PostPost by: MartinH » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:51 pm

Hello, I actually joined back in 2013 I think but have not really used the site until the last week. I have a 1967 S3 convertible with lots of nice parts on it which I have owned for the last 13 years. I go to the Club Lotus track day at castle Coomb every year and am also a member of club Lotus France. The French club really likes to get on track and I have enjoyed several great days with them. Even managed some laps at Classic Le Mans in 2012 and 2014. I am currently is France with my broken Lotus following a track day at the amazing Monthelry banked circuit 10 days ago. having looked at the posts on the site it is clear I have a broken in board drive shaft, which I am trying to fix today. Thanks to all who have posted the advice and guidance on how to fix this. My official Lotus workshop manual is missing pages 19 and 20 of "section R Final Drive". I bought it years ago new but have never had to use this section before. I will be driving the Lotus from Normandy to south of Bordeaux in a months time for a two week holiday. This is a great trip on N and D roads in France which are usually deserted as everyone parks on the motorway at this time of year. I don/t need to evangelise on this site about the joys of driving these cars on empty roads.
I am looking forward to trading thoughts, ideas and information.

Martin
1967 Elan convertible S4 body and Spyder chassis
Ducati Monster S4
Ducati 1098s
MartinH
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Europatc » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:35 pm

Welcome Martin, I am constantly amazed at the depth of knowledge held by the subscribers to this site
all the best
Stuart
ImageImage
Europatc
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:32 pm

Here are pages 19-20 of Section R

SectionR-19-20.pdf
(30.93 KiB) Downloaded 483 times

Nick
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: MartinH » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:59 pm

Nick

many thanks for the missing pages from the manual, kind of you to respond so quickly. I have just about got the diff out just need to cut the prop shaft bolts off, they are not going to come apart any other way.

Martin
Ducati Monster S4
Ducati 1098s
MartinH
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:47 pm

Make sure you mark the prop and flange so you don't rotate it 180 degrees and introduce a vibration.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:43 am

elanfan1 wrote:Make sure you mark the prop and flange so you don't rotate it 180 degrees and introduce a vibration.

This is only a problem with a drive shaft where you can rotate the uni joint alignment between the two ends. The Elan drive shaft has the uni joint halves welded at each end so not possible to affect their alignment.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:14 pm

In addition to Rohan's comment the prop shaft would not have been balanced with the pinion shaft, bolting up 180 degrees out of phase should not cause any problems. That being said I always mark and rebolt the same way just as a matter of good practice.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MartinH » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:07 pm

Thanks again for the advice and comments.

having read loads of threads about loss of drive and broken output shafts I was well prepared for this and having applied heat the shaft and bearing came out really easily. I was surprised to see where the break was,(see photo) has anyone seen one break here before? Note the twist on the part with the lugs.Also on the same side my Mick Miller solid drive shafts had started to come apart, approx 50% of the bolts were only finger tight. I suspect this was a result of the vibration form this thing starting to destruct.

I took the whole diff out in the end to make it easier to get the end of the broken shaft out and to make sure it wasn't a diff issue that had caused it. All seems fine withe new shaft offered up. (This was delivered in 24 hours by Paul Matty to France, great service as usual.) So now the diff is cleaned and ready for paint and new top mount bushes,(also from Matty) and the new torque rod bushes I have been meaning to fit for ages.

I did mark the prop shaft as per the advice,
thanks.

Martin

I
Attachments
photo 1.JPG and
Ducati Monster S4
Ducati 1098s
MartinH
Second Gear
Second Gear