The EU Referundum for the UK.

PostPost by: AHM » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:38 pm

terryp wrote:If you read the Guardian you get a different story.....
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... on-farmers

Rather unfortunate that your Guardian article says "ministers wanting instant answers to complex problems" would these be the same ministers that are the only ones you say are able to decide on the complex issuesof the EU?.... Or different ones?
Perhaps the recession, the emergency budget, the consequences, and the back of the queue. Were ill thought out comments from our great world leaders who jumped in without understanding the complexities of each situation?
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:58 pm

Well it looks like you lot have your country well and truly sorted!
Unfortunately your government doesn't seem so convinced on any aspect of it.
As Nick Clegg said , they have no clue as to what to do next. Perhaps you lot should run for government as you obviously know all the complex issues better than they do.
Good luck
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:03 pm

Who is Nick Clegg?
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:17 pm

Well, I just had an admittedly very quick glance through the Guardian article & have to agree with Bill.
All I can say is Cornelius Vermuyden came over from Holland in the 1600's & set about properly draining large areas of land in Norfolk/East Anglia & left us with the Great Ouse network as we know it now. He redirected existing rivers, completely reversing the flow of one large section, now known as the Old West river, & dug several drainage channels. This has kept large areas of East Anglia above water, with regular maintenance, for over 350 years & provided a navigation system for freight & latterly pleasure boats. 16 years of EU interference, & it's in danger of falling apart, the work now required to get back to where we were amounts to a massive task, with related massive cost. But hey, blame who you like, I'm sure you'll find a scape goat paddling around in the floods somewhere.
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:54 pm

terryp wrote:It was Peter North I quoted.
I did watch a 2.5 hour treasury committee meeting with Richard North. He had a lot of ideas but maybe a bit ahead of his time, in the interim the country would come to a standstill.

Bonne Courage

My mistake, getting mixed up with names.

Richard was the guy I met, not Peter, but I have seen Peter's blog before.
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:17 pm

Orsom Weels wrote:The factual information I quoted came from a guy called Andy Hubble, the EA's river inspector for our (my) network.

And for what it's worth, he's right. The Monbiot article, the EU claims and the general response against dredging, at least in the papers I've seen, have all been carefully worded. The claims I've seen have been that dredging wouldn't prevent extreme flooding, which of course is perfectly correct. If a tsunami comes down the river you're going to need a bit more than 6 foot off the bottom to prevent soggy feet..

However where a river breaking it's banks is due to slow build up, then dredging will be effective if only because it allows a faster outflow away from the residential areas. You only have to think about it and do some basic maths of "rate of fill" vs "rate of exit" and the logic is pretty obvious. Quite stunning that someone can argue it's not effective.

Thankfully, living in the fens and having a drainage dyke outside our house we have no such restrictions, or maybe we do and the locals ignore them ? Otherwise our village would be under water, just like it used to be several hundred years ago.
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:24 pm

AHM wrote:Who is Nick Clegg?

Nick Clegg is an Expert from the Liberal Party and well known EU proponent.

Well, "expert" in the sense that "Ex" is something that "has been" and "spert" is a drip under pressure.

Sorry, couldn't resist it. It must be well past my bedtime. :wink:
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:40 pm

UAB807F wrote:
AHM wrote:Who is Nick Clegg?

Nick Clegg is an Expert from the Liberal Party and well known EU proponent.

Well, "expert" in the sense that "Ex" is something that "has been" and "spert" is a drip under pressure.

Sorry, couldn't resist it. It must be well past my bedtime. :wink:

And someone who turned out to be even less popular than the EU to the British electorate :lol: :lol:
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:01 pm

So he would be on the Re-Moan side :D
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:31 pm

AHM wrote:So he would be on the Re-Moan side :D

:lol: :lol:

Made me think of Arthur Bostram as officer Crabtree in Allo Allo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGNVU5ZjlgA
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:46 am

Leave Uncle Nick alone...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:02 am

And what did the Romans (EU) ever do for our fishing industry?
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:33 am

john.p.clegg wrote:After long consideration and a fine celebratory bottle of red,maybe your new President Trump and our new Prime Minister Boris could negotiate the return of the Americas to the Queen...?

Was only three years ago I predicted this....

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:55 am

Warning, the following comment is meant to be ironic.

If there is a no deal, will we start importing our BMW X1, X3, X5 SUV's etc from the Spartanburg South Carolina plant in the USA?

(clue, all BMW X models are built in the USA)
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:57 am

terryp wrote:Well it looks like you lot have your country well and truly sorted!
Unfortunately your government doesn't seem so convinced on any aspect of it.
As Nick Clegg said , they have no clue as to what to do next. Perhaps you lot should run for government as you obviously know all the complex issues better than they do.
Good luck

Aged really well.
Good luck everyone, you will need it.

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: