Lotus Fanatic in the Middle East...!

PostPost by: desert rat » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:54 pm

Good Evening all. I am not truly sure that I belong to this community (Yet)!

I am a Yorkshire Gent that lives in Bahrain. My original interest in Lotus cars started with the Elan M100.
Looking at all the cars that are available here. From the first time I saw this car I wanted one.....

After meeting one of the old mechanics from Hethel Here in Bahrain that worked on and built the original Elan and heard all of his stories about the time he worked at Lotus and how he used to earn extra money working on the cars at the weekend for people that couldn't afford Lotus prices .... And then remembering my childhood watching the Avengers and Emma Peels little car..... I suddenly realize that I hold the same respect for Mr Chapman's original Elan as I do my 1992 GM version.

As there were only a maximum of 7 Elan M100 delivered here (most of which I have seen at some time in my 15 years here. I have never seen or heard of an original Elan here. :(

Hopefully 1 day when I return to the UK I will have both sat in my garage :)

The way I found your forum will probably be explained in my next post unless it is dismissed as spam :(
desert rat
New-tral

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:16 am

Hello DR,

Of course you are welcome here. I did a fair amount of work in Abu Dhabi and Dubai about 10 years ago.

Most of the locals I knew liked the higher end German and English cars.

Regards,
Dan Wise
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:13 am

Hello D-R,

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you'll find all you need here.

All the best,
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:54 am

Salut D-R

I had a Mazda RX-7 for my short stay in Dubai/Abu Dhadi. Not a Lotus, but an interesting car compared to the Mustangs that the local boys drove (local as in lots of money/don't have to work).

I had started my Lotus book collection, but knowing what I know now I don't think I would have brought an original Elan over. I remember the stupidity of taking my push bike - I lasted just a few kilometres before keeling over and flagging down a taxi to get me home; so I'm not sure even a wide radiator and double fans would do in the Middle East - I imagine with the combination of heat and humidity it would also self-decompose. On the plus side labour is cheap, though I don't know about competence.

Enjoy you M100 and welcome to the forum.

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: desert rat » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:05 pm

Thank you for the welcome messages. I have spent several hours browsing the forum and I am impressed with the amount of technical knowledge and help that this forum has to offer. It gives a good insight into what to expect if you buy an Elan

Being an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer and a lotus owner for well over 10 years.I enjoy tinkering with these old cars although access can be quite challenging... driving the car makes up for the trouble.
From my experience.... What is normally a 2 hour job on most cars can be a full days work on a Lotus. :shock:

After saying this.... I still love my car :D
desert rat
New-tral

Total Online: