Intro and Sprint restoration advice

PostPost by: mjp78 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:48 am

Thanks all for the welcome and the information, both on here and PM. It's been amazing and really helpful.

Attached a few pics for those that asked.....
Last edited by mjp78 on Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
mjp78
New-tral

PostPost by: persiflage » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:07 pm

Welcome Martin,
Have you made made a definite decision not to do any work yourself?

What you have under that fibreglass skin, is in all honesty a pretty simple old style mechanical car with quirks and character :wink:
Bodywork apart, the ability to strip and rebuild the car is a great way to learn if you intend to keep and use, especially if the car is still 99% complete.
persiflage
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:48 pm

That's a very early cam cover on the car Martin, one of the first of the big valve covers. As your car is a '71, it makes sense that it's also a very early Sprint, or S4/Sprint. If you haven't already done so, send the chassis details to Tim Wilkes and he'll let you know where it sits in the scheme of things.

Even more interesting!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mjp78 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:22 pm

Would love to do some of the work myself. Not 100% ruled it out yet. But apart from not wanting to learn on this car (my skills and experience are pretty basic), time and practicalities of space end up making it a bit tough.

Thanks Mark,

Yes checked with Tim already, never noticed the cam cover until reading his site; its an early factory Sprint. But as you can see there's plenty of S4/parts bin bits; bonnet, steering column/ignition, silver wheels (not sure if left factory in silver or were painted later - I quite like them anyway), steering wheel (not really sure where that's from, looks a bit S4 standard but then the boss is different), wing badges are the championship ones on both sides. I'm sure we'll find some more as we go!
mjp78
New-tral

Previous

Total Online: