Great British Baking Show

PostPost by: rdssdi » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:46 am

My wife watches the Great British Baking Show. One of the hosts Paul Hollywood speaks in a dialect. Where in the UK is that spoken?

My wife is addicted to the show. She cannot bake and can barely cook. If I did not cook we would have starved years ago. As I am on a low carb diet mereley watching a baking show will make me fat.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: S3FHC » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:38 am

Bob,

his accent is a mix of scouse (Wirral / Liverpool) and southern (London)

I hope this helps,

Mark
S3FHC
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:41 am

Paul Hollywood was born in Wallasey which is near Liverpool, so in the UK we would call his accent "scouse". It's not a really a dialect (which technically would mean he is using local words that aren't generally used by people from other regions), it's an accent (which relates to how he pronounces words rather than which words he uses, if that makes sense..)

I know what you mean when you talk about low carb diets. I fell off the low carb wagon years ago and the weight soon returned!

[edit: Mark beat me to it..]
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:26 pm

JonB wrote:Paul Hollywood was born in Wallasey which is near Liverpool, so in the UK we would call his accent "scouse".

Jon,
They won't thank you for stating that Wallasey is "near Liverpool". Cardinal sin.
Wallasey is in the Wirral, and therefore Cheshire, old boy.
Nothing like those hob goblins over the Mersey!
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:42 pm

I'm not a fan of Mr Hollywood though... he could come from Manchester for all I care.. "Eh? Eh? Ahh youuu shtaaahtin' like?!?!?"
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:06 am

Yes I understand accent versus dialect. At one time my wife and I ate large quantities of pasta. Not to mention deserts. I now go to the gym 4 times weekly and if I was eating the amount of carbs I did in the past I would gain weight.

Thanks. I appreciate the response.

Years ago I had a friend who worked in the U.S. for IBM. He retired decades ago and moved to Florida. Never did return to the UK. It appears Florida is a favorite retirement location for people from the UK and Canada.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:13 am

vincereynard wrote:
JonB wrote:Paul Hollywood was born in Wallasey which is near Liverpool, so in the UK we would call his accent "scouse".

Jon,
They won't thank you for stating that Wallasey is "near Liverpool". Cardinal sin.

Maybe, but the Wirral is only 7 miles away so I?d have thought the accent would be very much influenced by the big city neighbours. Much like the football taunts labelling them all hubcap thieves there?s always a grain of truth in there somewhere. Mark my words.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:06 pm

vincereynard wrote:

Jon,

Yer a bit out of date dere Wack. Been Merseyside for the last 45 years, not Cheshire..
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:30 pm

RogerFrench wrote:Yer a bit out of date dere Wack. Been Merseyside for the last 45 years, not Cheshire..

Well bu**er Me. I stand corrected. :)
I've never heard of Mersyside "county"!
Just as well mater is no longer here , as an old Port Sunlight(ish) resident, she would be appalled!
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Slowtus » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:42 pm

Not a Scouse though I did spend six weeks in jail in Liverpool and I find them to be an 'interesting' people.

Overly aggressive to the point of making some people get the vapours, falling limply to the floor - intensely and immensely welcoming to the point where you get weepy and insist on buying the whole pub/bar a drink...

Yes, they do have some scamps midst their motley melange but I would rather have them behind, comforting me than in front, confronting me. :D

As for the gent in question and the rest of that lot - love 'em all because they love what they do.
Slowtus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:52 pm

[quote="Slowtus"]Not a Scouse though I did spend six weeks in jail in Liverpool

Yes, they do have some scamps.

/quote]

Sounds like you were one of them! What did you do and how did they let you into Canada?
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Slowtus » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:03 pm

elanfan1 wrote:
Slowtus wrote:Not a Scouse though I did spend six weeks in jail in Liverpool

Yes, they do have some scamps.

/quote]

Sounds like you were one of them! What did you do and how did they let you into Canada?

Should have qualified that, it was an (ex) women's jail where I laid my head while training as a Merchant seaman. :D
Slowtus
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: