New member, possible new owner of Elan +2

PostPost by: Parptoot » Mon May 02, 2016 7:35 pm

Hello all,
I've been reading up on here and other resources for a while in preparation for a viewing that may, or may not take place.
I'll fill you in.
I know of a collector who has expensed an interest in my current classic car. It's a very well cared for, mildly modified and near perfect 1971 MG Midget. I had no intentions of selling this but after I had a major refit over the course of the last 6 or so months I've had some thoughts about letting it go.

This collector has an early 1968 Elan +2 (or is it written plus 2) in a dark green. It has a current M.O.T. and is taxed but has a running issue after being left stood for a few years. I'm told it had a major engine rebuild a number of years ago but has been nowhere since. So many questions....hence the reading up.

This all hinges on his approval of my car and me getting a good inspection of his car on a ramp.
Now I'm no beginner really with history in the motor trade and in motor sport for many years but there are so many specifics regarding these that I've needed to spend some time going through the oddities of Early Lotus ownership.

There nothing too worrying so far, much like the MG when I got it. It'll be a learning curve as the wallet will have to be prised open :roll:

Once he's read my summary for the MG and the values I've gathered well go from there, if it gets that far.
More to follow, maybe.

Many thanks so far for a very informative forum,
Mike
Parptoot
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Tue May 03, 2016 4:17 pm

Mike, welcome to the forum, hopefully the sale and purchase will go well for you.

As you have already experienced, this is a great and very helpful forum.

I have early 68 +2, which I have almost finished (how long have I been saying that) a complete nuts and bolts restoration. :roll:
If you require any info, I will do my best to answer.
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Parptoot » Tue May 03, 2016 6:18 pm

Thank you, if this goes ahead then I'm sure I'll have all sorts of questions but I promise to make good use of the search function :)

The path to this purchase is a complicated one but I do want to go in fully prepared.
I have just completed the summary for my car and it makes for good reading, let's hope it hits the spot.

I shall continue to research the possible pitfalls etc.

I have the reg number. Is there a member or contact that may have a pile of history or information about the cars from that era? A register of sorts?
Parptoot
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Parptoot » Tue May 03, 2016 6:29 pm

Ignore the register question, I found it.
Parptoot
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: