DVLA, MOT + tax exemption .

PostPost by: greg40green » Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:02 pm

Had a strange notification delivered by post today from DVLA , informing me that I needed to either re-tax my Elan, SORN it ASAP or suffer the legal consequences.
I was sure that my road tax required updating in May 2024.
As I was going to the post office anyway I took the renewal notice and presented it at the counter along with my V5C.
I was then informed by the Post Office that the my car could not be re-taxed as it had not been officially MOT exempt via the V112 exemption process.
I informed the clerk that the Elan had been registered as MOT exempt some years ago.
I assured the Post Office clerk that the car was registered as an historic vehicle and presented the V5 to show that it was registered as such on the V5
I then advised the clerk that I'd re-taxed the Elan for the last 2 years at this post office and had never been informed that the Elan was not MOT exempt , I produced 2 copies of the transactions of the last for 2 tax renewals .
At this point the clerk went into her computer system to check details and assured me that my Elan had not been MOT exempt and advised me to either MOT my car or complete the MOT exemption via completion of the V112 process.
I asked if the clerk could SORN my Elan at the counter but she was unable to do so which resulted in the clerk pressing a few keys and taxing my Elan from todays date for the next 12 months !?

This is not the only DVLA issue I've had this week ie , I registered a motorcycle as an historic vehicle and first registration in the UK as it originally come into the UK via the USA .
On receipt of the V5 and paper work from the DVLA ie, first registration number, the paper work informed me that I had to pay for the first years road tax costing £55.00 and thereafter my road tax would be free of charge even though my motorcycle had been registered as an historic vehicle and I'd paid for the registration process.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues ie , have the DVLA reviewed the way in which they are processing historical vehicles , MOT exemption ?
greg40green
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:12 pm

Hi Greg,
No issue with the Elan, but I seem to recall that when I went to register a 1963 Lambretta (it being an import) I had a small fee to pay.

I’ll see if I have my notes.

Cheers
Mark
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:33 pm

Hi

I was fined by the DVLA for not having declared one of my +2's as SORN when I bought it (in bits) a couple of years ago. I had actually tried on the DVLA website, but it would not accept the cars details. I then received a letter apologising for and cancelling the previous fine. Something to do with the car having been off the road for so many years. The DVLA are quite good at vomiting fines out and not understanding their own rules.

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: draenog » Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:55 pm

This is the V112 form:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... om-mot.pdf

It says this must be filled out and produced when taxing the car at a Post Office...

I renew my tax online, where there's a box you tick to declare MOT exemption. This must be done every time I renew.
draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:22 am

draenog wrote:This is the V112 form:

It says this must be filled out and produced when taxing the car at a Post Office...

I renew my tax online, where there's a box you tick to declare MOT exemption. This must be done every time I renew.

Ah yes, I was about to say it is easy when you do it on-line.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:33 am

I have just this moment renewed my road Tax on my Sprint with no problems.
I did it on line using the 16 digit code on the renewal form.
I had to click to confirm it was over 40 years old and not significantly modified in the last 30 years.
Nothing else and it was done.
Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: greg40green » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:13 am

Firstly to confirm , my Elan was registered as MOT exempt some years ago now.
Are you saying that every time a person goes to the post office to re-tax their historic vehicle they must produce a V112 form now?
I didn't last year or the year before .

draenog wrote:This is the V112 form:

greg40green
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: greg40green » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:20 am

Hello Mark , hope you are keeping well .
Re the registration of my motorcycle .
I paid the initial registration fee for the process ie ,£55.00 when I submitted the V55 form to the DVLA , when I received my Log book and new registration number the paper work informed me that I'd have to pay the first years road tax at £55.00 , thereafter it would be free of charge .
I've registered a number of historic vehicles from USA over the years and have never been issued notification to pay the first years road tax .

mark030358 wrote:Hi Greg,
No issue with the Elan, but I seem to recall that when I went to register a 1963 Lambretta (it being an import) I had a small fee to pay.

I’ll see if I have my notes.

Cheers
Mark
greg40green
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: draenog » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:41 pm

greg40green wrote:Firstly to confirm , my Elan was registered as MOT exempt some years ago now.
Are you saying that every time a person goes to the post office to re-tax their historic vehicle they must produce a V112 form now?
I didn't last year or the year before .

Yes, that would be my guess. This would be equivalent to ticking the box each time I renew online.
draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Billelan » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:25 pm

Further to this topic. I have an Elan that has been off the road for 30+ years. Soon I’ll be getting to the stage where it’ll be ready to apply for tax and MOT exemption. I have a V5C in my name but it doesn’t say “historic vehicle”.
Is it just a case of taking my V5C and V112 form to the Post Office and sending them off to DVLA for changing to Historic vehicle and MOT free?
It seems crazy to me that you can put a car back on the road without some form of MOT style safety test. I of course will be doing that for my own peace of mind.
Billelan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: SimonH » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:23 pm

I’m not convinced that you can declare a car mot exempt if it’s not currently got one if you get my drift.
It has to of course be road legal and compliant with the safety rules whatever so tbh a £30-50 check once a year is no great shakes.
SimonH
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:35 pm

I took a v5c, v112 and insurance info a post office and was able to declare my car historic and mot exempt.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: