J. Geils

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:37 pm

I am sorry to hear of J. Geil's passing yesterday. As well as music, fine automobiles ran in his blood. I remember him arriving in his Elan at Don Tingle's shop in the late 70's to buy parts. Financial success with the J. Geils band saw him quickly move to vintage Ferraris. He was regular at the Wednesday lunch with the old boys, this group has a shared interest in pre-Elan Lotus cars. He started the band while he was still a mechanical engineering student and always seemed to appreciate fine mechanical details.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotocone » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:20 pm

I am sorry to hear of his passing at age 71 also. Too bad he didn't have a much longer life.
I had no idea that he was an Elan owner who stopped at Tingle's, or a Ferrari owner.
It's interesting that he was a mechanical engineering student. Engineers were considered nerds when I was
engineering student.
Bob
1969 S4
lotocone
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:29 pm

Indeed - very sad. The Wednesday lunch was crowded today (including pissant!).

I don't get to the lunch often, but the last time I saw him there he mentioned the firing order of V12 Ferraris vs. Lamborghinis and the merits of the resulting sound (Ferraris being judged superior). Way outta my league!

Nice, regular guy.

RIP

j-geils.jpg and

(Scott Legato / Getty Images)
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:41 pm

All together now... dah da da dah dah da,...... RIP
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:32 am

Whenever I hear the name J Geils, I think of the engine or at least the head that Dave Tabor of Comptune fame did for his Lotus Elite.

This was probably early 1990s and I was actively racing my Lotus Eleven, and actually was building a late firepump block into an FWE, so I listened and gleaned as much as I could of what Dave was telling me and it manifested that knowledge in my home built FWE that is still in the car, although I don't choose to race it today.

Dave Tabor left us many years ago. His son kept the business going for a few years, but alas, he did not have the skills of his father.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:44 am

Sad to here the news.
A tenuous link - I saw the J Geils band support the Stones at Roundhay Park in Leeds in 1982.
And my transport to the venue was my Sprint, purchased a few months previously!
Richard
Lotus Elan Sprint FHC 1973
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:43 pm

pharriso wrote:All together now... dah da da dah dah da,...... RIP

Actually the 1980's songs that earned so much money for the J. Geils band were also the source of friction within the group. J himself was a very serious student of the blues and wanted the band to stay in that genre, although I doubt he reused any residual payments for the rock and roll stuff.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:55 pm

The last time I saw J at the Wednesday lunch we was wearing a vey nice Hesketh Racing jacket that the took in trade for a J. Geils Band tee shirt from Le Patron, Lord Hesketh during a European tour. J was very gleeful in thinking he got the better half of the swap. He also told a hilarious story about running a recent tour event in Italy in one of his Ferraris. He and his co-driver observed a car with J. Geils Band bumper stickers, full of kids, passing in the opposite direction. They spun the Ferrari around in pursuit thinking that the kids in the other car would be dumbfounded to be caught up be the real J Geils. After a short bit of pursuit both J and the co-driver decided that the kids would never believe that the two old guys with grey hair in the Ferrari were in fact J Geils and another band member. They gave up the pursuit and rejoined the tour event.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:35 am

Great story Russ, thanks for sharing!
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC