+2, PMK 397F Project for new owner.

PostPost by: Elseezed » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:52 am

Hi all,
Just a quick intro, previous car was a Ginetta G15 that took 4 years to rebuild and finished in 2000. Competed in sprints and hillclimbs until 2009, several class wins. Sold it Dec2014.Before that had a historic stage rally Sunbeam Imp Sport and before that an MG Metro, again all used in sprints hillclimbs.
Just started a recommission on a early +2 in white 50/127. I did not get any documentation with the car, just the log book. Contacted Andy at Lotus and the DVLA to build a History. So far I'm the 6th owner, Last owner a Brian Jenkins bought the car in the early eighties and updated with a new Lotus galv chassis, new tan interior, glass sunroof, a front end panel (spotlights fitted) and a full respray. The +2 has stood since 1991 so a recommission is tuning into a restoration.
So far I have rebuilt the pedalbox with new master cyl's, fitted wiper motor, found vac switches were rusted through so rebuilding them, stripped down suspension/steering all cleaned and painted, just waiting for parts to rebuild, Radiator being totally rebuilt, wiring being tidied.
I do have some questions:
The earth wiring is white, the wiring diag shows black, is this typical of an early +2?
Wiring diagram shows headlamp flasher microswithes fitted, mine does not have any.
Need help with what all the previous owners have done, any photo's/ doc's eg MOT's, service doc's to verify miliage, speedo shows 24,000 miles?
So for now, Les.
Elseezed
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elseezed » Sat May 02, 2015 3:45 pm

early +2, why are earth cables white, see photo, wiring diagram shows all earths black. Les
Attachments
image.jpg and
White earth cables?s
Elseezed
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Sat May 02, 2015 5:31 pm

rewired i reckon . are you still +ve earth or has it been converted to -ve ?
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elseezed » Sat May 02, 2015 9:23 pm

Hi RichC, neg earth and alternator fitted. You're probably right about a rewire as it was updated in the 80's. I am still finding my way round the +2, with no history it is difficult, hence the request for any help with my cars history.
Les
Elseezed
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: