built, all LHD for export, lightweight racer for the road !
Kevin Whittle
kwhittle
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rcfurse » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:21 pm

For anyone running a Renault engine car there is an excellent supplier at https://www.renault16shop.com/website/index.php?ProductCategory=3951377&Index=1&Lng=en.
I have no connection.
Richard Furse
Funemployed in N Wales
S3 DHC
S4 DHC
S4 FHC
S4/Sprint
340R
SID
14 "others"
rcfurse
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 74Twincam » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:02 am

Stuart,

Respectully, your friend might want to back into his price, by thinking what he might consider the value of the car to him upon completion. You mention it?s a project (and a Twin Cam) and I can say from first hand experience that the cost to complete the project, regardless of the car?s current market price, is the same as any other project. Low side price may be a few thousand if there is a load of work ahead, but look at what portions are complete (a disassembled car with a decent body, chassis, all the bits and a fresh engine rebuild might be worth $10k, for example, where a complete car needing everything may only really be worth $3k)- it depends entirely on what needs to be done going forward. The completeness of the collection of parts and their condition is critical- frame, trim (window frames, bumpers, side glass, etc.).

Secondly, he should decide (search his soul) why he wants one and what he expects when complete. If he?s a speculating investor, the answer is obvious- politely walk the other way. If he?s approaching it as an enthusiast- proceed but with knowledge. If he?s looking for a Europa to drive, buy one that?s done, that he can test drive and use right away- take advantage of the previous owner?s investment in the restoration. If he?s looking for a fun project, then move forward. Focus on the cost to complete the car to the desired level of finish- driver, show quality, etc. and level of performance. Building a twincam engine for an Elan or a Europa is the same, paintwork and interior work, same, etc.

I know the market price for these cars is crap and a car in very respectable condition may only be able to fetch $20,000 USD on a good day. The very lucky few arrive at a price higher than that. However, the VALUE of the car to the owner could be different. Certainly the costs to complete it will likely be WAY higher that the market price.

The Twincam increases price over Renaults, Specials are worth more, with the numbered JPS Specials at the top of the food chain, and 5-speed is worth more than the 4. Check out lotuseuropa.org as well.

I spent countless amounts of time and money getting mine to where it is now, but I enjoyed the project journey, all the learnings and experiences along the way. I wouldn?t take less than $30,000 for mine, IF I ever decided to sell it. My logical self knows better, but my heart doesn?t care when I mash the pedal and hear the Twink sing right behind my head, especially knowing that I did most all the work to get it there.

Good luck to him
Attachments
ad3c33e2-621a-4e47-aea9-5185e7275d8d.jpeg and
74 TC Special
d30a4273-6ca5-494e-8c1e-a287bf88e630.jpeg and
74 TC Special interior
Bill
1972 Elan Sprint
1974 Europa Special
74Twincam
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:17 am

74 TwinCam and others, you are 6 years late to the party. I suspect that prices are a little different now and the deal has been done.

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 74Twincam » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:56 pm

Haha-

Thanks for the grounding Leslie... this is proof that good beer and the internet are not always a good mix! Laughing at myself for that!

-Humbled but Happy!
Bill
1972 Elan Sprint
1974 Europa Special
74Twincam
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: