The EU Referundum for the UK.

PostPost by: terryp » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:59 am

terryp wrote:You cannot put up a border in NI. It's taken so many years to get it down, the last thing they want is a new border.
I'm not sure anyone has an answer to this one only to not put up a border!!

The petty regulation you talk about with the car industry is basically for continunity of product throughout the EU. So if a car is made in Spain it will have the same spec as a car made in Germany etc and being able to freely sell the car throughout the EU, the basics of the single market.
If the UK come out of the single market and ditch the petty regulations as you say, the only people it would be able to sell cars to are the British! (After they repeal the EU regulations!)
Most Japannise producers use the UK as a springboard into the EU. Most were bought here by Thatcher years ago and promised free continued access into the EU. If the UK loses that access the attractiveness of their base in the UK goes especially with cheaper labour in Eastern Europe. And the Japanise car makers are going to be a little p*ssed off, hence the recent document received from the Japanise government.
Take Nissan in Sunderland, they employ 8000 people but the knock on industry's throughout the UK amount to another 30000 or more. Add to them Toyota, Hitachi, then the scale of the problem becomes obvious.
If the EEA option is adopted then they really lose control. They then have no say in any petty regulations that are decided by the other member states but at least the car manufacturers would stay.

Now this one, really has aged well.
Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:00 pm

john.p.clegg wrote:
john.p.clegg wrote:After long consideration and a fine celebratory bottle of red,maybe your new President Trump and our new Prime Minister Boris could negotiate the return of the Americas to the Queen...?
John :wink:

Was only three years ago I predicted this....

Two down, one to go .... :lol: :lol:
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:02 pm

Spyder fan wrote:Warning, the following comment is meant to be ironic.

If there is a no deal, will we start importing our BMW X1, X3, X5 SUV's etc from the Spartanburg South Carolina plant in the USA?

(clue, all BMW X models are built in the USA)

Not quite all, X1s & 2s are built in Germany, some X3s in South Africa & China; but we build most X3s & all X4s, X5s, X6s & X7s.

Agreed with the good luck sentiment, you will need it. :roll:
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:11 pm

pharriso wrote:
Spyder fan wrote:Warning, the following comment is meant to be ironic.

If there is a no deal, will we start importing our BMW X1, X3, X5 SUV's etc from the Spartanburg South Carolina plant in the USA?

(clue, all BMW X models are built in the USA)

Not quite all, X1s & 2s are built in Germany, some X3s in South Africa & China; but we build most X3s & all X4s, X5s, X6s & X7s.

Agreed with the good luck sentiment, you will need it. :roll:

I stand corrupted!

Bugger! did I just win that?
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:12 pm

As for the NI border, the EU will impose this , so the " IRA " can no longer blame the UK..

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:15 pm

john.p.clegg wrote:As for the NI border, the EU will impose this , so the " IRA " can no longer blame the UK..

Actually I think it will be those WTO rules that will impose this.
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:25 pm

Just thought I would back it up with some facts, remember them everyone, that's what we use to use before belief and lies

1. Most-favoured-nation (MFN): treating other people equally Under the WTO agreements, countries cannot normally discriminate between their trading partners. Grant someone a special favour (such as a lower customs duty rate for one of their products) and you have to do the same for all other WTO members.
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:38 pm

terryp wrote:Just thought I would back it up with some facts, remember them everyone, that's what we use to use before belief and lies

Boris doesn't like facts... https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/sep/18/boris-johnson-350-million-claim-bogus-foreign-secretary
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:15 pm

Boris used to be my local MP (about 15yrs ago), and as such was 'on-call' for whatever local businesses wanted a new office opened or sports event attended etc. He even bought a house just up the road and you'd see him shopping in Waitrose. In his 'cut the ribbon and make a speech' capacity I got to spend a morning with him and found him to be a perfectly likeable and obviously able bloke (he says, damming with faint praise :lol: ) but prime minister, I'm not sure that's a peg I'd have hung him on.

In the past senior politicians seemed to be cut from a different, patrician, cloth. I've met a few of the old school ones over the years and they certainly had a kind of gravitas about them. Whether that was simply a tactic to deflect all the stories about their 'after hours' exploits or whether they really were operating at a different level I never did work out but there certainly seemed an unbridgeable gulf between 'them and us'. They were Norman warriors in shining armour to our dung covered Saxon yeomen. And now where are we - the ship of state seems to be heading straight for the Brexit iceberg, with one of the stokers as the only person left on the bridge and wondering what all the knobs and dials do. Everyone else has either already jumped overboard or are locked in down in steerage.

It's going to be an interesting, if somewhat bumpy, few months.
Stuart Holding
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rcfurse » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:32 pm

There is a saying about certain people that "you had to check how many of your fingers were left after you shook their hand" . In the case of the member for Henley you need to count your toes too. He will tell you anything you want to hear to get whatever he wants from you and then tell the complete opposite to the next guy. Should not have even been trusted with a sandpit IMHO.
Richard Furse
Funemployed in N Wales
S3 DHC
S4 DHC
S4 FHC
S4/Sprint
340R
SID
14 "others"
rcfurse
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:35 pm

Instead of all and sundry nailing their colours to the mast ,
why don't we all agree to the collective noun , " politicians " ?

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:36 pm

Ex member for Henley. He dumped us to become London mayor. Is it Uxbridge or somewhere near there now? The current member for Henley is a man with so much presence I bent his ear at our local fete community stall for a good 20 mins without realising who he was. It was my wife who told me afterwards. I'd assumed he was someone from the town council. Henley is one of those places where a bladder on a stick would get elected as long as it was wearing a blue rosette and the hon member certainly toes the party line.
Stuart Holding
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:33 pm

To steel a comment from someone at work:

Vote share:
- Johnson: 0.2%
- Hunt: 0.1%
- Could not vote: 99.7%

I find it scary that at this critical and sensitive time for the UK a new PM that has a very questionable relationship with reality has been appointed and appointed in what he has previously described as a none democratic way.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:22 am

Great cartoon in the Washington Post today:
2019-07-24-07_06_38-tweedle-d-is-joined-by-tweedle-b-the-washington-post.jpg and
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:15 pm

Whether or not Brexit occurs, the UK car industry would be heavily damaged anyway because of the free-trade agreement between Japan and the EU.

Japan would find it easier to make Japanese cars (for the EU) in Japan, and avoid dealing with fractious British workers and the tariffs between Japan and the EU will taper to zero over the next 10 years.

The EU may have bitten off more than it can chew with this particular FTA as it may also damage the German/Italian/French car industries.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: