Newish member

PostPost by: foxoles » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:55 pm

Hi,
Been a member for a while, but only now introducing myself.
Longtime Lotus fan and have just sold my Europa Special that I had for nearly 30 years following a nut and bolt restoration.
I now feel it is time I tried the delights of an Elan :D
I am on the lookout for a mid to late S3 DHC ideally in SE spec, but standard would be fine, so, if anyone knows of one that might be for sale in the UK - let me know. Only not in yellow, the Mrs hates yellow :roll:

Great forum this - I'm working my way through every post, gathering knowledge as I go.

Cheers
Jonathan
foxoles
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:30 pm

Beware of the fraudulent adverts.

There's a topic devoted to them on here somewhere.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:01 am

Welcome Jonathan! I'm sure you'll find all the information and advice you need on the forum. I looked long and hard for an S3 before I found mine, I bought it from the US, a number of RHD cars were exported there in the 60's through till the 80's. I've imported a couple of RHD Elans from the US, happy to advise if you find one over there.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:08 am

Jonathan
You don't say what condition you are interested in:-One to restore,Tidy run about, fully restored etc
Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: foxoles » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:19 am

Thanks for the advice, Bill & Mazzini.

Clive - Ideally a restored to original spec ready to drive, but anything but basket case considered - I don't have the time at present for a full restoration.
There was a dark blue S3 SE DHC recently on Ebay (see link), but it looked like the owners had flared the arches, added wide wheels, put in a Big Valve engine and trimmed it in grey leather - way too many changes from original for me - price was OK though :D .
http://tinyurl.com/l7khwla

Jonathan
foxoles
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: stovekjj » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:49 pm

Again, welcome to the group..

I bought my 67 SE DHC in 1981 (Toronto), and it was a beautiful yellow with lotus green bumpers and wheels..
but 2 yrs later the new missus came on board andhated yellow,
so it has been white w/silver since '85....

I wonder how many spouse induced colour choices have been made..
stovekjj
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Jeff@Jae » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:14 pm

I have a friend/client that has a really nice S3 Fixed head, blue in color. It's RHD, very correct and gets used regularly. If interested I will provide contact information. The owner does world class restorations and has done a number of Lotus cars to extremely high standards. He is one of only a few people that does this sort of work wherein you can drop off a Lotus and it will be done cosmetically and mechanically correct. No lost fasteners, no bodged electrics, no short cuts and sympathetic restoration by a Lotus enthusiast. This Elan is his personal car and he is only selling it because he isn't using it enough. Contact me offline, I have no financial connection to this Elan.
Jeff@Jae
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: foxoles » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:08 pm

Thanks for the offer Jeff, but, I'm really after a DHC.
foxoles
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: