New Person

PostPost by: Rob LC » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:05 pm

Hi all. I'm looking to store and restore a Lotus. Have looked around the range from Esprit, which are too costly. Love the look of the Elan and, with all due respect to the hardened people here, looks like a car I can take on. I'm a electrician by trade that also is in the construction game. As an 18 year old I invested a small fortune in Snap On tools ready for this moment. I'm 46 now. Have found a 1972 for sale. Pit falls etc please everyone. Love to keep a classic on the road in style. Thanks Rob
Rob LC
New-tral

PostPost by: ericbushby » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:58 pm

Hello Rob and welcome.
You have come to the right place to find answers and solve snags.
I suggest that you join a suitable car club first and get to know the cars as much as you can before you decide what to buy.
For instance, Club Lotus hold meetings in Twyford on the second Monday of the month.
(other car clubs are available)
Look at every car that comes up for sale and remember there will be another along soon.
I looked at eight cars and it took me a year to find one that suited me.
Please let us know how you get on,
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC( is anybody going to Tatton Park on Saturday. I will be at the Club Lotus stand.
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: greg40green » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:49 pm

You mention Tatton Park is it this weekend or bank holiday weekend but more importantly how would I get my Elan on the Lotus show stand .
Thanks.
greg40green
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: dgym » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:00 pm

Hello and Welcome Rob,
I'm a recently new owner (just over a year) and this Forum has been an invaluable resource.
May I suggest just having a bit of a random dig through the forum history and you will discover lots of issues that will arise and things to look out for when buying. (wish I'd done more of that)
there's also a lot of good videos on youtube about the elan such as harrys garage, jay lenos garage wheeler dealers and car sos episodes.
lots of very helpful people here so you've come to the right place.
-Jim
36/6612
1967 S3 Coupe (left the factory in 66)
original rego PPC 8E
original owner B.M. Wetherill ..are you out there?
dgym
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:39 pm

Greg,
Tatton is this weekend, 22nd and 23rd August.
I expect it is now too late to enter your car for the Stand.
First you would have to be a member of Club Lotus, either Cheshire or Lanc`s branch, in which case you would have been informed in time.
I believe you can still take your car along to the Open section without being a club member, but i do not know how to do it.
Turn up and have a chat. You will be made welcome I am sure.
Should be 2000 cars there each day and a large autojumble.
Eric in Burnley
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Europatc » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:44 pm

Welcome Rob
ImageImage
Europatc
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:37 am

Greg
I'll be at Tatton on the Club Lotus stand but only on the Sunday and only too willing to chat lotus. Unfortunately you have no chance of getting in without a pass..

Rob

Pitfalls
Electrics ( you've got that covered ),chassis rust.

Bonus
No body rust, best handling car from the '60s till now, Plus2 well undervalued, 2nd best looking car after the E-Type.

John :wink:
( 68 Plus2 cirrus white , EFI,ABS )
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Rob LC » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:58 pm

Thanks guys. Will have a good look on here before rushing in. Looks like i'm in for hours of research.
Rob LC
New-tral

Total Online: