Hello from Holland

PostPost by: peweNL » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:53 pm

Hello Elan fans,

I?m since February the happy owner of this S3 FHC (36/6622). The first 1,000km were a great joy and I regret not buying one earlier: what a great little car to drive.

36/6622 was first registered on 28 Feb ?67 (in the US?) and imported to Holland (2001) and restored by the previous owner. Since little else is know about its history any information is welcome.

Thank you all for this excellent forum. I?m now for about 2 years a regular visitor and impressed by all the information provided; learning every day!

paul.
Attachments
wp_20160423_14_33_19_pro.jpg and
Elan S3 FHC 36/6622
Lotus, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship
peweNL
New-tral

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:24 pm

Hi Paul and welkom.
That's a very nice looking car you have.
Kev.
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanconvert » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:37 am

welcome paul to the friendliest and best informed forum!!!

:D fred :D
'Never give up!....unless it's hopeless.....'

1970 S4 dhc big valve
1973 Ginetta G15
1967 Ginetta G4 [sadly now sold]
1959 lotus elite type 14
Elanconvert
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:42 am

Hi Paul
The Elan FHC are the best looking Elan in my opinion and also the most practical unless you live in the South of France or Southern California or Northern part of Australia :D

It looks like its in great condition. Drive it lots that is what they are for.
cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: peweNL » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:18 pm

Hi Rohan, Yes I also prefer the FHC, in particular the series 3.
Condition is indeed great (many thanks to the previous owner!) but have to detail it a bit further (letters on the boot lid, new dashboard, damper settings, ride height to tackle dutch speed bumps :| ) but that can wait until the winter. Just repaired a dropped side window with faulty fuel gauge next on the list. Lotus, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship :D
Elan S3 FHC 36/6622
peweNL
New-tral

PostPost by: LotusArchives » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:42 pm

Dear Paul,

Your car sale was never recorded at Lotus, so sorry but we have no history. Are you able to send me a image of the VIN plate so that I can get the original engine number or let me know what is says?

Thanks.

Andy
LotusArchives
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:06 pm

Welcome Paul, looks like a really smashing car! :D
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:16 pm

LotusArchives wrote:Dear Paul,

Your car sale was never recorded at Lotus, so sorry but we have no history. Are you able to send me a image of the VIN plate so that I can get the original engine number or let me know what is says?

Thanks.

Andy

Hi Andy
By "never recorded" do you mean the car does not exist in the factory records ? Does this mean It is one the tax dodging cars that left by the back door ?

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:50 pm

Rohan

No, not at all! There are quite a few cars, especially from the time of the move from Cheshunt to Hethel, where the records are blank. It does not mean the car was not built, it just means that, for whatever reason, the records were not made at the appropriate time in the appropriate place.

This is one of the reasons that we need to 'rebuild' the Elan records, as much as we ever shall be able to, for future generations.

Incidentally, whilst we do know that there were occasional below the counter deals done, my opinion is that Lotus was not a bed of tax dodging, underhand dealing, double standards folk. We know that a few cars were went under the radar, but I really don't believe it was more than a good handful. The numbers get embellished by the telling, in much the same way as many people choose not to believe a word Graham Arnold said or wrote, just because every now and again he slightly embellished a story or pulled the listeners legs. Besides, by the time Lotus had moved in to Hethel and become a listed company, they could no longer afford to do anything irresponsible.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bart Jan van der Ceelen » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:57 pm

Hi Paul,

Welcome and good to see another Dutch Elan owner on this forum. I was looking at this nice looking car last year. The story that previous owner then told me is consistent with your post (2001, Florida, restored).

I was particularly interested at that time since the engine appeared to have been seriously upgraded (145 Hp?).

Bart
Bart Jan van der Ceelen
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: peweNL » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:04 pm

Hi Bart,

Yes, that is correct; I had a few months ago contact with EvK who confirmed upgrades such as head (vulcan) and cams (piper). I?m not sure about the hp (still running in) but all other cars on the road appear to be very big and slow :D .
Elan S3 FHC 36/6622
peweNL
New-tral

Total Online: