Please Introduce your self and welcome to LotusElan.net

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:12 am

fodder for another thread
Hi Gary, How many members do you think have multiple identities?
------- A fourteen year old that uses the word "technically" and has "fond" memories of being driven to a hospital ( at the age of five ) .... and on and on.
Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jens » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:52 am

1964 S1 wrote:fodder for another thread
Hi Gary, How many members do you think have multiple identities?
-------

That's not the same thing as a split personality now is it? :wink:
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong - look at what they can do to a Weber carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver..." (CABC)

My one problem is that distance keeps me from my Elan. (36/5395)
Jens
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:18 pm

I'm not sure what's going on but let's not spoil Gary's topic. I may delete my last couple of replies...
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1558cc » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:26 pm

Surely you should be glad that I even decided to contribute to this place in the first place, it not the first port of call for most children when on the internet. Yes, I may use big words, that just makes me mature and well educated. I know that you didn't mean it in a detritus fashion, but was it even needed in the first place? Why not maybe extend your world view to the fact that yes there are children who can talk like adults, and who can string a few words together to make a comprehensible sentence. We're not all idiots.

I rest my case, and any moderator feel free to delete this, I'm sorry for spoiling this very nice thread, as it stood before "1964 S1" started to comment.

Jack
Last edited by 1558cc on Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1558cc
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Jens » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:04 pm

Jack,

I think that everything should be read with a whole bunch of smilies. I can't see anyone here that is rude on purpose! If my comment offended you, then i appologize for that. Surely wasn't on purpose in that case.

I think we all agree on the fact that your Elan is a nice one and what we are actually doing is - in a strange way maybe - welcome you.

Regards
Jens (slightly jealous that your Elan is in much better shape than mine.... :wink: )
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong - look at what they can do to a Weber carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver..." (CABC)

My one problem is that distance keeps me from my Elan. (36/5395)
Jens
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:15 pm

1558cc wrote:I don't know whether to be worried, gobsmacked or disgusted, at A) the fact that I came on here as a thought that you were a tolerating community and B) the fact that someone would even think that I was lying about my age.

Surely you should be glad that I even decided to contribute to this place in the first place, it not the first port of call for most children when on the internet. Yes, I may use big words, that just makes me mature and well educated. I know that you didn't mean it in a detritus fashion, but was it even needed in the first place? Why not maybe extend your world view to the fact that yes there are children who can talk like adults, and who can string a few words together to make a comprehensible sentence. We're not all idiots.

I rest my case, and any moderator feel free to delete this, I'm sorry for spoiling this very nice thread, as it stood before "1964 S1" started to comment.

Jack

Jack,
Take no notice of this bunch of old farts; they treated me derision when I joined and I was fifty years old! :twisted:

You'll find that none of the Americans can spell, let alone string together a sentence.

I have to say that I'm more than a little curious where you picked up the expression "baby Elan". :roll:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: niceolcars » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:18 pm

Hej Jens, i like the picture with that lovely small precious little red thingy sitting next to this big fat fugly dunnowhat..... :mrgreen:

AutoBild had some pix a few weeks ago over here, showing an old Mini 850 and that new "Mini" crossroad crap. It also was more than twice the size of its ancestor.

Why did it ever have to come so far with the auto mobile ! ?

And hey Jack c'mon, don't be offended. You might have noticed that Forum's can be a bit harsh which is owed to that anonymity thing,
but rest assured: this is the friendliest Forum i ever delved in. :wink:
Niels

26/4163

2005 Smart 450 cdi +
niceolcars
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:58 pm

garyeanderson wrote:OK now, My big mouth or fat fingers (both) have gotten me into trouble a couple of times it the last several weeks. There is an old Who Song the goes something like "who are you, woohoo woohoo, tell me, who are you, I really want to know, Who the Fu@% are you"
So any one care to talk a bit about your selves a bit before some more posts get deleted. I don't get to see or meet everyone on this forum and talk of number plates with letters in stainless and black don't cut it as Lotus talk in my narrow Lotus twisted brain. Anyone besides Russ and George building up a Twin Cam? Anyone do an engine swap other that all of those Zetec Plus2 things? I post a lot of crap here on Elans, Elite?s, Seven?s, Nine?s, even some Plus2 stuff (do you see a pattern here, older is better) and "you gave me no reply" for the most part. We don't seem to talk the same language or have the same interests or think the same things are funny. So Rob an I have Buried the Hachette (in my skull) and we seem to understand one another much better, Jason and I had a couple of messages back and forth and its seems a bit better but we still need to work on it a bit more. It seems Like John has taken the bait and I need to have a few emails to straighten that out. More is coming for sure. So help me here, I don't have a clue on who the OOP's are you? "No reply" is not an option from my perspective, to me that will be the same as FOB and that?s not a shipping term. I guess if I can't figure it out I'll be moven on to some other venture. It?s probably going to happen sooner or later anyhow "but I'd like to get to know you if I could"

So I'm Gary E. Anderson, the E is Elwood, after my Fathers brother killed in a hunting accident, not married, no kids, nearly died before I was 21 in a Jeep accident, lost my left leg below the knee. I had a couple dollars left after paying off the hospital bills and bought an S2 Elan the was burned slightly (small carb fire) with the remaining insurance money. I got it running and drove it for a week but the screen was cracked and needed a new one for the semi-annual car inspection in Massachusetts. Bought a new screen for an S2 and when it arrived guess what, an S2 screen is a type 36 or type 45 not a type 26 which is an S1 screen (Burned and learned). So I ended up walking for a while. Got a new screen and the Elan was running real good and trumpet nut came loose and imbedded itself into number 4 piston. Engine apart for a couple of days and along comes a huge ocean storm, worst in 80 years and drowns the Elan with the head off, oh ya, that new screen is laying on the floor in a million pieces. I went to work for Digital Equipment in 1980 and stayed till 1998 when it was bought by Compaq and they offered to let myself out the door. My Ex boss called me to do weekend baby sitting for another computer room and that ended in 2002 along with a shop that I was renting for 8 years but for another reason. The old rail bed went by the shop and they wanted to ?put a parking lot? where it stood for the renewed rail service to Boston. Beau showed up about the same time, he doesn't talk much but that?s a good thing. Been out of a real job since and not likely to get back to one again. So I been playing with cars since, mostly lotus but have others to. I think I have enough money to pay the taxes and eat peanut butter until I can collect a retirement check from the Feds, that?s if there is any. I?ve been selling a few Lotus parts and scrap metal to do anything other than eat lately but all of that is in the toilet at the moment So it lights out in Scituate when the sun goes down for the foreseeable future.

Gary Elwood Anderson

This is a topic of introductions or "who the Fire trUCK are you", not to crap on some one for there ability to write and communicate with proper punctuation and grammar or the lack of. Most of us write the way we talk and it may sound odd but that?s the way it works for most folks. I would guess that any comments in this section other than welcome are but useless to those that offer their introduction. Because you?re old and well, you and insert you own adjectives to fill in the blank. Anyway I am happy that enough folks offered there time to help me understand the Who and maybe some of the WHY that folks come around to offer strangers there spare time to get some 37 to 47 year old Lotus back on the road. There are not to many Elan?s that have been in continuous service since day one. The one or 10 that are, may be in need of our collective knowledge sometime soon. Take a look at 26/0086
elan-photos-f18/restoration-0086-t21274.html
in the Elan Gallery, than take a look at Alan?s Chopped top Duratec powered Elan in the same.
elan-photos-f18/fhc-soon-dhc-update-the-duratec-fits-hopefully-t19981.html

From one extreme to the next, you won?t or at least shouldn?t fine any negative comments without a smiley face. These are folks that are sharing what they are doing with us all and without them this forum would be all the more boring than the normal ?My Elan is broke? post. Give a little time and you may find that folks actually enjoy the time you put in to make this a great exchange of knowledge.

p.s. I can't spell, can't write, can hardly read and have to print my name so I can read it.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:04 pm

See what I mean, Jack. :twisted:

Gary- excellent. :wink:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: zimzum » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:55 pm

Hi all,

I?m Remi from France, born in 1984.
I?ve been reading this forum for a while now, and it?s time, I think, to introduce myself, as I?m not far from starting looking for my Elan.
Now in the garage is a Caterham 1600K SS, and a pretty Fiat 128 as a daily driver.
The next car to join them will be a Lotus Elan S3 Se FHC. I guess it will take time to find the right one, but I?m not afraid to come buy it in the USA, Canada or Australia if I find it there.
After the Elan, the next car in the collection will be a TVR Griffith 500. The ultimate jowel to join in the future, hopefully, will be a Ginetta (Dare) G4, but this might remain a dream as french registration services don?t like exotic cars much.
So I?m here to learn as much as possible about this Elan S3 FHC. I love the fixed head, really. So bad for me, it?s too rare!
Attachments
_IGP4453b.JPG and
Caterham 1600K SS
Paris, France
zimzum
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:38 am

The creepy thing for me about Pete's comments, akaElansprint71, is where this website originates from.
(proving I'm Amircurn, I ended with a prepotssion.(

erc
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:50 am

Hi Eric

We all have are differences with folks and nothing is any different on this forum. Folks don't have to agree with each other and that?s ok and me, It's actually better as someone else will offer an opposing or different view and it may help me see something that I assumed or just thought I knew. Take a look at the recent Block topic.

elan-f15/engine-identification-t21262.html

We have run this same topic a half a dozen times at least and out of it comes something that I didn't know and that's L blocks were being cast in 1965. I was going to offer up an opposing view as LP3719 a LoCorrt Twin Cam block (a June 1965 invoice ?approximate/guess? and block casting date of 5E20 -1965 May 20th) and Andy Bodge's block LP3831 (with a invoice date of July 21st 1965 and a block casting date of 5F15 1965 June 15th) are only a couple of months before 26/4997 engine number LP4165 with a invoice date of October 29th 1965 and a block cast date of 5H20 - 1965 August 20th and it has no L cast into the right hand motor mount. Sometimes we think we know things and then others come along to correct our lack of knowledge. What a great thing for folks to learn by others having presented what they know or own and everyone gets to learn.

As far as where this forum is hosted from, I don't think it matters a lot, I don't like the direction it has taken in the last 10 years but that my problem. Its not that anyone took over this forum, it?s more like the folks in the U.S. abandoned it for others to use. At least that?s the way I look at it/see it. This week not a lot of new elan/plus2 related topics to reply to and I didn?t feel like starting any that I had been planning. I have photos uploaded on the Elan vacuum system but haven gotten back to that and I was going to start a topic on Spyder chassis but it?s another that I was to lazy to do the work to get something together.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:54 am

Greetings zimzum, welcome aboard, please do not take offense if anyone is critical of your spelling, or use of the English dialect here. This is a global website.

Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:08 am

Irony; clearly not something the Pilgrim Fathers took across the water. :roll:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elan_fan » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:19 pm

Hi all, just stumbled across this thread and thought I would contribute (which I do too rarely as it would seem). I am 41 and live in Telford, Shrops, just down the road from Loton park speed hillclimb. MGs should be my thing really if the Father - son thing is anything to go by.
I guess I have always had a thing for Lotus from my toy car days. When I was old enough to learn to drive my dad says "you want to get a Lotus Seven". Cue me as an engineering apprentice pawing over various books learning all I could about Lotus. No way could I afford a Seven so I went for what I could afford which was a black Plus 2S which I bought in 1988 when I was 19 and the car was the same age. Fast forward a few years and I bought a Lotus yellow Elan S4 SE DHC. Fast forward again to this year and I decided to make good on the promise to myself and I bought a Caterham Seven Supersport. I still have both Elans, the Plus 2 is still being restored, the Elan is restored and the Seven doesn't need restoring.
I work as a technician for printer giant Ricoh repairing production print machines. Best part of Lotus owning for me is many happy hours with my dad working on the Plus 2 and then a gap of 20 years and then this year I have spent many happy hours fettling the Seven with dad and my son. In a fantastic bit of planning I even have a second son who is 5 months who should be just the right age when the Seven needs restoring and I am too old/fat to get under the thing.

8)

regards
Mark
elan_fan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: