Elan S4

PostPost by: djb222 » Sat May 24, 2014 1:58 pm

Hi everyone,

I've just taken delivery of a 1968 Lotus Elan S4 SE DHC in Yellow, and it hasn't stopped raining since.

Although in total it has covered 110k miles, in the past 20 years it has only done around 9000 miles. It was off the road for 6 years between 1988 and 1994 during which time it must have had it's new Spyder chassis fitted. Just over 1000miles ago in 2005 the gearbox had a full refurb. A new Mohair hood was fitted in 2009 and, as I have just found out has lost it's waterproofness.

I am planning to keep the car as original as possible. The car is by no means perfect and hope to return it to as new a condition as I can over the next few years. I will be producing a blog in due course to describe living with the car and the progress of the project. I already have several questions to ask your expert advice on very soon.

The current registration is 40 CTN which was transferred to the car in April 1976, the original reg being PCG 100G Does anyone know this car?

Here are a few pics.

Regards David

djb222
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sat May 24, 2014 2:44 pm

Hi David and welcome.
From the photos the car looks to be in a very original condition already, with just a lick of silver paint for the bumpers and wheels to complete the originality, at least from the outside!

Something to check early on is the age of the tyres and when the hydraulics were last overhauled. With such a low mileage over the past 20 years, I wouldn't mind betting that the rubber in the tyres and the hydraulics are way past their 'safe' date.

Worth having a quick look at the Rotoflex couplings as well for the same reason.

Great looking car and a superb colour.

Mark Kempson
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Wed May 28, 2014 4:11 pm

Elanintheforest wrote:Hi David and welcome.
From the photos the car looks to be in a very original condition already, with just a lick of silver paint for the bumpers and wheels to complete the originality, at least from the outside!

Mark Kempson

Or even better............as the car has chrome trim rings which look really nice on black wheels you could leave the wheels/bumpers black :D

That's a pretty car, hope you enjoy it :wink:
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Apx » Wed May 28, 2014 4:53 pm

If it helps, my S4 is just a few numbers away from yours also 1968 an SE variant in yellow and not a kit. From enquiries made so far it appears that it was delivered with black wheels and bumpers, so something that the dealer did if lotus did not. This information is a second hand memory so i don't know how reliable it will turn out to be. i can't as yet find any trace of silver paint on the bumpers or wheels on test areas. Lotus unfortunately have limited records and cannot even say the colour, they can only confirm numbers etc. My choice my well be originality as delivered rather than as made. Cheers Neal
IF EVERYTHING SEEMS TO BE GOING WELL, YOU HAVE OBVIOUSLY OVERLOOKED
SOMETHING.
Apx
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed May 28, 2014 4:58 pm

You could order any body colour from Lotus so I'm sure you could order black wheels and bumpers as well! I must admit that the black bits do suit the yellow.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed May 28, 2014 5:30 pm

David, good evening, hello and welcome.

Your car left the production line on 24 June 1968. It was first registered in Salisbury.

The best treatment for your mohair hood is Fabsil. A brilliant, easy to use and inexpensive water proofer and what I use on my daily driver.

The standard colour scheme for S4 Elans would have been silver bumpers and wheels, though as Mark says, the factory would colour things as you wished (including Camay pink!). As you surmise, I suspect that silver would have been original for your car, since +2s were not fitted with black wheels in 1968, which is where most owners got the idea from of retro fitting them.

Any way, it's your car and you do with it as you please!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: William2 » Sat May 31, 2014 4:57 pm

Hi David, hello and welcome. Looks like a very nice car and I note it looks like it is fitted with the wider S3 radiator which is no bad thing. Whereabouts in the UK are you?
I am currently doing a total rebuild on a 1971 S4 Elan. Finished the chassis build up and now working on the bodywork. I am located near Chichester, West Sussex. Regards, William
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: djb222 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:36 am

Hi,

Thanks for the responses and the info.

The tyres were all replaced in 2006 and look in very good condition with no degradation, with regards to the hydraulics, I will be checking everything all the bushes, rubber parts etc. I have a growing list of jobs as I go over the car, once the list is complete I'll prioritise the jobs and make a start.

I'm based in great barr, Birmingham. If anyone wants to PM me I'll send you my mobile if you want a chat.

Regards
David
djb222
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:19 pm

Personally I'd change the tyres just based on age.

Very hard to know what condition they are actually in. Have they been Sat on the same spot for 8 years or been flat. The rubber will also harden meaning less grip on the wet and mute likely to fail.

Basically better safe than sorry, why risk your car and life...
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: