driving displeasure

PostPost by: Elanconvert » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:31 am

does anyone agree that ubiquitous potholes have taken much of the pleasure out of drivng?
even on my local routes where I know most of their locations, rememberng to avod them is a pain.... :evil:
on strange roads concentrating on the surface ahead is constant.......BUT I have a solution!

there are presently thousands of idle but able-boded persons detained at her majesty's pleasure....they could be organised into pothole-filling gangs.....no pay, but for every day's work, they get two days off their sentence.......end up with lots of experienced potholers..........win, win, win!

[for those of you old enough to remember the monster raving loony party, this is not one of their ideas!]

:D fred :D
'Never give up!....unless it's hopeless.....'

1970 S4 dhc big valve
1973 Ginetta G15
1967 Ginetta G4 [sadly now sold]
1959 lotus elite type 14
Elanconvert
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:10 am

Would get my vote in an instant.
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:15 am

Don't forget the unemployed!!

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:16 am

...it won't happen, imagine the uproar in The Guardian - 'uman rights!
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Rob P » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:41 am

"That's the sound of the men working on the Chain Gangs" so the old song goes :-)

Not sure this would fly though, maybe employ more council workers and get the government to fund the councils better rather than waste money on some of the less effective elements they throw money at these days>
Oh no I just went political, sorry guys :-(
Simplify and add lightness

Lotus Elan S4 Coupe - Wedgewood Blue
Lotus Elise S1 - Racing Green
Rob P
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Stevie-Heathie » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:38 am

Unfortunately filling the holes is just a temporary fix. In a few days / weeks / months the pothole will reappear. The real solution is wholesale improvement to the road surfaces - i.e. a big job which few councils can afford.

Surrey, one of the wealthiest counties in the UK, has amongst the worst roads for potholes I've driven anywhere in the developed world (driven in 19 countries and counting).

A good friend of mine was killed when he came off after hitting a pothole on his pushbike a year ago.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co ... p/39142288

Best
Steve
1967 S3 SE DHC
1970 +2S (RIP - went out in a blaze of glory in 2001)
Stevie-Heathie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:15 pm

when i was still working in england (1980 - 1985 ca.) they weren't all that bad. switzerland btw has a proper or functioning democracy which means WE also get new roads and sometimes fixed potholes (these folks here are rich enough to usually pave the entire road) this here is the opposite of the US! sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:56 pm

This thread brings Cool hand Luke to mind... Haven't eaten a cold Boiled egg for years!
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:31 pm

It is a great use of the detained. We have "Honor Camps", out in the back country, for those on good behavior and low risk crimes in my neck of the woods. These people, both men and women, are used for fighting forest/brush fires and making improvements to parks, and trail systems. It is a win win for everyone. No one complains.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:02 pm

Rob,

It wouldn't happen here; believe me the bleeding heart liberals would march on Parliament. It's impossible for the Government to do anything without trial by media
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:14 pm

prezoom wrote:It is a great use of the detained. We have "Honor Camps", out in the back country, for those on good behavior and low risk crimes in my neck of the woods. These people, both men and women, are used for fighting forest/brush fires and making improvements to parks, and trail systems. It is a win win for everyone. No one complains.

In South Carolina we have litter crews in orange "uniforms " on the interstates... again everyone benefits...
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:40 pm

I'm tempted to give this stuff a try

Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:05 pm

i'd have a bottle - its even the fortified stuff: lovely stuff?! thanks sandy 4982
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:16 pm

OOOOOOOOOOOOOH, yes please!

A friend once made some brews for a weekend gathering of enthusiasts of old BMW motorbikes. The stout that looked like dirty motor-oil went the fastest and was my fave.

Or back to the original post, you could always try this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/3 ... s-drawings
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: loueelotus » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:27 am

Hi.. You guys have not see the absolute worst roads in the free world.. The road and sewer infrastructure has not been touched for up to 50 years because we had a separatist government in Quebec, Canada for about 35 year off and on and most money went to the French language.. Now most people speak French and with a liberal government they are rebuilding the roads and infrastructure which will take forever and boy are we suffering with the roads---- with almost no english around.. Google it if you want more info.. What a place to live in now.. If own a lotus or any sporting car is that you must be an obsessive person... lo...l

Lou
Louis Lottner
Elan S2 1965 #26-4840
Colin Chapman’s immortal words ‘Simplify, then add lightness’
loueelotus
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: