To wave, or not to wave, to other drivers.

PostPost by: reb53 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:52 am

I saw this elsewhere and thought it apposite, as I'm always getting waves from MX5 drivers......
Ralph.

To wave or not to wave
With acknowledgement
Doug C
Powell River, British Columbia, Canada

I need some clarification regarding driving etiquette.

While out for a spin in our TR6 the other day, my wife noticed that I waved to the drivers of some cars but not to others despite their waving to us.
To her it seemed kind of rude not to acknowledge other classic and convertible cars.

I explained it to her this way. First of all, I acknowledge everyone. Just a little more enthusiastically to some more than others.
For example there are the classic British roadsters. These cars get an admiring smile and a full on wave as well as a knowing nod.

Next come North American and other European classics. These, I tell her, only merit a quick raising of the fingers from the steering wheel.
Then there are newer convertibles whose owners think they are worthy of our recognition and acceptance. Why is anybodies guess.
They only merit a very casual, almost dismissive raising of one finger (not the bad one).

"But why discriminate" she asks " they're all nice cars and they wave to you, why just wave to the British cars?"

I think for a second and then it hits me. It's because they don't know our pain, they have no idea of our suffering and the long journey it took to get to this point.

They have no idea what it is to deal with Lucas electrics, logic defying fuel problems and a suspension devised sometime prior to the invention of the oxcart.

These other cars are relatively reliable and fairly easy to diagnose. And new cars...don't even go there.
So that is why I feel there should be a hierarchy of waving. British cars get the royal treatment while others get cursory acknowledgement.

Just then, as she is digesting my waving manifesto, we see a Mazda Miata (or MX5 as they are now called) approaching. The driver gives me a big cheery wave.
"Hey you didn't do anything, not even a little finger wave." she says

More explaining. All rules have exceptions, the Miata is Japan's attempt to gain street cred with the classic roadster crowd.

To me these cars are something you give to your daughter for graduating. A nice, quiet, cute and reliable little car that gets you from A to B without much worry.

There is always a grinning Miata driver waving madly at me as we cross paths.

You can just feel the longing for acceptance, the hopeful look in their eye that I, a true aficionado at the wheel of a restored vintage roadster will see them as equals.

I give them a half hearted mini, almost imperceptible smile. No nod, wink or even a raised eyebrow. I make it very ambivalent. For all they know I might have been thinking of last night's pizza.

To put it into perspective, once these cars are worn out and broken down, does someone lovingly restore it and bring it back to life. Hell no, they junk it and buy another.

So am I right or wrong? Am I being a snob, elitist or am I drawing a line in the oil soaked sand of our garage. defining and elucidating a passion for the rolling art of old British cars.

When I wave to you it is with calloused palm, skinned knuckles and grease under the nails as my TR probably broke down a few miles ago and I was just under the hood sorting it out.
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:14 am

Interesting view. I believe there was a time when what we now consider "classics" were junked just like MX5s are today. How long before they attain classic status?

I've driven a Mk1 MX5 and I was impressed. It felt light, agile and rather stripped down. Would I swap my Plus 2 for it? Not on your nelly!
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:29 am

just because someone is driving a modern box doesn't mean they don't have an old classic just like yours at home!
probably on blocks and causing them more pain than you know.. be munificent in your wave returning ! :wink:
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:06 am

I wave at any marque if its a classic (and I like it...........) :mrgreen:
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chrispy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:42 am

I had a passenger of a 25 year old shitbox corolla hanging half out of his window waving at me the other day. He earnt his wave back :lol:
Chris
Elan +2 #0245
Exige S2 Supercharged
Chrispy
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:47 am

I wonder whether any of this is rooted in the first AA men that used to salute their members if seen out on the road?

Not sure I've ever actually waved as such. I'll raise a few fingers above the steering wheel occasionally - British Reserve an all that dontchaknow. What O!
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:57 am

An early MX5 is a neat and cute car. Hairdresser's is the normal dismissive descriptive.

It is unlikely to become a "classic" any time soon. Much like Honda's magnificent early VFR motorcycle. A superb bike made, virtually regardless of cost , to rescue Honda's reputation.
I was offered an immaculate, virtually untouched, 15000 mile example for ?3000.

It's possibly at manner of volume sold. Would the Elan be so revered if it was made by Toyota and there was thousands of them?

I would probably wave back, at least a reciprocal acknowledgement. (Unless it is a BMW of course.)
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:34 am

The MX5, as we know, was based on the Elan in that Mazda wanted to recreate its driving experience and (allegedly) acquired two Elans to dissect for the purpose of finding out what makes them tick.

It seems they were reasonably successful in this, but the Elan will still have the cachet of being first, and being a Lotus. When I look at the classic cars I've owned or experienced in the past, nothing comes close. Not surprising really, as they were MGs and Spitfires (which have their merits, but are plagued by rust and mediocre performance). The Plus 2 is essentially rust free, and it is able to properly hustle when the right foot is planted.

A DHC Sprint would have the same engine as my S130. That must be pretty awesome to drive.

Back on topic, sort of, and I am noticing many admiring looks and "Nice car, Mister!" type comments when I drive the Plus 2 around. It's a little bit embarrassing. There's not many people to wave to as it's winter and all the classic cars are probably tucked up in bed.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:30 am

JonB wrote:The MX5, as we know, was based on the Elan in that Mazda wanted to recreate its driving experience and (allegedly) acquired two Elans to dissect for the purpose of finding out what makes them tick.

I worked at International Automotive design in 1986 and we were designing and building the pre-production prototypes and the Paris IIRC auto show concept vehicle, there was a brand new Scimitar SS1, a Mazda RX7 and another similar vehicle I have since forgotten stripped to pi?ces for the relatively inexperienced designers to copy parts and draw inspiration from, the bosses had just walked into the dealers showrooms with cash, gave no identity and drove them away like a drug smuggler!!! From memory they were selected for being front engine, rear Wheel drive and with pop up headlights.

The mechanical design was just to make something that could be driven and thankfully the production vehicle used none of it as even as a junior guy I could see that what was being copied and drawn was in many cases utter crap, I remember the checker who had a dry sense of humour uttering the immortal words "very interesting, i think that is the first time I have seen a solidly mounted exhaust system.

The real expertise was body in white and clay modelling, the first prototypes had a solid metal body coloured tonneau panel behind the seats hiding the soft top like the Triumph Stag, this had 2 raised a?ro bulges like the D type Jaguar and it looked completely stunning, sadly it did not make it to the production models on the grounds of cost and probably weight.

I am a big fan of the original MK1 MX5, its not an Elan but came pretty darn close without being fragile and unreliable and they are a pleasure to drive, the only vehicle other than my 7's or the Elan which would make me set an alarm to get up at dawn and drive around for no other reason than the pleasure of doing so on empty roads.

Another memorable project was the body shell for the Metro 6R4 rally car, the one that looked like it as on steroids, they had already campaigned a 6R4 with a virtually stock body shell but the tyre supplier announced that they would no longer be supporting a full range of tyres and compounds for that Wheel size (12 or 13", cant recall) the following season so a complete suspension and body redesign was needed on the hurry up.

I've seen some footage of the original incarnation and its amazing to see a group B rally car in action that looks like a standard shopping car!
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:15 pm

I always wave to other Lotus owners and always have. Other classic owners receive a slightly less, but enthusiastic acknowledgement. Mx5 owners who raise an appreciative hand are acknowledged too, but those that wave their arms about in a brotherly fashion are ignored in an obvious, superior manner, of course!
On a similar topic, we used to live by a frequently travelled single track road with passing places. It was quite usual to give way to an oncoming car. Maybe 1 in 10 other drivers wouldn`t bother to thank you for the courtesy and, I have to say, it was invariably middle aged women who, perhaps, didn`t even notice. In a Lotus though, sadly, and noticeably, younger male drivers often wouldn`t bother to raise a hand in thanks, presumably deliberately.

I`ve always found that attractive young women in the street never wave back either. How strange?
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Rob P » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:34 pm

Anyone who takes the time to wave when I'm in the Lotus gets a friendly wave back
Probably because when I'm driving the Lotus I find my mood is at its best :-)

If someone is kind enough to acknowledge the car why not wave :D
Simplify and add lightness

Lotus Elan S4 Coupe - Wedgewood Blue
Lotus Elise S1 - Racing Green
Rob P
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:41 pm

Not enough Lotuses over here for much waving to happen, but in USA most all motorcyclists wave to each other, even if they're different enough that they ordinarily wouldn't associate. And of course lots of discussions and humour come from it. Some are snobby and won't wave to scooter-riders, for example. The humour is fun. Here's some gleaned from teh interwebz:

Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don?t Wave Back
10. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.
9. Leather and studs make it too heavy to raise arm.
8. Refuse to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.
7. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.
6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.
5. Angry because just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.
4. Just discovered the fine print in owner?s manual and realized H-D is partially owned by Honda.
3. Can?t tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.
2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet.
1. They?re too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.

Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders Don?t Wave Back
10. Wasn?t sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture.
9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.
8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.
7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.
6. The espresso machine just finished.
5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.
4. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories dealer.
3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.
2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player, seat temperature and satellite navigation system.
1. Couldn?t find the ?auto wave back? button on dashboard.

Top 10 Reasons Sport bikers Don?t Wave At All
10. They have not been riding long enough to know they?re supposed to.
9. They?re going too fast to have time enough to register the movement and respond.
8. You weren?t wearing bright enough gear.
7. If they stick their arm out going that fast they?ll rip it out of the socket.
6. They?re too occupied with trying to get rid of their chicken strips.
5. They look way too cool with both hands on the bars or they don?t want to unbalance themselves while standing on the tank.
4. Their skin tight-Kevlar-ballistic-nylon-kangaroo-leather suits prevent any position other than fetal.
3. Raising an arm allows bugs into the armholes of their tank tops.
2. It?s too hard to do one-handed stoppies.
1. They were too busy slipping their flip-flop back on.

Top Ten Reasons Why BMW Riders Don?t Wave Back
10. New Aerostich suit too stiff to raise arm.
9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered ?bad form.?
8. Your bike isn?t weird enough looking to justify acknowledgment.
7. Too sore from an 800-mile day on a stock ?comfort? seat.
6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to ipod, XM, or talking on the cell phone.
5. He?s an Iron Butt rider and you?re not!.
4. Wires from heated gear is too short.
3. You?re not riding the ?right kind? of BMW.
2. You haven?t been properly introduced.
1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:47 pm

Well said, Veg.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:21 pm

I only wave to other cars that I think are Lotuses as I peer at their blurred images through my cataracts. !

Just kidding :D
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: