A new Elan +2 owner in Staffordshire

PostPost by: Donels » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:35 pm

Hello,
I have admired the Elan +2 since I was a lad. Always thought it a lovely shape, as good as any sixties Ferrari. I am now in a position to fulfil the dream and I recently bought an Elan +2 130S 4 speed that was sold as needing some work. It is silver over lagoon blue and came with the engine and gearbox removed. Most parts from the engine bay were in the boot (trunk), but it seems to be complete. It has quickly become apparent that 'some work' is really a complete strip and rebuild. I contacted the previous owner who never had the car running but removed the engine and gearbox during his 2 year ownership. He thought it had been off the road for about 9 years following brake failure. I found an old tax disc for 05 which suggests its probably 10 years.
It has been fitted with a galvanised chassis at some time and strip so far shows it has been reassembled badly and not at all to my standard. While being new to Elans I have rebuilt a basket case before, but this will be 'interesting'.
Fortunately I also have a cherished Mk 1 Elise to keep me sane during the rebuild.

I'm sure I will be asking you guys loads of questions.

Dave
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:51 pm

Welcome Dave!

As a n00b with a Plus 2 project myself, I'll be eager to see how yours comes along.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:26 am

Ask away....
John
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:29 am

Hi Dave and welcome.
I am now entering my fourth year of the rebuild (basket case) :roll:
Best advice I got early on was to take photos of everything before and during the strip downs.
Hope the Elise is enough to keep you sane :lol:
Good luck and look forward to sharing your experience.
Kev.
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:48 pm

Welcome aboard Dave. With a copy of the Workshop Manual, on-line Parts Manual and a bit of patience you should be good to go. For sure ask any questions, including "What the heck is this part?". :) This Forum is a wonderful resource, as we all want to see another Plus 2 saved and running. They are wonderful cars when finished up and running.

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:17 pm

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum.

I am also from Staffordshire and have almost completed a nuts and bolts restoration of my 1968 +2.

You will find the forum members here very helpful and historically there is a mass of data available.
I have been able to answer most of my questions via a search, although it?s not the best search engine, but with some patience you get there.
Any not answered via search have quickly been answered by the members.

As stated above a workshop manual is very useful and there is an online parts manual.

Looking forward to some photos of your car. :D
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: