Newbie trying to get VGX 777G back on the road

PostPost by: Nickm » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:34 pm

Hi everyone
I thought it was time to go public as I have been utilising the forum since August last year and have already found it exceedingly helpful to a complete ?lan novice. I retired last year from broadcast IT and was looking for a something to keep me occupied. I haven?t worked on cars for a lot of years (engines and electrics got too complicated), but looking through the manuals I thought ?I can do that, I can do that?. So time will tell.

I bought a garage of bits in October 2014 that will hopefully make up a 1969 ?lan S4 SE with original UK Registration number VGX 777G. It left the factory as 45/8747 and was first registered on 20th February in Chislehurst, Kent, ending up, after 5 changes in Pontefract, Yorkshire. It has apparently been off the road since 1988 or so. It's colour was originally blue. PO has got all the DVLA paperwork sorted and even provided a rear number plate!

I have found a good few bits missing and some non-S4 parts (EG: I have the dual bonnet releases, early choke and heater cables and a heater with no outlet holes for the S4 Face Level vents, although the FLV are present). Previous owner had had the parts for a year and had done the most of chassis build. They also had the engine/gearbox reconditioned. He purchased lots of new parts including dashboard and body trim parts.

As I get to grips with it, using a Workshop Manual and Brian Buckland?s excellent Restoration Addendum manual, I have found other bits missing, so I?ll probably be asking a lot of ?does anyone have a spare...?. I have already got lists of parts to find and found Susan Miller, Paul Matty and Vincent Haydon very helpful.
Cheers for now
Nick
Nickm
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:09 pm

Welcome to the Elan Clan.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Europatc » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:56 pm

Welcome Nick
Stuart
ImageImage
Europatc
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:39 pm

Nick,

It sounds like a previous owner has bought the wrong dash. You might be able to exchange it. Some people prefer the two knob bonnet release saying it is more functional and reliable than the single knob design.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:39 pm

welcome & we can help!
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:42 am

Welcome Nick- sounds like a good project. Most bits and pieces can be found... somewhere. :D

Don't forget to register your car here:
http://www.elanregistry.org/

Every one added makes it a better resource.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mick6186 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:39 pm

Hi Nick,

Just a long shot, is the original owners surname Brodie or something similar?

Mick
Mick6186
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Nickm » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:11 pm

Mick6186 wrote:Hi Nick,
Just a long shot, is the original owners surname Brodie or something similar?
Mick

Hi Mick
The original owner was Heliot, then a dealer till Nov 71
nick
Nickm
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Mick6186 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:47 pm

Nick,
Thanks for that. The reason I asked was that in1970 I was an apprentice working in Bromley Kent and the guy I worked with for a couple of weeks had just won the premium bonds and bought a new blue elan. We roared up & down Bromley high street a few times and as a 17 year old I felt like a film star. I still remember it 45 years later!!
Mick6186
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: