Need counseling on getting a '65, yeah I have a miata...

PostPost by: thatmiataguy » Tue May 24, 2016 12:50 am

Ok,
My friend is gearing up to sell his '65 Elan and I have been guiding him to bringatrailer.com but now I am thinking of making him an offer. I have a '91 smurf
blue Miata which is my approximation and more reliable version of what I have always wanted which is an Elan. Seriously it was a Dino 246 GTS or an Elan--I remember calling some dude when I was 18 in Houston with a vague 'Elan' car classified and I was crushed to hear it was a Ford.
Hoping I have made up for my Miata transgression, btw I love it, but the Elan is the ultimate (old meaning which means roughly "final") reason for my Miata. So assuming I have you so far some questions:

1) What is fair market for this car assuming it is a running, not torn up example. I know this is very difficult but just a bracket would be super useful. For example low miles early Miatas are around 7-12k at this point assuming no bad rust or accidents. I just need some ranges. I can't remember miles at this point, car was "restored" once. I know, awfully vague but it is what I have until I start a more serious conversation. If the owner (Hi Mark!)

2) Is there any community that could help me in upstate NY? The car will live in Roxbury NY.

3) Is there a detailed buying guide? Seems like the frame is the big deal. Elan looks very solid to me but what do I know.

Any help appreciated.

B
thatmiataguy
New-tral

PostPost by: DrinkMan » Tue May 24, 2016 2:36 am

2) Lotus Owners Of New York - Loony: http://www.lotusowners.com

I'm not a member, as you can see, I live far away; however, I bought a car from a member and frequent their website for information.
Life is too short to drive boring cars or drink boring beers but not at same time
66 Elan S2 S/E
05 Elise
68 Lancia Fulvia
68 Merc 280S
69 Alfa Spider
72 BMW 2000tii tour
73 Opel GT
73 Triumph TR6
73 Porsche 914
74 Alfa GTV
79 Triumph Spitfire
03 Jag XKR
DrinkMan
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue May 24, 2016 10:33 am

A buyers guide was written by Graham Arnold and published by Club Lotus in the UK many years ago ( about 1981) - you may find a copy somewhere. Title was "The Lotus Elan and Plus Two Buyers Guide 1962 - 1975"

This web site however is probably you're best buyers guide. Take some detailed photos of all areas of the car including the underneath and suspension if possible and post it here and you will get lots of good feedback on possible areas of concern and opportunities for improvement :lol: from people who have lived and breathed every detail of these cars for many years. Collectively this site knows more about Elans than any other place in the world by an order of magnitude and is always willing to share its knowledge and help keep these cars being used how they were intended

cheers
Rohan

PS when I bought my Elan around 40 years ago i had to choose between a Dino and E type and the Elan. I chose the Elan and have enjoyed that decision every since. I may have not had the capital gain of the other cars but I have certainly had much more fun
Last edited by rgh0 on Tue May 24, 2016 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dgym » Tue May 24, 2016 11:17 am

:D
Attachments
screen-shot-2016-05-24-at-9.16.18-pm.png and
36/6612
1967 S3 Coupe (left the factory in 66)
original rego PPC 8E
original owner B.M. Wetherill ..are you out there?
dgym
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: m750rider » Tue May 24, 2016 3:41 pm

Valuation is tough without seeing the car or knowing how much you want it. Hagerty shows values from about $15,000 for one in fair condition to about $30,000 for one in good condition. Go tho their website to get an understanding of their definition of fair and good. hagerty.com

1965 S2 should command a pretty good price, again depending on condition, how well the original restoration was done, how original the car is, etc. etc.

Good luck

Bob

1969 S4 SE
m750rider
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Wed May 25, 2016 1:15 am

I'll buy every single left hand drive 65 Elan you can find in fair condition for $15K. $25K to $30k should be about right if it's in nice condition. A lot more if it's in great condition.
Glen
05 Elise - Back where I started
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car
06 Elise - Track pack
Certified Lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: thatmiataguy » Thu May 26, 2016 12:21 am

You folks, or where I come from originally, y'all are great. I'll ponder, need to see if I even fit with size 13 feet, I have sat in it but not driven, was not good on the sit but I didn't take the shoes off. I must factor in if the wife will remain married to me--she is a good one so it will be tough. It is blue, just like my Miata which I just love in the smurfy blue.

I'll suggest selling here in any case first but bringatrailer.com is a blood bath for miata buyers--can't imagine what a Lotus will generate. Funnily there is a somewhat janky 246 Dino that is at $175k http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-ferrari-dino-246-gt/ which is what I lusted for in the GTS format (targa kinda thing) or the Lotus.

If I show up at a Lotus meet in Miata will I offend folks?

Thanks

B
thatmiataguy
New-tral

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu May 26, 2016 11:35 am

The thing about Lotus people is that they are into to cars for driving. Typically not for show or investment or museum originality. They love Lotus for the driving experience. If your into the experience of driving a sports car then you will be welcome in any car at any Lotus meeting.

cheers
Rohan
Last edited by rgh0 on Thu May 26, 2016 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Thu May 26, 2016 11:52 am

If you want to experience seeing every type of Road going Lotus ever built, come to LOG36. www.log36.com
Glen
05 Elise - Back where I started
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car
06 Elise - Track pack
Certified Lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Thu May 26, 2016 12:52 pm

thatmiataguy wrote:You folks, or where I come from originally, y'all are great. I'll ponder, need to see if I even fit with size 13 feet, I have sat in it but not driven, was not good on the sit but I didn't take the shoes off. I must factor in if the wife will remain married to me--she is a good one so it will be tough. It is blue, just like my Miata which I just love in the smurfy blue.

My size-13 feet work OK if I wear narrow driving shoes. I am about 6'4-1/2" (down from 6'6" when I first owned the Elan) and I fit well enough. My Elan preceded my wife by more than 10 years so I can't help you there!

Drive it, then decide.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: thatmiataguy » Fri May 27, 2016 12:32 am

Thanks for all the support and the miata.net folks were helpful as well. But I think I don't qualify for ownership because I don't have resources to have a great mechanic wrench on it and I seriously should contribute my free time to more important things where maybe I can help like education and research. Seriously I don't even have a garage.

It is a selfish choice to pursue this car. But it represents me turning away from what I can contribute to society--my efforts may be a waste but I should try.

I'll talk to the owner about posting here before bringatrailer.com so you folks have a crack at it.

Sorry for the therapy vibe.

B
thatmiataguy
New-tral

PostPost by: The Veg » Fri May 27, 2016 6:19 pm

I don't have a garage either.
(Granted, that's less critical with a Plus 2 that had shabby paint when I got it)

I also have big feet -mere 12s though- but that didn't stop me from driving an Esprit I used to have, and those are notorious for tight pedals.

A cool car-hobby shouldn't keep you from doing good things in/for the world- in fact, make screwing with cars your way of rewarding yourself for getting the good works done and they might become GREAT works.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: thatmiataguy » Mon May 30, 2016 3:12 am

An update since I owe you fine folks. I just helped out with a photo shoot of the object of my affections and wow it is such a pretty car. Just lovely. Green, shiny, needs some love but runs just fine. And that shifter, revolver like in crispness that conveys metal on metal and no compromises! Really special.

Not for me. Will post images etc. when I have permission and an image provider.

B
thatmiataguy
New-tral

PostPost by: thatmiataguy » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:50 am

Well here it is. Helped with the photo shoot, just lovely car in need of a loving home. I want but I cannot/will not have. I'd still like to know what a fair price
would be--every time I look at it my heart gets all excited.

B

Album here:

https://photos.shutterfly.com/story/id/20040101302
thatmiataguy
New-tral

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:44 pm

There's not much to complain about from those photos! Purists would pick on the carpets and the door vinyl without patterning, those are easily upgraded, but trash those loudspeakers! Otherwise it looks like a good used car.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: