1969 Elan S4 SE

PostPost by: HampshireMush » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:25 am

Hi all

I bought my S4 a couple of months ago now and am in the process of getting it sorted to how I would like it whilst keeping it as original as I can. The car was 'restored' about 24 years ago with a new Spyder chassis and the engine was rebuilt (rebore - crank reground and balanced etc by Oselli). Iit seems to have only done about 18K since then per all the old MOT's. It has been resprayed / colour changed in the more recent past from what was described on one MOT as Maroon to Lotus Yellow. When I bought it it was still registered as Red so had to get that changed with the new owner change.

Picture is of the car on the banking at Brooklands taken a few weeks ago (I am a retired engineer and work at the Museum as a Guide).

Elan @ Brooklands.jpg and

I want to thank everyone on this forum as I have already found it an invaluable source of advice and I have already used some of the advice to assist me in the work that I have done to date.

I am based in Camberley Surrey
John

1969 Elan S4 SE
HampshireMush
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanconvert » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:10 pm

hello mush!
welcome to the forum and the world of elan ownership!
I bought my s4 from a chap in woking last year, who is/was also connected to brooklands.....
my connection to the museum is a 1928 brooklands alvis which I believe is in the collection, owned by my old man in about 1946/7.......
the guys on here are friendly, knowledgeable and helpful, and they helped me buy my elan....

:D fred
'Never give up!....unless it's hopeless.....'

1970 S4 dhc big valve
1973 Ginetta G15
1967 Ginetta G4 [sadly now sold]
1959 lotus elite type 14
Elanconvert
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: HampshireMush » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:25 pm

Elanconvert

A bit off topic but thought you might like a few photos of your old man's Alvis.

It is currently in the workshop having the engine overhauled and some other bits done.

I'm sure you are aware that this one is unusual in that it is front wheel drive.

John
Attachments
brooklands alvis 3.jpg and
brooklands alvis 1.jpg and
brooklands alvis 2.jpg and
John

1969 Elan S4 SE
HampshireMush
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanconvert » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:04 pm

unnamed.jpg and

hi john ..don't know if you've seen this photo of my uncle in the car [circa 1946].....
good to see it's being well looked after!!! :)

:D fred [sorry .....still off topic!!]
'Never give up!....unless it's hopeless.....'

1970 S4 dhc big valve
1973 Ginetta G15
1967 Ginetta G4 [sadly now sold]
1959 lotus elite type 14
Elanconvert
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:23 pm

John,
welcome and thanks for sharing the pictures, your car looks great on the banking and the Alvis may be off topic but very interesting nonetheless.

I have just reminded myself that I have never been to Brooklands, I have lived in the South East all my life, so thats shameful of me :oops:

Perhaps fill us all in on upcoming events and maybe that will persuade a few visitors from the forums. Just post something up in free parking.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: